New WoS and ZXDB

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: New WoS and ZXDB

Post by Pegaz »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:55 pm
Rorthron wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm What are the odds that Lee will just ignore Einar's arguments and respond with some feeble and false whataboutery?
https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... -db#latest
You're right, all this was expected.
With this autistic approach, he is just deliberately provoking Einar, without direct answer.
What a 42 carat plonker he is...

btw, the "Thanked by" list also deserves attention:
Update 1:
Thanked by (2): polomint, mik3d3nch
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Am I reading the following correctly?

"Firstly, there will never be an agreement as to what happened with the old data. I say it was take in its entirety without permission, Einar says otherwise. What Einar was given (in my opinion as part of the WoS admin group - the facebook group is also called WoS Admins), was the entire database. This was never released by Martijn, nor myself."

Is he saying that Einar was only allowed this data because he was part of WoS Admin (either as an actual Admin or just a member of the FB group) and shouldn't have distributed it as ZXDB?

If so, I also don't understand this contradiction:

"What Einar was given..."
"This was never released by Martijn, nor myself"

Then why the hell would Martijn have HELPED Einar to import the data into a different database structure? To satisfy some morbid curiosity?

I'll leave it others better in the know to put me right.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 pm Am I reading the following correctly?

"Firstly, there will never be an agreement as to what happened with the old data. I say it was take in its entirety without permission, Einar says otherwise. What Einar was given (in my opinion as part of the WoS admin group - the facebook group is also called WoS Admins), was the entire database. This was never released by Martijn, nor myself."

Is he saying that Einar was only allowed this data because he was part of WoS Admin (either as an actual Admin or just a member of the FB group) and shouldn't have distributed it as ZXDB?

Then why the hell would Martijn have HELPED Einar to import the data into a different database structure? To satisfy some morbid curiosity?

I had to read that part twice myself.

And I'm fairly sure that databases have access privileges, if you didn't want data being "stolen" why was Einar given full access? That's what it seems to imply - unless I'm missing something here?
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

namco wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:10 pm
Vampyre wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 pm Am I reading the following correctly?

I had to read that part twice myself.

And I'm fairly sure that databases have access privileges, if you didn't want data being "stolen" why was Einar given full access? That's what it seems to imply - unless I'm missing something here?
The "never released" "database" Einar was given/"stole" was less a database in what we'd traditionally think of as a database and more a bunch of .dat files that he had to have the original creator help him to import into a standard database engine as they were difficult to interpret. I think I have that right - others know better than I.

So the "stole" isn't some hack of the WOS server or any other devious method. He was physically given the files by WoS, presumably by some file transfer method decided between both parties, so this "stolen" nonsense is now apparently to do with that it wasn't supposed to be used to create a database. Even though the conversation initially began to create a database from existing data as no no one wanted a couple of decades of work to disappear when Lee said he was leaving.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

Fogarty:

Ok, time to clear this up. After god knows how many pages of discussions, nobody from ZXDB has contacted me at all.
Fogarty says: "Nobody from ZXDB has contacted me at all". But I see 22 posts from Einar in one thread "New WOS and ZXDB" in the Updates channel, which is the same channel Fogarty posted this. That's the channel people report issues and bugs with WoS.

Are we to believe that Fogarty didn't see that thread on HIS Forum, in a channel DEDICATED to WoS issues, nor did any of the other WoS admins, nor regular member, or they categorically failed to mention it to Fogarty that Einar's thread warrants some attention and a response?

