Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 going live tomorrow Aug 11th 2020 9pm BST

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
beanz
Microbot

Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 going live tomorrow Aug 11th 2020 9pm BST

Post by beanz »

Just announced on the Spectrum Next Facebook group.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: Spectrum Next Kickstarter 2 going live tomorrow Aug 11th 2020 9pm BST

Post by Luzie »

Called "ZX Spectrum Next - Issue 2" here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sp ... xt-issue-2

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sp ... xt-issue-2
Additional infos from SpecNext Facebook Group:
John Barker: Is there fundamentally going to be any difference between the KS1 model and KS2 model as I have the KS1 Next?
Jim Bagley: We'll be looking at issues with the first one, so only slight differences John, like fixing issue with back power from HDMI etc.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Excellent. Seriously regret not funding first time around so I'll be a definite.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Now here's a conundrum. Should I or shouldn't I...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Will it be the same price as in the first kickstarter or closer to the prices from the shop?
https://www.specnext.com/shop/

Anyway, we'll find out tonight. ;)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Apparently there will be an Early Bird discount for the first 100. Not sure if that's a good move, seeing as it probably be more of an Early Scalper affair ;)

I'll probably pass, unless the price is relly low (ie very close to the old one). And that seems unlikely. I just have too many machines as it is, and MiSTer was supposed to be my last retro cash splash.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

akeley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:30 pmI just have too many machines as it is
"DOES NOT COMPUTE" :lol:

Nah, I'm actually the same, I'd certainly quite like one but can't really justify splashing out that much.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

I know we will find out all at 9pm, but is there going to be a bare board option? I really fancy making a fancy mech keyboard case to go with my Issue 1 Next.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Hmmm.
Pegaz wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm Will it be the same price as in the first kickstarter or closer to the prices from the shop?
https://www.specnext.com/shop/
"Prices from the shop", eh? You mean there was (last time) a way to get hold of a Next that wasn't via the speculators on eBay but also wasn't through Kickstarter?

Interesting. Potentially useful.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Yes, last time there was a very short period in summer 2017 after the Kickstarter backing phase closed, but before the final supplier orders needed to be locked down and placed, where additional private pledges were sold as “preorders” on the webshop.

It was more of a pragmatic solution than anything philosophically chosen. Kickstarter wouldn’t allow the backing phase to be extended, there was already demand from people who didn’t hear about the campaign in time, and for that short period of time it didn’t affect the manufacturing phase to accept a few more orders.

Also, back in February this year about a dozen “spares” were sold in the webshop after SMS confirmed they didn’t need them to cannibalise for parts or repairs. They sold out within seconds.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

£280? Ouch!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Fully backed past the £250K goal in five minutes, wow!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Early Bird sold out in 2min 10 sec.

I made my mind up earlier not to back it, then in the last 20 min prior got into the buying fever and was there at 20:59, hitting F5. But, yeah, 280 was a bit of a cold shower.

Wish it all the best, but I will stick with MiSter for now ;)
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 pm£280? Ouch!
That ship has already sailed...300 quid now.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

akeley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 pm Early Bird sold out in 2min 10 sec.
When I browsed to the page the early bird still had 47 left.. by the time I'd figured out how to pledge, about 30 seconds later, it had sold out. :shock:

Pledged anyway. Can't wait for Next year!
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

akeley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 pm Early Bird sold out in 2min 10 sec.
Probably much quicker than that, due to lag. I reckon I had clicked through by around 20-30 seconds past the hour, but the payment processing lagged out for a few minutes, then I got a message saying the reward had already gone.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Missed out on the £280 as I dithered for thirty seconds. Bit more than I wanted to pay at £335 (went for the accelerated at £325) but I've been eBaying loads of stuff recently specifically for this (and a PS5) so I'm not too bothered. I'd have been more gutted not to have had one than an initial steep outlay.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

I have pledged for a plus. It was £50 more than I expected which hurts a little, but I am happy I made a good decision. It was only a week or so ago I watched fools spending over £800 on these on eBay.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

It's like watching a pinball game score go up with the pledges right now, almost 1/2 a million quid in 30 minutes. Insane. Just bought a second, for the grand kids - 'in my day you had to load a tape, uphill, both ways'
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

If Spectrum was my only 8-bit love then I would get it, no doubt, even with that hefty price tag. As it is though, I need to actually downsize a bit and start using more of the hardware which I already have.

I'm very happy it's so popular though*, it will mean an influx of active new users and more quality software.

*while remaining hopeful that most of the buyers are actual Sinclair fans and not the, ahem, ebay "investors" ;)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

The initiators of the second kickstrter obviously showed respect for the original bakers, who took much more risks and waited three years for Next.
The current bakers risk almost nothing and $400+ is a fair price.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Description mentions the taxman being the biggest culprit for the price increase over last time. If that's the case and they had to personally foot the bill then it's understandable. Little bit annoyed it's cost so much in hindsight, but it's something that's only going to increase in value from the moment I get it and I was even looking at grabbing one from eBay. That is until I fell off my chair at the start prices.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

A million bucks in just 12 hours. Impressive.
Obviously, the price was chosen very wisely...
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Kickstarter campaign just broke the 1 million GBP mark! Amazing!

Also BBC covering it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53765852 containing a screenshot of Melkhior’s Mansion.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Today is a good day.

Two weeks ago or there abouts, I listed a few bits and pieces on eBay that I haven't needed for well over a decade in some cases, which I'd been putting off for ages as I've always been a bit suspicious of buyers who seem to hold all the aces. It was my old bass guitar equipment (not high-end stuff), some almost-working hi-fi amplifiers, a PA power amplifier... and a Tascam Portastudio 424 that had barely been out of its case in the last 18 years.

I looked around for priced of tape-based 4-track recorders, and found a couple on the other side of the Atlantic - one in the US, one in Canada - with starting prices over the equivalent of £150. So I opted for £130, thinking that it wasn't likely to sell very quickly and would have to be relisted several times. Still, eBay would let me relist it for free for now, as they had a free-listings promotion throughout August, so I was prepared to play the long game. Imagine my shock as someone actually bid on it first time round. Imagine my further shock as it climbed to £195. And within the last few minutes, while I was watching Lewis Hamilton reduce the Belgian Grand Prix to a foregone conclusion, somehow it went stratospheric.

This morning, the 424 was delivered to its new owner in Brighton, who's promised to use it to make experimental lo-fi tape-loop music with it... and it was his for £318. Even after the extra postage to cover the transit insurance, PayPal's fees and all that, I was £300 in the black just on that one auction. That, and the few other items I've sold (one bass guitar, an overdrive pedal and both mildly defective amplifiers), mean that I was in the position to buy a Spectrum Next without a further second's hesitation, rather than having to budget around it while the expensive bits waited to be sold.

So I just did. In August 2021, provided there are no delays (and the team know what they're in for this time round), I'll be joining the Next club.

Anyone else with stuff to dig out your attic and sell, now's a good time to do it.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!