New WoS and ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: New WoS and ZXDB

Post by djnzx48 »

Mike Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 am
There is no valid reason why new WoS can't support the ZXDB-minted id for titles that weren't in old WoS, thus preserving the ZXBD id. That's already been seen, as new titles not in old-WoS that briefly appeared in new WoS had the same id as those in ZXDB.
When did the new titles get added to WoS? I must have missed that when it happened.
0 x

Morkin
Dynamite Dan

Post by Morkin »

4thRock wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:40 am
Mike Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:44 am
[ test changes in a development or staging area before pushing them out
To be honest this also happens on SC sometimes. I know since I've done it myself :lol:
...You gotta live life on the edge sometimes, eh..? :lol:
1 x

Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

djnzx48 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:39 am
Mike Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 am
There is no valid reason why new WoS can't support the ZXDB-minted id for titles that weren't in old WoS, thus preserving the ZXBD id. That's already been seen, as new titles not in old-WoS that briefly appeared in new WoS had the same id as those in ZXDB.
When did the new titles get added to WoS? I must have missed that when it happened.
In Einar's initial post on this thread, -- if I remember correctly -- he points out that items with WoS ids higher than old WoS coincidentally showed titles that had the same id in ZXDB. And then they were removed.
0 x

Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

4thRock wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:40 am
Mike Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:44 am
[ test changes in a development or staging area before pushing them out
To be honest this also happens on SC sometimes. I know since I've done it myself :lol:
On our hobby- and side-projects we all do it, until we get burned enough, then we evolve to deploying things in a more battle-tested way. :-)

But Fogarty has claimed that at his development experience running police websites and banks, and thus applies that experience to WoS -- at the kind of level he implies, you don't do this, ever.

Note: SC doesn't use Apache to serve up static assets, and I believe it's using PHP-FPM -- which is why SC is still quick loading when dealing with traffic levels multiple times higher than what currently takes WoS down. And on a fraction of the computing power. You (SC) are doing some things right, and better than WoS on a technical level. :-)
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Mike Davies wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 pm
In Einar's initial post on this thread, -- if I remember correctly -- he points out that items with WoS ids higher than old WoS coincidentally showed titles that had the same id in ZXDB. And then they were removed.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was only the banner on the homepage (advertising 24368 titles) that was removed. I can't see any mention of titles being added or removed from the new site since the initial import.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf »

But Fogarty has claimed that at his development experience running police websites and banks, and thus applies that experience to WoS -- at the kind of level he implies, you don't do this, ever.
Well, he likes reminding everyone that he's a super-duper professional with twenty years of experience. And when you talk to him he will mention you a lot of cool sounding technologies that makes you feels he's right.

Unofortunately when he actually implements something it usually has a lot of problems. Like new WOS or earlier the new WOS forum engine.

I'll tell you one thing, people. Being a professional doesn't mean you are good at something. It just means that you do it for money.
3 x

ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Ralf wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:35 pm
I'll tell you one thing, people. Being a professional doesn't mean you are good at something. It just means that you do it for money.
exactly!

also, i have to admit that most "banks" and other "big names" sites are utter crap. slow, overloaded with scripts, with usability worser than a broken hammer, and often full of security holes. so if somebody is really proud of working on that...

p.s.: but i guess he really applied all that expirience to new WoS, so maybe he's not lying here.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Dynamite Dan

Post by Einar Saukas »

djnzx48 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:39 am
When did the new titles get added to WoS?
They never did, but new WoS contains references to them.

At new WoS, BIFROST* ENGINE belongs to a series (of a single program) called "BIFROST/NIRVANA". Although both NIRVANA engines are new titles that don't exist in WoS yet.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Dynamite Dan

Post by Einar Saukas »

Since my last post yesterday, all software comments at new WoS have changed. I wonder if this change is somehow related to anything I wrote? :)

However it was a weird change. Basically all comments were changed from ZXDB 2018 back to Martijn's old WoS content, but discarding title and publisher from old WoS, and keeping IDs in comments taken from ZXDB 2018. It's easier to explain what happened if we look at an example.

Let's talk again about BIFROST* ENGINE. This was the comment from Martijn's old WoS internal file:

Code: Select all

Inspired by {ZXodus Engine|Andrew Owen [2]}.
This is old WoS site using this information:

This was the comment from ZXDB 2018:

Multicolor 8x1 Graphics Engine (18 char columns x 18 char rows). Inspired by {ZXodus Engine|Andrew Owen [2]|0026639}.
"Coincidentally" it looked exactly like new WoS a few days ago:

Now this is the comment from today's new WoS CSV file:

Inspired by {software|0026639}.
This is how it appears at new WoS now:

As you can see, Lee Fogarty removed the multicolor explanation added in ZXDB 2018. He also removed title "ZXodus Engine" and publisher "Andrew Owen" from old WoS. He just kept the ID number 0026639 that was added in ZXDB 2018. This kind of change has been done to all comments in WoS now, thus reading comments at WoS don't make much sense anymore.

Frankly these attempts to disguise using ZXDB 2018 at new WoS are just making everything worse!

NOTE: Reproduced from my post at the WoS forum
2 x

polomint
Berk

Post by polomint »

Jeez, just because he may have done something less good does not mean that the below is true;

`But Fogarty has claimed that at his development experience running police websites and banks, and thus applies that experience to WoS -- at the kind of level he implies, you don't do this, ever.`

We all work to the money and place we work for.

`Well, he likes reminding everyone that he's a super-duper professional with twenty years of experience. And when you talk to him he will mention you a lot of cool sounding technologies that makes you feels he's right.

Unofortunately when he actually implements something it usually has a lot of problems. Like new WOS or earlier the new WOS forum engine.`

yep

`I'll tell you one thing, people. Being a professional doesn't mean you are good at something. It just means that you do it for money.`

Yes, but some of use do it for money, and you cannot disrespect another person unless you have proof
0 x
So far, so meh :)