Firstly, there will never be an agreement as to what happened with the old data. I say it was take in its entirety without permission, Einar says otherwise.
*Fogarty* has said *otherwise* on the WoS forum, that he provided Einar with the WoS data files in 2016. The "never be an agreement" is entirely in Fogarty's head. The public record shows there has been agreement between Fogarty and Einar on this matter.
What Einar was given (in my opinion as part of the WoS admin group - the facebook group is also called WoS Admins), was the entire database. This was never released by Martijn, nor myself.
Fogarty gave Einar the files in late 2016. Fogarty invited Einar to join the WoS admin group a year later. So how could Einar be given the data "as part of the WoS admin group"? Chronologically, that makes no sense.
To give you some idea, every single title and release has been manually checked. This has led to tens of thousands of changes. Not just checking titles - this has involved opening and checking every inlay and scan on WoS, commenting on price differences, advertised versions, etc.. It's been a mammoth task.
Every single title and release has been *Manually checked*, so they did see the ZXDB specific information - the broken images in the entry comment (because they used ZXDB image paths), the ZXDB unprocessed related entry links, linking to titles by a ZXDB id minted independently of WoS.

Either that means they did a P?s?-poor job in manually testing, or they knew they had imported the title data from ZXDB.

I made no secret that it wasn't the database we will be using, as it is still being processed (fingers crossed this week). I have said many time here, and on the facebook group that this data isn't accurate and will not be used when our new database is ready to go live.
Is that true? That the current "new WoS" database isn't the database? If that is the case, why is Fogarty deleting the ZXDB-isms Einar is pointing to? WHy not "remind" Einar this isn't the real database.

None of this answers the question of why this database, this WoS database, contains ZXDB-specific data, without attribution?
As of today, the old database can be taken and used at will.
It's been as such since 2016, when Fogarty declared the data open source, and free for the community to use. This is nothing revelatory.
The correct database will be loaded in the next few days.
So new WoS has been running the *incorrect* database for 19 days. 19 days of silence.

What complete hogwash.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Ok, time to clear this up. After god knows how many pages of discussions, nobody from ZXDB has contacted me at all.

Firstly, there will never be an agreement as to what happened with the old data. I say it was take in its entirety without permission, Einar says otherwise. Other have previously said they had the old database anyway. What they actually had was a very small selection exported to a CSV file from the main database. What Einar was given (in my opinion as part of the WoS admin group - the facebook group is also called WoS Admins), was the entire database. This was never released by Martijn, nor myself.

Having said that, like I said, there will never be an agreement. I will however say that the WoS admins are very good at telling me when I am wrong - and in this case all have agreed and stated over the last couple of years that my opinion here isn't wrong. Everyone in the admin group were working (as far as we were concerned) on Infoseek. I should also point out here that our "secret" facebook group is the official WoS fb and currently has over 5,000 members.

So, moving forward....

Having spent so much time with the data, it was clear that there were issues with the database. Issues that were so numerous, the decision was made to rebuild it, using the initial titles as a starting point - people will know this from the old CSV download - there's a lot more to it than just that one file, but it was a starting point. We've posted numerous updates over the last 2yrs, detailing the work we are doing, and where we are at. To give you some idea, every single title and release has been manually checked. This has led to tens of thousands of changes. Not just checking titles - this has involved opening and checking every inlay and scan on WoS, commenting on price differences, advertised versions, etc.. It's been a mammoth task.

As we neared the end of this, I was also putting together the new screens. It was intended to put this live at the end of July. In preparation for new scans (around 300gb), I purchased a higher spec server. Don't forget - we are an archive. It's a lot different to just linking to archive.org and hoping it stays up. This means we currently have 630gb files on the server. Some - such as the new inlays - aren't available yet.

The server move proved to be as bad as the last time, with the old cgi files not playing well. These scripts are almost 25yrs old. The only ones remaining that hadn't been moved to the new website were the infoseek related ones. So, one evening I switched the new pages on. I made no secret that it wasn't the database we will be using, as it is still being processed (fingers crossed this week). I have said many time here, and on the facebook group that this data isn't accurate and will not be used when our new database is ready to go live. However, the way the WoS database is constructed means that we can take change requests - not all can be actioned until we have the new set of data, but a lot can be. WoS has 91 tables in the database.

