Little bugs in the database 3

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Little bugs in the database 3

Post by Ast A. Moore »

A Yankee in Iraq

A minor thing, really, but could we add “Interface 2 (left)” to the control options field? Right now it only lists “Interface 2 (right),” whereas the game supports both.

✓ Reviewed
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

King Arthur by East Midlands Software

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry.php?id=9879

It's listed down as "Medieval Legends" but the classified ads say it's a witty Union Simulator with various levels of industrial action, so I'd hazard a guess that it's something to do with Arthur Scargill instead.
✓ Reviewed
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: King Arthur by East Midlands Software

Post by R-Tape »

WhatHoSnorkers wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:46 am https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry.php?id=9879

It's listed down as "Medieval Legends" but the classified ads say it's a witty Union Simulator with various levels of industrial action, so I'd hazard a guess that it's something to do with Arthur Scargill instead.
Post moved to bugfixes. I'd agree with the above. It's always possible that he is depicted in a medieval setting, but there is no evidence of that.

Einar/Dru, in case you don't know, Arthur Scargill is a well-known trade unionist, instrumental in the 1980's miner's strikes.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

World Cup Soccer (1986)
Screenplay (1987)

Both were published in 1985 at the same time as the other title in the series Magic.
All three are shown here: Home Computing Weekly 1/10/1985.

They're all book/software packs so should really be Bookware, but don't fit the current definition: "Bookware means the game was based on a novel(la), which is included in the distribution."
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Gunfright (1986)

was released in 1985. Released "this week" according to Popular Computing Weekly 26th December 1985. Retro Gamer also have a date of 1985, and it's also got a release date on 1985 in Rare Replay: (youtube video).
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:32 pm They're all book/software packs so should really be Bookware, but don't fit the current definition: "Bookware means the game was based on a novel(la), which is included in the distribution."
This definition is similar. So I'm not sure if this definition must be changed... Any suggestions?

EDIT: Perhaps this:

"Bookware means the program was based on a book, which is included in the distribution."

EDIT: On second thought, this new definition suggests that an attached tape containing type-ins from a book would be a bookware. It's certainly not...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

As per 8BitAG's chats with the author Jack Gibbons, can the following corrections be appled pleez:

Personal Banking System (ID 8542)
Was never released for the Spectrum 16K. The system should be Spectrum 48K.

And therefore could the comment be changed to:
Hilton to become the first UK home computer software company to distribute a program as Freeware.

Later versions, with the Bank Reconciliation module built in, were sold by Hilton Computer Services Ltd (£9.95) and re-released by Micromega.
And could it be given the AKA: Sistema Bancario Personal

Personal Bank Account Management System (ID 31752)
Was *not* written by Jack P. Gibbons, so can we please remove his name from that entry.

And could the ZX81 version (ID 31751)
Be given the AKA Gestion de Compte Bancaire
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:50 pm
StooB wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:32 pm They're all book/software packs so should really be Bookware, but don't fit the current definition: "Bookware means the game was based on a novel(la), which is included in the distribution."
This definition is similar. So I'm not sure if this definition must be changed... Any suggestions?

EDIT: Perhaps this:

"Bookware means the program was based on a book, which is included in the distribution."

EDIT: On second thought, this new definition suggests that an attached tape containing type-ins from a book would be a bookware. It's certainly not...
Any definition would need to cover:
Spectrum Bookware which is the book The ZX Spectrum and How to Get the Most from It and a completely unrelated game
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole from Mosaic Bookware which didn't come with the book the game was based on but with a diary
The Saga of Eric the Viking, again from Mosaic Bookware, but doesn't actually come with the book, just excerpts from it

So, if it doesn't have to be a novel, or complete book, or even have the software based on the book, I don't think you can be anymore specific than:
"Bookware means software that was published with a book or novella."
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Please now start using 'Little bugs in the database 4' for new bug reports.

Thanks
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:33 pm Any definition would need to cover:
Spectrum Bookware which is the book The ZX Spectrum and How to Get the Most from It and a completely unrelated game
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole from Mosaic Bookware which didn't come with the book the game was based on but with a diary
The Saga of Eric the Viking, again from Mosaic Bookware, but doesn't actually come with the book, just excerpts from it

So, if it doesn't have to be a novel, or complete book, or even have the software based on the book, I don't think you can be anymore specific than:
"Bookware means software that was published with a book or novella."
What about this:

"Bookware means the program was based on a story from a book, which is included in the distribution."

This away, it doesn't have to be a novella, not even a fictional story. It can be a book describing events from the World Cup soccer, and a quiz game about it. Or a fictional diary as a way to tell a story, and a game based on the same story.

However I don't agree that Spectrum Bookware is a bookware! Just tying together a book and a game completely unrelated to each other (the game is actually based on a story from a different book) doesn't magically turn them into a bookware.
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:58 pm "Bookware means the program was based on a story from a book, which is included in the distribution."
I don't think this definition would quite cover things like Starglider and Knight Orc (both currently marked as Bookware) which were bundled with specially-written novellas -- ie. the story was written in conjunction with the game, rather than the game being based on the story.
cherkasy
Drutt

Post by cherkasy »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 am I recently added Legends Of Bytes to ZXDB. This magazine is an excellent source of information about Speccy game authors! Someone fluent in Russian should be able to obtain lots of useful information still missing from our database.

