Other systems authors. To have them credited as "designers"

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Other systems authors. To have them credited as "designers"

Post by druellan »

Hi! Doing the fixes I'm starting to see this situation often:

A programmer creates a game for another platform, like C64.
The game is ported to ZX Spectrum by another programmer.
The original programmer is credited as designer/concept.

A good example of this is Tales of the Arabian Nights (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... ian_Nights), developed for the C64 by Ian Gray but converted to the ZX Spectrum by David Banner. Ian Gray is mentioned on the loading screen but also credited directly as the designer on the inlay.

The dilemma I have with this is to start adding to the database authors that ultimately are not ZX Spectrum developers. For now the rule I'm following is to credit the original author as "design/concept" ONLY if he/she is directly mentioned on the game or the manual. I think it is a good compromise for accuracy and also avoid over-populating the DB with authors that are not Spectrum programmers.

What do you guys think?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Other systems authors. To have them credited as "designers"

Post by druellan »

Another example:
Uridium, the original designer was Andrew Braybrook, also the author of the original C64 version, and Dominic Robinson did the conversion and the graphics on the Spectrum version. Andrew Braybrook is credited as designer on the instructions.