For an example of how much has gone into this, the old database has 28,699 titles & versions listed. This currently stands at 33,014 - and we haven't completed compilations or mag tapes yet. This is still phase 1, as we also have thousands of new scans to go through - they will be processed after we have finished compilations. This won't mean much to the average user - who cares that there are 5 versions of Licence to Kill and not the 3 currently listed? However, for the likes of collectors, this is important information.

The Infoseek engine currently has 308,807 items indexed, plus over 300,000 indexed, downloadable files. This isn't restricted to software - we have indexed every magazine page separately - something that the old WoS db didn't do. Because of the indexing, it has improved the infoseek results.

As for the data - I appreciate people are waiting for the advanced search to come online, but as it stands at the moment, with pages and sections missing, we still have far more information available to download than ever before - and based on feedback, that can only increase. The API is comprehensive and provides a lot more than the older one, and is also still being built upon. We have built this data up with accuracy at the front at all times. I am sure there will be some mistakes in there - it's to be expected.

So, what now?

The old database is considered legacy. As of today, the old database can be taken and used at will. However, I would like all mention of myself & WoS removing. It is provided "as is" without any guarantee of accuracy or quality.

Post edited by Lee Fogarty at 6:59PM
N Statement lost, 0:858 :)
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Also bear in mind Mike, as Peter said earlier, that he and Einar have had WoS PMs disabled for years so they couldn't possibly PM Lee. That's convenient.

And I don't get the new Infoseek using old WoS data either, that's going to use the "new" database in a few days. So he released the new all singing, all dancing Infoseek the other week with what he admits now was out of date data.

Your magnum opus, that you've said for years is the great work of your time, taking five years with a world class dev team - and you release it with decades old data? Oh, and you've been assuring the community the data has been continually and manually updated behind the scenes over those years. And you release this wonder of the web world but it's not connecting to the latest DB yet?

Jesus...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Edit: Thinking about it, using an older database version isn't unreasonable, just a little... odd. So I retract my previous post.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

They feal cheated and alone. Let the rascals steal a bone.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

For [mention]R-Tape[/mention]'s benefit:
It shouldn’t always fall on the same person to refute this sort of rubbish. There are plenty of others who could do it, and probably do it better than me, but I’ll take a turn.
Lee Fogarty wrote: »
Ok, time to clear this up.
Great. Finally, we’ve been waiting nearly three weeks for a response.
After god knows how many pages of discussions, nobody from ZXDB has contacted me at all.
Hang on… the creator of ZXDB has made 22 posts about this in your own forum over the last 19 days:

https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... nd-zxdb/p1

He has posted detailed and extensive evidence showing how you have taken your data from ZXDB, while falsely accusing him of stealing your data. He couldn’t PM you, as you have blocked him from sending PMs.

He’s also posted all the same evidence at the Spectrum Computing forum, where you have an account.
Firstly, there will never be an agreement as to what happened with the old data.
Why ever not? Surely two reasonable adults could discuss the facts, and work out exactly what has happened. Or are you trying to avoid the facts and turn this into a game of “he-said-she-said”?
I say it was take in its entirety without permission, Einar says otherwise.
It is a matter of public record that you gave permission for Einar to use WoS data to start ZXDB. It is recorded in this thread:

https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... -enough/p1

To summarise the thread, you decided to quit WoS and looked for someone else to take over. Einar offered to create ZXDB to help. You agreed. WoS admins even then praised Einar for the work he did in creating ZXDB.

