What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeterJ
Site Admin

What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Post by PeterJ »

So, over lockdown I've been playing with all sorts of 8bit computer systems. I think it's helping me appreciate the Spectrum even more.

However there were some games exclusive to other platforms. What's your favourite? It could also include a title you feel plays better on another platform.

Just to be clear this is 8bit computer systems, plus the 16bit TI99/4A. Consoles are not included. Machines from the 1980s only please.

I will kick this off with Elidon.

https://msxgamesworld.com/software.php?id=1541
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Post by Joefish »

Funnily enough, The Eidolon looked better on the C64 and Atari, though I'm not hugely fond of any particular version!

Wizball, being based entirely around colour, is one I'd rather play on the C64 than the Spectrum. And the Atari ST menu disk in general circulation with it on is screwed up and doesn't play the later levels, so again, back to the C64.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

With you asking what you enjoyed (rather than what was 'good') I'm going to go with RADAR RATRACE on the Vic20.

Be under no illusions this isn't great. It's a clone of Rally-X. Rally-X was a game I'd watched playing in the seaside arcade (specifically Miller's Amusement Arcade, in Chapel St Leonards. Which is still there, but looks different 40 years later. Different insofar as the arcade machines have changed. I found a youtube video of someone going around it recently). When I was visiting in the early 80s the amusements had lots of electromechanical machines at the back, one armed bandits and a growing number of video games which increased each year. Rally-X was one of the early ones, and at 10p a go was far too much for one play. Especially when there was the 1p 'drop-the-coin-in-the-top-and-then-it-dropped-between-the-pins-a-bit-like-pachinko-or-peggle-and-sometimes-it-would-fall-into-the-win-sections-that-made-the-wheels-turn-like-that-'downfall'-game-that-might-win-you-up-to-10-pennies-back'.*
Anyway, I was transfixed by Rally-X (attract mode), but never played it. I'd seen Boot Hill and then Space Invaders in The Vine pub (also in the same seaside village). But this looked AMAZING. Racing cars in a maze! Getting flags. I even watched other people play it. Though I never played it myself, but I still loved it.

At home, miles from the seaside I was given a ZX81. I think this would have on my birthday in 1982. This was also AMAZING. I could make things appear on my telly! And explored BASIC, albeit within the confines of Black and White, and in silence.

Then my best friend, Akash, got a VIC-20. His family were rich beyond my wildest dreams. He had a pet parrot. And a VIC-20. With RADAR RATRACE. And there it was RALLY-X but in my home (well, in Akash's home). AND I GOT TO PLAY IT!!!!

Returning to it now the musical loop (of ThreeBlindMice, played badly) is up there with Booty level of annoying. But back then I was in heaven. Also he had a parrot! How cool is that?!

* I don't know what this machine was called, and I can't find a picture. But I really liked it. It was taller than a 10 year old me, and ate nearly all my seaside spending money - which was typically 10p, in penny pieces on the days we went into the village near the amusement arcade. I also liked the ones where you rolled a penny onto a moving track, and it had to land between the lines to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo3KG5D-EAQ
CLEAR 23855
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I usually play arcade games on MAME (Frogger, Scramble, Donkey Kong, KF Master, ...), as well as DOS games on Dropbox. Along with the Spectrum, they're the three main 8bit fave systems.

I seldom play NDS (own machine) or GBA games (via emulator).
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I enjoyed playing Green Beret on the MSX - mainly because it was on a cartridge and you didn't have to wait for it to load! I've never seen another MSX cartridge in my life though.

Also Mappy on the MSX (cassette) - it's a fun arcade game contemporary with Pac-Man and probably the earliest colour video arcade game I ever remember seeing (i.e. mechanical shooting galleries, Space Invaders, then this). I don't think there were any other 8-bit computer conversions of it. There was a NES version and there's now an Atari 2600 Homebrew version. I also have one of those 6" mini arcade cabinets that plays it (a thinly disguised NES version, at least).
+3code

Post by +3code »

The versions of Bogaboo for ZX81, C64 and MSX are good and fun to play.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I was a massive fan of Cuthbert goes walkabout on the Dragon 32 we had in '82. A few years back I bagged myself a mint Dragon of Gumtree for £20 and the first thing I did was CLOAD Cuthbert and it was as much fun as it was 38 years ago. The Dragon also had an excellent version of Donkey Kong called Donkey King (not really sure how the got away with that) :shock: :shock:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I enjoyed playing Green Beret on the MSX
Green Beret on MSX is generally considered a very bad port.
Have a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL_kfUUkAuE

Slow, jerky scrolling, lame sprite graphics, few sprites on screen etc. Much worse than Spectrum on a machine more powerful than Spectrum.

but this explains it a little bit ;) :
mainly because it was on a cartridge and you didn't have to wait for it to load!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 pm So, over lockdown I've been playing with all sorts of 8bit computer systems. I think it's helping me appreciate the Spectrum even more.
A true Sinclair man, through and through :) I love comparing games across various platforms, but I'm afraid that despite my first-love sentiments towards the ZX I do find most of the other versions superior, though not always by as huge a margin as most other micros' fans like to claim.

But some definitely are. For example Ninja on Atari is just on another level entirely from the ZX version. It's really worth trying, has amazing music and gameplay. Another "huge gap" game would be Mission Elevator. It really shines on the CPC.

As for quality exclusives, a few for starters: on C64 Project Firestart springs to mind, CPC has Sorcery, and Atari 8 bit....ummm...not sure :D Everything good they have I think got ported elsewhere.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

There are a few Atari VCS games I still like to play and would like to port to the Speccy some day.