It's currently published by a guy called Gennadiy. If someone has his contact information and could invite him to our forum, I bet he would enjoy participating in this thread :)
Greetings. I wrote to Your email (einar@ime...), but probably You already have a different email.
04 june 2020, I made a new issue of my magazine (#8) and there my version of Hewson Consultants softography.

Link with pdf - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zlulz0saba6t ... nt.7z?dl=0

Regards, Gennadiy.

p.s. I carefully read the forum threads and tried to combine everything results. I adds some new info from developers (Draughts Genius, C64; Herobotix and Subterranea, ZX; and something else on the little things as releases or unreleases and so on). Jonathan Court and Coxsoft (Ian Cox) did not answer me, although they received letters.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

cherkasy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:17 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 am I recently added Legends Of Bytes to ZXDB. This magazine is an excellent source of information about Speccy game authors! Someone fluent in Russian should be able to obtain lots of useful information still missing from our database.

It's currently published by a guy called Gennadiy. If someone has his contact information and could invite him to our forum, I bet he would enjoy participating in this thread :)
Greetings. I wrote to Your email (einar@ime...), but probably You already have a different email.
04 june 2020, I made a new issue of my magazine (#8) and there my version of Hewson Consultants softography.

Link with pdf - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zlulz0saba6t ... nt.7z?dl=0

Regards, Gennadiy.

p.s. I carefully read the forum threads and tried to combine everything results. I adds some new info from developers (Draughts Genius, C64; Herobotix and Subterranea, ZX; and something else on the little things as releases or unreleases and so on). Jonathan Court and Coxsoft (Ian Cox) did not answer me, although they received letters.
Welcome to this forum!

I added Legends of Bytes #8 to ZXDB, it will be in the next update. Thanks!

Your magazine is excellent. There's a lot of useful information I never saw anywhere else. Have you considered also translating all issues to English? This way, a lot more people would be able to read them! You would probably find someone willing to translate them for you, if you ask around here.

I was hoping you would join us here. I'm sure you will like it, and I'm sure you will be able to provide a lot of useful information too!

Since your main interest are developers of classic games, I will provide a quick summary about our work in this area. Besides identifying the authors of each game, we also try to identify all different roles of each author. You can see all authors and their roles in each game page, for instance Target Renegade. Also you will find a list of all identified musicians, load screen artists, and inlay/poster cover artists here. If you think it helps to provide full lists for other roles too, I can ask Peter to add them.

There are a few sections in this forum specifically about identifying authors and roles, especially this and this. There's some variable delay between someone posting an information in this forum, and it appearing in the archive, because there's a lot of work involved, but we are getting there...

Enjoy it!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Stu wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:58 pm "Bookware means the program was based on a story from a book, which is included in the distribution."
I don't think this definition would quite cover things like Starglider and Knight Orc (both currently marked as Bookware) which were bundled with specially-written novellas -- ie. the story was written in conjunction with the game, rather than the game being based on the story.
Good point.

What about:

"Bookware means the program is distributed with a book containing the program's story."
cherkasy
Drutt

Post by cherkasy »

Thank You very much, I will read Your forum, Present day's, I communicate with one very famous developer who has not been interviewed for many years. Since he answers in English, I will post an interview with him here.

As for the magazine in English. I take most of the information from English sources, I simply combine all this into one whole. My level of English is not very good :oops:

We are doing a very useful job, because in 10-15 years there will be almost no developers left and no one will know the exact information about the video games of the 80s.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

cherkasy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:28 amAs for the magazine in English. I take most of the information from English sources, I simply combine all this into one whole. My level of English is not very good :oops:
Exactly. Most of your magazine content is already in English, especially interviews. You only need someone that can translate the rest.

Please think about it. Then if you decide you want to translate it, either create a new thread asking for volunteers to translate it, or let me know and I will post it for you.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

8BitAG wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:24 pm Corrections and links connected to...
Kevin Maddocks

King Software
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=8082

shares the same postal address as (the later) Sigma-Soft/SigmaSoft
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=13268

See the early advert, which also lists J. Maddocks [Kevin's father?] as the contact name & cheque recipient...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/mag.php ... 91&page=50

So King Software and SigmaSoft [2] need to be linked in the database in some way.

K. Maddocks
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=7796
and
Kevin Madocs
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... el_id=8029

are both actually
Kevin Maddocks

("Kevin Madocs" was misspelled on the Gilsoft's Characters packaging. He was later credited correctly in the Gilsoft PAW manual; as the fonts were reused in that utility. The character sets in the SigmaSoft Characters Collection are the same as the ones in Gilsoft's Characters)

Kevin Maddocks is a missing credit from the
Professional Adventure Writer
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6825
where he should be credited for graphics (as mentioned in the manual)
along with...
Dicon Peeke
[who really should have a database entry... Dicon appears to be missing off some games too, so I will address that at another point]
and...
A. Williams

Kevin Maddocks' text adventures...