The data wasn’t stolen. You and Rich Chandler keep repeating this accusation, but you never offer any credible evidence for it and you never offer any refutation of the abundant evidence showing that the data was not stolen.
Other have previously said they had the old database anyway. What they actually had was a very small selection exported to a CSV file from the main database. What Einar was given (in my opinion as part of the WoS admin group - the facebook group is also called WoS Admins), was the entire database. This was never released by Martijn, nor myself.
Einar has already addressed this comprehensively and in more detail than I could:

https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... ailable/p1
Having said that, like I said, there will never be an agreement.
The “he-said-she-said” stuff again. We aren’t discussing the existence of God. We are discussing some pretty simply facts. This issue really can be settled by looking at the facts.
I will however say that the WoS admins are very good at telling me when I am wrong - and in this case all have agreed and stated over the last couple of years that my opinion here isn't wrong. Everyone in the admin group were working (as far as we were concerned) on Infoseek.
Are you seriously arguing “my close mates agree with me, so I must be right”???
I should also point out here that our "secret" facebook group is the official WoS fb and currently has over 5,000 members.
….which Einar cannot see or participate in, so it is secret from him.
So, moving forward....

Having spent so much time with the data, it was clear that there were issues with the database. Issues that were so numerous, the decision was made to rebuild it, using the initial titles as a starting point - people will know this from the old CSV download - there's a lot more to it than just that one file, but it was a starting point. We've posted numerous updates over the last 2yrs, detailing the work we are doing, and where we are at. To give you some idea, every single title and release has been manually checked. This has led to tens of thousands of changes. Not just checking titles - this has involved opening and checking every inlay and scan on WoS, commenting on price differences, advertised versions, etc.. It's been a mammoth task.

As we neared the end of this, I was also putting together the new screens. It was intended to put this live at the end of July. In preparation for new scans (around 300gb), I purchased a higher spec server. Don't forget - we are an archive. It's a lot different to just linking to archive.org and hoping it stays up. This means we currently have 630gb files on the server. Some - such as the new inlays - aren't available yet.

The server move proved to be as bad as the last time, with the old cgi files not playing well. These scripts are almost 25yrs old. The only ones remaining that hadn't been moved to the new website were the infoseek related ones. So, one evening I switched the new pages on. I made no secret that it wasn't the database we will be using, as it is still being processed (fingers crossed this week). I have said many time here, and on the facebook group that this data isn't accurate and will not be used when our new database is ready to go live. However, the way the WoS database is constructed means that we can take change requests - not all can be actioned until we have the new set of data, but a lot can be. WoS has 91 tables in the database.

For an example of how much has gone into this, the old database has 28,699 titles & versions listed. This currently stands at 33,014 - and we haven't completed compilations or mag tapes yet. This is still phase 1, as we also have thousands of new scans to go through - they will be processed after we have finished compilations. This won't mean much to the average user - who cares that there are 5 versions of Licence to Kill and not the 3 currently listed? However, for the likes of collectors, this is important information.

The Infoseek engine currently has 308,807 items indexed, plus over 300,000 indexed, downloadable files. This isn't restricted to software - we have indexed every magazine page separately - something that the old WoS db didn't do. Because of the indexing, it has improved the infoseek results.

As for the data - I appreciate people are waiting for the advanced search to come online, but as it stands at the moment, with pages and sections missing, we still have far more information available to download than ever before - and based on feedback, that can only increase. The API is comprehensive and provides a lot more than the older one, and is also still being built upon. We have built this data up with accuracy at the front at all times. I am sure there will be some mistakes in there - it's to be expected.

So, what now?

The old database is considered legacy. As of today, the old database can be taken and used at will. However, I would like all mention of myself & WoS removing. It is provided "as is" without any guarantee of accuracy or quality.

And….

And….

Is that it?

You’ve written ten paragraphs and not addressed a single one of Einar’s points. Worse, you’ve not even mentioned ZXDB once!

Why does the database you are using exactly match an out-of-date version of ZXDB? Why has it put through verbatim the same hundreds of changes as that old version of ZXDB? Why does it contain multiple links and references to ZXDB? Why has New WoS suddenly started to misspell ZX Spectrum as “ZX-Spectrum” just as a certain Brazilian has for years?

