ZX faceplate issues

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Nateo87
Drutt

ZX faceplate issues

Post by Nateo87 »

Hey all, newbie Spectrum owner here! I just built myself a Harlequin 128k and got a full, brand new rubber key case from ZX Renew to put it in. However, I'm having a little trouble getting the faceplate to fully stick down on the case. The double-sided tape it came with isn't quite sticky enough, though. What does everyone recommend for getting the faceplate to stick? Any recommended products? Thanks all!
rimmeruk
Drutt

Re: ZX faceplate issues

Post by rimmeruk »

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you are aware that the new rubber keypads have locating holes which are usually not fully exposed. Make sure
the keypad is flush and firmly in place in the case. The sticky tape should be 3M labeled and is very very sticky, I have purchased a plate
from ZX-Renew and they use 3M tape.

You should lay the plate over the keyboard and case first before removing the backing paper, this is to check that everything is flush and aligned correctly before the plate is finally stuck into place. You did do this didn't you ? :oops:
Nateo87
Drutt

Post by Nateo87 »

Yes, I did indeed follow those steps. I even watched a couple videos of assembly on YouTube to make sure everything was laid down exactly as it should be. The faceplate still pops up a bit on the top edges.
rimmeruk
Drutt

Post by rimmeruk »

Is it a standard 16K/48K case or re-designed one ?

Can't say I've ever had issues with face plate not sticking. Can you post a photo of where the face plate is not holding down.
Nateo87
Drutt

Post by Nateo87 »

Its a brand new case from ZX Renew. I cant get away from work to take a picture of it at the moment, but basically the full top along the uppermost row of keys isn't staying put. The bottom part is fine, though.
rimmeruk
Drutt

Post by rimmeruk »

OK, the top lip is very thin and has much smaller surface area for the tape to stick to. Just make sure that the tape is actually making full contact with the top lip. The tape should be very sticky, so much that it is hard to pull your finger from it, if it is just slightly tacky then it won't hold the plate down well.

All I can suggest is a thin layer of contact glue along the top lip and hold it down for an hour with some masking tape. Don't use super glue as it will react with the plastic and is impossible to remove if leaks onto the outside.

The 2 sided 3M tape is a permanent tape and once stuck down you find it very difficult to remove. A warm hair dryer will help remove the face plate and release the tape glue, not too much heat though as it will warp and bubble the plate. I use label remover spray to remove the tape from the plate and case. You can then purchase some thin strip 1cm 3M tape from heebey, it's usually sold in rolls for around £5.
Nateo87
Drutt

Post by Nateo87 »

rimmeruk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm
All I can suggest is a thin layer of contact glue along the top lip and hold it down for an hour with some masking tape. Don't use super glue as it will react with the plastic and is impossible to remove if leaks onto the outside.

Thanks for mentioning this, because I did have half a mind to try super glue! I have some contact glue, and some double-sized, heavy duty 3M tape, but I might go with the glue as I'm worried about adding unnecessary height to the faceplate.

Thanks so much for the helpful advice!
rimmeruk
Drutt

Post by rimmeruk »

No problem, and yes adding 2 layers of tape will not flush with case and look terrible. If you have the paitence and nerves then replace the tape, otherwise stick with the glue (no pun intended) :)
Nateo87
Drutt

Post by Nateo87 »

Contact glue did the job! There's some tiny parts along the edge that need a little sprucing up due to the glue eeking out just so, but that shouldn't be a problem, and it looks great otherwise. Boy howdy though, that lip by the top row of keys is tricky.
rimmeruk
Drutt

Post by rimmeruk »

Great! usually the force of the 2 sides is enough to keep the top plate flat over that part of the case, but I guess a little warping the plate can make it lift up and not stick well.

So do we get to see the result 8-)
Nateo87
Drutt

Post by Nateo87 »

rimmeruk wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:07 pm
So do we get to see the result 8-)
Well, since you asked :D
Here's my humble little Speccy setup and a close up of the machine itself.

rimmeruk
Drutt

Post by rimmeruk »

I nice cosy little setup with some freshment oktoberfest beer, German beer is the best there is, it's hard to find a good strong German beer here in the UK. You're gonna need a few beers if you are loading games from that tape machine :lol: