Transnitron Lives - and my mind is blown

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
OMFG
Drutt

Transnitron Lives - and my mind is blown

Post by OMFG »

I was about to reply to the posts on that other forum as I just happened across the copy of Transnitron on there tonight while googling around.

Last time I saw that game was 1985, the copy LCD uploaded there is an unfinished demo version that was sent to Software Projects, they lost the tape(!) and my own backup failed(!) and as far as I knew in 1985 it was gone forever.

What LCD had to say:

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... ion/25366/

"I think, I got the tape from George Lederer from Hungary, so maybebe someone else will have a working version? It was on the 4th covertape of hungarian spectrum magazine "Spectrum vilag", so there is a big chance, this game will surface again. But until then, it can be added to archive as MIA."

It's a total mystery how this game even still exists, how in hell does a tape software projects lost rock up on a Hungarian magazine cover tape?

This definitely wasn't released by Bug Byte BTW as the credit's with the download suggest... they'd gone belly up before then without paying me for Stay Kool.

Just tried playing it and can't believe what a mess it is lol... funnily enough, the badly sampled voice clips are the only thing that are better than I remember. May have been dicked with and / or corrupted too as there's stuff I don't remember, after 33 years though... god only knows.

I am still stunned... did that old cassette drop into a parallel universe or something? :O
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Transnitron Lives - and my mind is blown

Post by R-Tape »

Interesting! PM sent.
OMFG
Drutt

Post by OMFG »

Cheers. I can't reply to pm's yet, but yeah, you're welcome to host both of my games lol it's not like I ever got paid for either of them. :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks!

I can't look right now but I'll check why newly registered users can't send PMs. I didn't set it so it must be a default.

Either that or it could also be that you haven't voted for Chuckie Egg yet in the poll of best game beginning with 'c'.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I had to get a few forum posts under my belt before PMs were unlocked for me. I'm guessing it's an anti spam measure? Funny how your auto complete spelt Chaos as Chuckie Egg though... :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Hi and welcome to the forums!

It's a shame that they didn't release your game. It's pretty decent and different companies actually often realeased much worse stuff.

But it's good news that it survived. We may never learn the story behind it but if I were to make a guess i would say that:

- it leaked from Bug Byte, someone made a copy for himself
- later he shared it with friend amd the friend shared it with another friend
- finally it reached some "swapper" guy. There were people who exchanged software by mail through all Europe. This way games
and other programs appeared unofficially in countries where it didn't have official release. And he exchanged it with another
swapper in Hungary.

Sure, it was piracy but as you can see it also had the positive side ;)
C.Born
Manic Miner

Post by C.Born »

Is this the game you made?
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0027827

its funny , "sky walker" it says ??
OMFG
Drutt

Post by OMFG »

That's the one.

Where does it say Sky Walker lol well I suppose he does.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Great story :)

Di you think you might be up for finishing it off Leigh, if it's that much of a mess? There are some great cross-dev and disassembly tools available these days :)
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
OMFG
Drutt

Post by OMFG »

Probably not at the moment, have too much other stuff that needs attention and also haven't written z80 since, well 1986.

If I do ever get around to it, would be less trouble to lift the graphics and voice samples and start from scratch.