If you intended to use ZXDB for this version, why not say it? And why did you feel the need to keep removing evidence showing you were using ZXDB? If it wasn’t the “real” database, what was the point?

Einar has said repeatedly that he has no objection to WoS using ZXDB. What is unreasonable is that you and Rich Chandler repeatedly make false allegations that he stole the data, while you do exactly the things you accuse him of. What is unreasonable is that you denigrate ZXDB while it seems to be the source of your improvements.

Please stop engaging in this absurd, divisive behaviour. If you want to use ZXDB, use it properly and honestly. If you don’t, just do your own thing. And either way, stop making false accusations.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Rorthron wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:24 am I felt the need to respond:

Excellently written.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Rorthron wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:24 am I felt the need to respond:

You've made some excellent points which I'm sure will all be ignored. And then we'll be back to "Sir, Sir! Einar stole by database!"
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I felt the need to respond:

Thanks for it, Rothron.

Actually while reading Lee's post I got very tired, like I was reading some legal text translated from Chinese through Google Translator ;) There were a lot of words about nothing, completely not addressing the raised issues.

I believe it may be Lee's planned strategy - make it all so confusing and everyone so tired so nobody wants to hear about it and discuss it anymore ;)

Thanks again for not giving up with it.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

heh. if a liar will start publicly responding, that can initiate a real discussion -- the very thing a liar want to escape. that's why Lee never responded to any Einar post, and wrote "non-explaining explanation" post instead. Lee has no facts to backup his point, so he cannot allow any open discussion.

i wonder how long it will take for WoS to get "server crash" that will corrupt forum database, deleting threads with uncomfortable facts.

of course, people posting on WoS forum aren't the target audience of "new WoS", only facebook followers are. so there is no need to take some immediate action anyway. but i sense the inevitable database corruption. maybe even when Lee will apply all his professional knowledge to replace that "temporary" WoS database with the "actual" one.

sorry for spoiling this season's plot twist. ;-)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

How's that..? ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

^^
Glad everything is sorted out

Edit:

Fake news?!! Prince Morkin, I promise you won't ever be crowned king
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

:lol: :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Hroudik
Drutt

Post by Hroudik »

Hello,

I did not read everything but enough to make decission that it is very important to support ZXDB.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! WE ARE RUNNING IN CIRCLES AGAIN!!!

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:Ok, time to clear this up.
Except you didn't. I have proved beyond any doubt that new WoS "stole" ZXDB, despite you explicitly denying it and accusing me of the opposite. You didn't even try to explain anything I wrote.

Instead, you are just following the Trumpesque principle of "never give up no matter how much evidence they have against you, just deny everything then try a different excuse".

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:After god knows how many pages of discussions, nobody from ZXDB has contacted me at all.
"Your honour, the robbed bank should have contacted me first before calling the police!"

Are you seriously suggesting that this problem was caused because I didn't try hard enough to discuss ZXDB with you? I wrote over 5,500 posts in this forum, about 1,000 of them about ZXDB. There are entire threads that I started in this forum exclusively to attempt discussing ZXDB with you. My invitation to join the WoS admin group on Facebook in February 2017 was a direct response to my PM to both you and Richard Chandler, trying to sort this out privately.

Except this time I couldn't send you a PM, because you disabled my PMs (everyone can still see "Roles: No PM" in my profile) and you never answered the reason you did it to me. Even so, this time everything I wrote was posted first in your own forum for the last 3 weeks. Wasn't it enough to "make contact" with you? Then I guess you don't visit your own site very often.

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:Firstly, there will never be an agreement as to what happened with the old data. I say it was take in its entirety without permission, Einar says otherwise.
"Your honour, evidences show I'm guilty but I won't confess, therefore you cannot condemn me since we will never agree."

Except it's too late. Let's see:
Attempting to rewrite history doesn't really work unless you have your own trustworthy portable time travel device.