Dwarfs Domain
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6238

and

Elfindor
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=6244

are almost identical.

The later game, Elfindor, has some changes to a few parts of the map, tweaked message text, the inclusion of a help command, and a more generous inventory limit.
http://8bitag.com/temp/dwarfs-elfindor.pdf
As a further addition to this... The game, as Elfindor, was mentioned in a Popular Computing Weekly magazine issue from November 1985... So the date of release needs to be altered appropriately.
https://archive.org/stream/popular-comp ... 1/mode/2up
(also linked to already on the game's page)

Kevin's surname is misspelled in a completely different way in this mention... ie. Maddox
✓ Reviewed
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:11 pm Skyfox

Not released in 1985, but on January 6th 1986.
I'm still investigating this. What I found interesting is that there are adverts on the Spanish Microhobby from back November 1985 (https://microhobby.speccy.cz/mhf/050/MH050_35.jpg Dro Soft, including pricing), and another from December 1985 (https://microhobby.speccy.cz/mhf/055/MH055_32.jpg Serma). This seems like a move to promote the game before Christmas, and also, from two different distributors, but since they are promoting a translated version of the game (and +2a compatible), I wonder if this might be true and the game was published in Spain early. The proper review of the game didn't come out until May of the same year, so, perhaps it was delayed.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Mobygames says Skyfox was released in Feb 86. The scanned inlay on that site has copyright messages of 1984 for Ray Tobey (presumably the C64 version) and 1985 for Ariolasoft. Make of that what you will.

I can't help but feel a lot of this analysis of release dates is wasted effort. Evidence like adverts, reviews, copyright dates, magazine news stories, etc are all unreliable. Much of the time I suspect we just can't reach the level of precision sought.

Incidentally Skyfox is another instance where the .txt instructions in SC are lacking. Mobygames has good scans, however.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Rorthron wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:50 pm Mobygames says Skyfox was released in Feb 86. The scanned inlay on that site has copyright messages of 1984 for Ray Tobey (presumably the C64 version) and 1985 for Ariolasoft. Make of that what you will.

I can't help but feel a lot of this analysis of release dates is wasted effort. Evidence like adverts, reviews, copyright dates, magazine news stories, etc are all unreliable. Much of the time I suspect we just can't reach the level of precision sought.
Probably, but there are also reasonable clues, the problem is that often you don't know if you're going into a rabbit hole until you are well into it :lol:
In this case the "Jan 6th, 1986" figure on the magazine seems fair, the problem is that on doing the change I'm indirectly stating that Spanish versions were published first.
In any case, even when we don't reach consensus, there is usually enough material for a quick note.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:42 am Scuba Dive

Re-release #5 has an empty publisher field and should be removed.
In fact, the problem seems to be a tape image from unknown origin that seems to be from the Spanish version, and for some reason was decided to create a new release, but without a publisher. The only known publisher for Spain is Grupo de Trabajo de Software, so I think it is safe to link the image to that release and remove #5. Also, the release list is not properly sorted.

EDIT: Ops, there is also a Spanish release from Intelligent Program, now we are in trouble :lol:
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

8BitAG wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 pm Also, re Eureka, there is this Big-K feature on the game, which mentions Katalin Matsa as having worked on the game (not sure which version)
https://archive.org/stream/12-big-k-mag ... 9/mode/2up
On the game source, there is a message:
GREETINGS FROM HUNGARY¡***EUREKA'84**ªPROGRAMMERSºKATALIN MAJSA ZOLTAN HORVATÈANDRAS FORDOS TIBOR HORVATÈIMRE JAKOBICZ DONAT KISÓ
So, I think it is confirmed, and also, we have other names.

Edit: looking around, Zoltan Horvath and Katalin Majsa are C64 developers, authors of Traffic for the C64. Tibor Horvath (14562) is in fact T. Horvath (14161), Andras Fordos is in base (849), also Donat Kiss (3930).
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

California Games (1987)

Originally scheduled for September 1987, it wasn't released until 1988. The preview in Your Sinclair February 1988 says it's available "now". The PCW review states "It is the first week of cold January and US Gold have finally got around to releasing the Spectrum version of California Games."
The Spanish release also seems to take place around 1988. First mention of the game on January 1988, first review February 1988. The Kixx label started publishing on 1988, so all releases can be moved to 1988.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Human Killing Machine (1988)
was released in 1989. (C) 1989 on the back cover.
The only reference for a 1988 date is a preview. Also, features a dynamic load, so, can be added to that group.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Black Tiger (1989)

Originally scheduled for October 1989, the back of the box shows (C)1990, and the YS preview gives a date of February 1990.
First mention as a "news" on a Spanish magazine is from February 1990 (MicroHobby 196), so, Spanish release was also around 1990.