Adventure (with dragons that looked like ducks)

Combat (mostly the tank game), Warlords the (ULTIMATE multi player game), Maze Craze. These 3 are all multiplayer, graphics little better than the ZX81 in colour but still great fun.

Of the arcade conversions Millipede and Asteroids were quite fun on the VCS

On the Amiga; Kick Off 2, Championship Manager, Lemmings, Pinball Dreams, Sim City, Dynablaster (ideally 5 player), Skidmarks (preferably 4 player)
Definition of loop : see loop
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Star Trek on the Gameboy
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Probotector is still a brilliant GameBoy game. I'm not much of a fan of the Contra stuff, but this one works really well.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

My favorites on the C64: Fort Apocalypse, Tapper, The Last Ninja, Flimbo's Quest, Turrican, International Karate, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Track And Field, Wizball, World Games, Curse Of The Azure Bonds, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKraken And The Alien Mindbenders and Apollo 18.

I did not experience gaming on any other 8-bit platforms to be honest, save for trying Renegade on the CPC 464 once. The scene here was dominated from about late 1985 on by the C64, followed by the Spectrum. Other platforms were extremely rare in comparison.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you for all the comments. The specific question was about 8 bit computers :D

Funny how topics wonder! It's all good.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

If strictly speaking about home-micros and no consoles, then Samurai Warrior – The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo is my favourite Commodore 64 game. Not an exclusive, but a vastly different experience when compared to the Spectrum version.

The combat in the original c64 version is explosive, dynamic and pretty advanced for its time with a combo system that requires skill to master. Conveniently this version has a training stage to practice your movement and timing. The enemy AI is very believable and always keeps you on your toes. There is also a useful combat move and a very rudimentary leveling system that are missing in the Spectrum version.

There are even more events along the way on the c64. Meeting Nobilities with their Bodyguards, Monks that recites Koans and Tokages lizards that you can befriend just like in the comics, adding to the immersion. There's also an exclusive boss, a mountain Troll, that you may meet on your path and a final boss fight, versus two Monks, that are absent in the Spectrum game.

It features fast, colourful, near-fullscreen graphics and a great soundtrack (with simultaneous sound effects). It's rock hard, but doable with practice and it even has a proper ending to boot.

In comparison, the Spectrum port moves at a snail's pace in a small window, the combat is way too basic and the enemies are way too easy, they just jump around and can be avoided without much effort. There is not much difference between the only two enemies available there either (and the Ninjas are also way over-represented). It uses exactly the same level background layout three times in the game and almost all stages look pretty samey anyway.

Now, the Spectrum version is not a bad game, but it lacks so much of what made the original so wonderful. One thing I really liked about the Spectrum game though, is the random Ninjas in disguise, on the c64 they are all predetermined.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:31 pm Thank you for all the comments. The specific question was about 8 bit computers :D

Funny how topics wonder! It's all good.
Oh what now you expect us to read your questions before answering them ?

:oops:
Definition of loop : see loop
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Feud on the Amstrad.

I really love the game on the Speccy, and I know how to complete it every time. It's pretty much the same on the MSX and Atari 8-bits, albeit slower (much much slower on Atari, like you're walking through puddles of superglue).

The Amstrad CPC is like a fresh Feud challenge for me, because the map defies all other versions. It's like the Spectrum one got put through a blender - it's all set out differently. I've yet to beat it.

https://youtu.be/Zkg029Z_z64?t=451
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Do Dos games count?
I played through the first 3 Ultima games recently.

I'm more of a console gamer normally, except for the Amiga and Spectrum.
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

I still enjoy Starship Command on the BBC Micro

https://youtu.be/WRBrWZlofhg

And while you're at it, try out Hellforce and Microbe if you like frantic shoot-em-ups
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Exile - BBC Micro. (1988) I mean, it's great. Mysterious, huge, colourful, pretty, overwhelming. I don't know what I'm doing, but it's still great. It feels like the game Lunar Jetman could have been. Without an investment of time with the keys you'll just be drifting around aimlessly, but even that is fun it itself. Go and have a go now, I can wait.

Alter Ego - C64. (1986) An oddity this one. A series of multiple choice questions, framed as a personality quiz. It's funny, thought provoking, and possibly quite sad. I can't decide if it wants to be taken seriously, or it's gloriously taking the P?s? out of self-help/personality tests. Nonetheless I do enjoy it. Spend 15 mins with it, see if you like it.
CLEAR 23855
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I love the sound on the C64 version of Beach Head.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

uglifruit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 am Exile - BBC Micro. (1988) I mean, it's great. Mysterious, huge, colourful, pretty, overwhelming. I don't know what I'm doing, but it's still great. It feels like the game Lunar Jetman could have been. Without an investment of time with the keys you'll just be drifting around aimlessly, but even that is fun it itself. Go and have a go now, I can wait.
Looks good [mention]uglifruit[/mention]. Will give it a play on an emulator tonight. I've always struggled looking at BBC games. To me it always looks like the screen is distorted. I'm assuming it's something to do with the screen resolution?

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=709
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]Ersh[/mention] Agree on what you wrote about Samurai Warrior; on the Spectrum the game was decent, but on the C64 it was definitely deeper and more atmospheric.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

akeley wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:47 pmBut some definitely are. For example Ninja on Atari is just on another level entirely from the ZX version. It's really worth trying, has amazing music and gameplay.
I used to play that a lot on the Amiga (Ninja Mission), it's great on that too. :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

It's great being able to enjoy all these games on different platforms via emulators (avoiding spending exorbitant prices in eBay), but this recent post via [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] did make me laugh as I was playing Spectrum games on my Ryzen 7 with 64GB RAM and 1TB Samsung Pro Evo SSD.

https://twitter.com/iHarbonaut/status/1 ... 6136237057