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:What Einar was given (in my opinion as part of the WoS admin group - the facebook group is also called WoS Admins), was the entire database. This was never released by Martijn, nor myself.
It seems you have fallen into a temporal paradox and got stuck in a time loop.

First of all, you have to decide what exactly your "opinion" means:
  • Are you referring to the time I joined the WoS admin group on Facebook in February 2017? I spent 3 months asking for your new database model (so I could import data from ZXDB for you), you kept telling me it wasn't ready and providing new excuses, until I finally gave up in May 2017. In your parallel universe, it's when I grabbed a new WoS database, travelled back in time and released everything in August 2016.
I will propose something you never considered so far: proof! In the private WoS group you wrote "There is a WoS admins group on FB that Einar was in, and posts still there where I am sending structure/data to him". I'm glad you have evidence of my wrongdoings from a parallel universe (presumably my mirror version is evil). Now you only have to teleport this evidence to our own universe, so you can publicly release our private WoS admin group discussions about ZXDB. Don't worry about privacy, you already had my approval to release from years ago.

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:Having said that, like I said, there will never be an agreement. I will however say that the WoS admins are very good at telling me when I am wrong - and in this case all have agreed and stated over the last couple of years that my opinion here isn't wrong. Everyone in the admin group were working (as far as we were concerned) on Infoseek.
"Your honour, my friends believe I'm innocent therefore I cannot be guilty!"

Seriously?

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:I should also point out here that our "secret" facebook group is the official WoS fb and currently has over 5,000 members.
"Your honour, I made false accusations but they were not secret and I told them to thousands of people!

I never said WoS group was "secret". I wrote "private WoS group at Facebook that I cannot access". Guess what? It's still private and I still cannot access.

Posting false claims about ZXDB behind my back to "over 5,000 people" in a private group doesn't make it any better.

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:So, moving forward [...] So, what now?
"Your honour, I was caught driving a stolen car but I will be driving a different car next week"

Really?

Lee Fogarty;57820 wrote:The old database is considered legacy. As of today, the old database can be taken and used at will. However, I would like all mention of myself & WoS removing. It is provided "as is" without any guarantee of accuracy or quality.
OK, I just uploaded the "old database" here.

DISCLAIMER: These files are provided "as is" without any guarantee of accuracy or quality.

These are the famous "Martijn's old WoS internal files" that I mentioned several times over the years, but never shared before. There are 8 packages, I named them according to the date when I received each file (from July 13th 2016 to August 3rd 2016, except "zines.dat" that was missing and I only received later on February 20th, 2017). If anyone wants to compare these files against ZXDB, I suggest downloading the ZXDB incremental scripts (from the same link provided at the end of my first post). Every single change in ZXDB is preserved in these scripts for auditing, so it's possible to see exactly how ZXDB evolved over time. The ZXDB files are organized as follows:
  • 002 - Scripts to populate enumeration tables.
  • 003 - Scripts to populate a list of magazine names.
  • 007 to 010 - These scripts contain other inconsistency fixes that my conversion system could not fix automatically, so I applied them myself afterwards. I have explained it in August 2016.
  • 011 - This is a script that added SPOT/SPEX content as separate tables. It's basically the same content that's available for download at SPOT/SPEX, except Gerard told me that Richard had already converted it to CSV/SQL, as I mentioned for instance in August 2016 and again in October 2016. [Although I don't recall which Richard so if anybody has this information, please let me know since I just realized his name is missing from ZXDB credits!] Gerard sent me these files on July 13th 2016 but I only added them to ZXDB later because my first priority was converting old WoS, afterwards I started working on SPOT/SPEX in September 2016.
  • 012 to 102 - The remaining scripts contain incremental changes to fix errors and inconsistencies, and add new information. Some SQL was generated manually, others produced from spreadsheet macros, and more recently using an editing tool called ZX-Ed that I created for this purpose.
The organization of these files is still the same that I already explained in October 2016. Although in a certain parallel universe, everything was just a dream.

