Suggestions on formatting of code

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions on formatting of code

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention],

I currently just use notepad, but use VS Code for other stuff, so will see if that has some of the functionality you mention. VS Code is good because it runs on both Windows and Linux.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

I’ve found that re-indenting unfamiliar code is a useful aid to understanding it. [mention]Alessandro[/mention] shared a really useful text-scrolling routine a while ago, and walking through it a few lines or a block at a time helped me to understand it better. Nothing wrong with the original formatting, I should say! (I’m very new to assembly so still developing my own taste/style anyway) but I found the process of visually marking each line in way that made sense to me (i.e. to distinguish what’s a label, from an opcode, from a reference to a label, etc.) to be a useful exercise.

When writing my own code I use VS Code which auto-indents each new line, as [mention]chilledgamer[/mention] mentioned. Being able to block-edit chunks of code is really helpful too. Plugins are available to help with syntax-highlighting (which I find helpful) and auto-suggest (but that just seems to get in the way as often as it helps!)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

flatduckrecords wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:48 pm I’ve found that re-indenting unfamiliar code is a useful aid to understanding it.
same here! i'm using this method to understand other people's code for decades.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

So no-one indenting for loops, conditional code etc ???

Just throwing that in there as that was the norm with VBA code where I worked a few years ago, and kind of helped with visibility. Obviously it was not practical on the Spectrum but now everyone editing code on PCs not a 32 column Spectrum
Definition of loop : see loop
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 pm So no-one indenting for loops, conditional code etc ???
it is not even always possible, considering that jumps can create a fine web. it is much easier (and cleaner, i believe) to split the code to "logical blocks" with empty lines.
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

ketmar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 pm
Turtle_Quality wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 pm So no-one indenting for loops, conditional code etc ???
it is not even always possible, considering that jumps can create a fine web. it is much easier (and cleaner, i believe) to split the code to "logical blocks" with empty lines.
Exactly, it's not always possible/useful to apply best formatting practises from higher level languages to assembly.

I have a habit of always putting an empty line after jp/jr/call/ret. I also agree with ketmar that blank lines are a good way of separating logical blocks of code. Multiple lines and/or decorated comments for larger units, aka

Code: Select all

; --------------------------------------
; A new section starts here
; --------------------------------------
Also I generally don't put labels on the same line as code, but that's more down to personal preference, I guess.
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 pm Thank you @Ast A. Moore,

I currently just use notepad, but use VS Code for other stuff, so will see if that has some of the functionality you mention. VS Code is good because it runs on both Windows and Linux.
I use VS code with a z80 formatter/highlighter found on marketplace- works great on Mac as well.
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm I know it doesn't make a jot of difference to the assembler, but it's interesting how some of you are using uppercase, and others lowercase.... Just be consistent I suppose is the answer.
I always use uppercase for the Z80 instructions. Just seems to make them immediately stand out against the rest of the test. That and it's a habit from the past!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm I know it doesn't make a jot of difference to the assembler, but it's interesting how some of you are using uppercase, and others lowercase.... Just be consistent I suppose is the answer.
To me, lowercasing the instructions has always looked neater. Not as SCREAMY AND SHOUTY as using all uppercase. Oh, and it’s too much extra work to hold down the Shift key. ;)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:04 amTo me, lowercasing the instructions has always looked neater. Not as SCREAMY AND SHOUTY as using all uppercase. Oh, and it’s too much extra work to hold down the Shift key. ;)
Next time try using CAPS LOCK :)

EDIT: Jokes aside, I personally think lowercase mnemonics are more legible too.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:20 am
Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:04 amTo me, lowercasing the instructions has always looked neater. Not as SCREAMY AND SHOUTY as using all uppercase. Oh, and it’s too much extra work to hold down the Shift key. ;)
Next time try using CAPS LOCK :)
Funny you should mention the Caps Lock key. I have it disabled system-wide. :lol:

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

What a waste. That key should be remapped as a second Ctrl key, of course :mrgreen:
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I use CAPS for constant values I've defined at the top of a file. Everything else is lower case.

I sometimes extra-indent loops, or the bits between PUSH and POP of data, to help keep track of it.

I also include a file of macros that defines things like SCREEN EQU 16384, and also JPEQ, JPGE and JPLT to use instead of jp nz, jp nc or jp c following a 'compare' as I can never remember which way round to use the last two. It's then a reminder that there's no way to do JPGT or JPLE with a single operation.

Also define stuff like WAIT_VBL as EI followed by HALT.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 amAlso define stuff like WAIT_VBL as EI followed by HALT.
...Isn't that more keystrokes?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 am as I can never remember which way round to use the last two.
I’m in the same club.

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Morkin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:59 am
Joefish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 amAlso define stuff like WAIT_VBL as EI followed by HALT.
...Isn't that more keystrokes?
Yes, by one, but it's also an easy way to remember to do an EI before a HALT where your design needs it so you don't deliberately hang your own code.
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:37 am I also include a file of macros that defines things like SCREEN EQU 16384, and also JPEQ, JPGE and JPLT to use instead of jp nz, jp nc or jp c following a 'compare' as I can never remember which way round to use the last two.
That's a bit like the perpetually cryptic (to me at least!) RRCA and RRA etc. I can never can remember which one does what with the carry and always have to look it up. Maybe some macros to clearly differentiate these would be helpful to? :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Cosmium wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:30 am That's a bit like the perpetually cryptic (to me at least!) RRCA and RRA etc. I can never can remember which one does what with the carry and always have to look it up.
I could never remember it either, that's one of the reasons I did this:

https://www.ime.usp.br/~einar/z80table/index.html

Click on "MISC" at the bottom of that page.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

as we started talking about remembering commands... i'm often looking into Zymosis code to remember details on some instructions. there cannot be a better reference than a working Z80 emulator! ;-)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Good point. I might add RR8 and RR9 to my macros file to remember how many bits are used, as I think RR and RRC are defined the wrong way round.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

. . . to say nothing of the logical and arithmetic shifts. ;)

utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

A round of appreciation for Einar's z80table! Opening that up is pretty much always my first action when doing any serious Z80 coding.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I use a copy an offline copy of this. I made a few corrections to it.

XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Nice to see everyone's approach.

I'm putting labels on a separate line to be more flexible with using descriptive names.

call clearPlayArea

announceLvl2:
	xor a
	ld (flagSkipSegment),a
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

XoRRoX wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 pm Nice to see everyone's approach.

I'm putting labels on a separate line to be more flexible with using descriptive names.

call clearPlayArea

announceLvl2:
	xor a
	ld (flagSkipSegment),a
andydansby wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm My preference has been for camelCase, just easier on my eyes.
...So just out of interest (for someone who doesn't do a lot of 'modern' development), what is it about camel case that you like/prefer?

Or is it a habit thing that's been learned (e.g. Javascript)?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com