NOTE: Reproduced from my post at the WoS forum
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Hi [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention]. My advice to you is to walk away from this argument, because after LF's latest post it's crystal clear it will never reach any civil & sensible resolution.

I do realize being slanderously accused of theft, especially when it's blatlantly not true, and after all the years of work on ZXDB (which is then being appropriated by the accusatory party) is very upsetting - but it's just not worth losing sleep over anymore. And these things, as I know from personal experience, can be quite destructive, poisonous and lead to a possible burnout. And nobody would want that since we all really appreciate your work.

You have already stated your case numerous times and made every effort to resolve this in good spirit. The record is there for all to see, and those interested know what's what. It's clear that the others are deaf to reason though, and so from now trying to argue with them you'd be only wasting time and nerves. It sucks, but that's how some humans operate, and there's nothing can be done about it. Instead of writing yet another rebuttal, you could be doing something much more happy and productive. Leave it be and start enjoying working on ZXDB again, in the end it'll be your legacy which is used as a definitive Sinclair database, no worries about that :)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Frankly Einar, I'm not sure how productive is, all this rolling in the mud with Lee.
It's clear to me that you want to clarify every single fact, but keep in mind that on the other side there's someone who simply doesn't care, what are you going to say.
Why?
My impression after all these years, is that he hates you personally and I will say it out loud.
Envy, malice and vanity or some irrational reason that motivates him to behave like this, doesn't matter anymore.
As someone has already said, there's no need for any deeper analysis of such infantile behavior.
Every time you pay attention to him, you just do him a great and undeserved honor.
He showed himself completely unworthy and inferior in the discussion, with the obvious intention of ignoring the truth and making all your efforts meaningless, at all costs.
Only a malicious person can ignore what you have written and suggested in the past few weeks and you shouldn't waste any more time...
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

+1 to what [mention]akeley[/mention] said. As has been demonstrated countless times in the past, Lee and his clique aren't interested in a rational discussion, so arguing with them is a waste of time. Other than that there's no need to defend yourself [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention], you've done more than enough to prove your point, and I don't think anybody on here has any doubts that you are in the right.

I think the best thing we can all do moving forward is spread the word as much as possible and try to save honest folks from getting sucked into the sh*thole that is WOS nowadays.
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

Nobody wants to roll in mud really. It's taking time and forces which could be spent on something better.
But. If Einar just remains silent, then Lee will be the only one who speaks, and he will speak a lot, he wont just stop.

I have the same experience from the very similar situation: if Einar restrains from all this unpleasant discussion, then Lee simply wins. However, chasing every post of Lee is not effective as well, since Lee can throw in a lot of lies without efforts and Einar would spend a lot of his resources to provide some sane arguments. Slandering is always easier than defending, so this cannot be won by just thoroughly answering to any nonsense Lee will come up with.
Einar, instead of this I'm suggesting:
1. Gather some really short and strong facts together in one place (sticky-topic here on forum?).
2. Every time you meet new accusations or old myths, just leave the comment with link. This way Lee will have to spend more efforts for slandering than you for defenses.
3. Stick to improving and spreading ZXDB as much as you can. You have leading positions currently, and Lee is distracting you for a reason: when you spending your moral efforts on defense and finding new arguments, WOS will try to regain what's lost. I can clearly see that WOS doesn't want to be one more friendly archive working on a common goal for the interests of all ZX users, but they would like to be the only archive. So, just don't let them keep you busy with useless bullsh*t.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I'm too for a sticky post visible to anyone who enters the forums explaining all the story. We could discuss it here.

This is a war that can't be won. Lee won't admit his wrongdoings. WOS won't be shut down and I believe we don't want it here.
There will be always a small group of people who believe Lee and a bigger group of people who don't care.

Einar, you put a lot of work into proving your point of view. Actually this effort could go into developing ZXDB.
Or you could just go for a walk in a park instead :)