What do you now know many years later

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: What do you now know many years later

Post by Ast A. Moore »

presh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:26 pm I only recently found out that you can throw people in Renegade. 128K only, mind - I only had the 48K version back in the day!
Ditto!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

That Turbo Esprit had working traffic lights. :lol:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

I now know games with Kangaroos are bad.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

A couple more that spring to mind:

1. Assembly programming - I didn't really get anywhere trying to learn this; coming from a BASIC background I didn't twig that you could just store things directly in the Speccy's memory, like "LD (32768),A". I thought you had to hold all your game variables in the few registers available to you, or use PUSH/POP to store/retrieve them in exactly the right order from the stack.

2. BASIC programming - I never got why people used keywords like "VAL" and "NOT PI" in BASIC rather than 'regular' numbers. When I saw them in programs I thought it just looked a bit bizarre.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
MrBlaz
Dizzy

Post by MrBlaz »

presh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:26 pm I only recently found out that you can throw people in Renegade. 128K only, mind - I only had the 48K version back in the day!

I think it's UP + BACK + FIRE while grabbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxuIMhj6c4
:o :o :o :o shock and awe!

For my part, I discovered a few years ago that when you play Exploding Fist with keys, you can make diagonals pressing UP/DOWN + LEFT/RIGHT. That is, you can use 5 keys instead of 9 :D
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

bluespikey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pmMy own shocker is that the laser swords on Rebelstar could cut through airlocks.
:o
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 pm Horace's ponytail.

That was shocking.
I second that. For me, Horace will always have arms.
Ralf wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:48 amFor many years I believed Speccy is prounounced like Lucy, not like Becky ;) With "si" at the end.
When I discovered Spectrum emulation through the Internet in 1997, I was surprised to see this "Speccy" thing popping up everywhere. Nobody here would call the Spectrum that way. Just a few years ago, by casually watching some Youtube video I cannot remember, I found that it was pronounced "Spek-KEE" instead of "Spec-CHEE" as I believed.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I bought the "Automata 10 Pack Volume One" when it was released loved it's quirkiness (with Pi-Balled and New Wheels John being particular favourites of mine). It was only in ~2017 when reading Mel Croucher's book "Deus Ex Machina - The Best Game You Never Played in Your Life" that I came across his company's slogan "There's no blood in our games, it's Automata sauce" and realised the pronunciation of the company name Automata must have intended to be aw'toe'mar'ta which I'd always pronounced aw'tom'uh'ta in my head. That blew my mind!

Another...
Not so many years for the penny to drop with this one, but "NEXT D.A.W." (on the Spectrum Next) the Digital Audio Workstation (well, sequencer). I teach music technology for my job, and I say 'D.A.W.' and 'DAW' a lot. I'm very used to it meaning Digital Audio Workstation. I was very eager to try this Next sequencer when I first saw it mentioned as being in development, but it took me until this summer to get around to buying a physical copy of it. I had owned it for about two months before I said it's name out loud and realised I'd just called it "Next Door". I'd not spotted the pun name until that point.
CLEAR 23855
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:48 amFor many years I believed Speccy is prounounced like Lucy, not like Becky ;) With "si" at the end.
What???

Next thing you gonna tell me is that ZX-Spectrum is not spelled with a hyphen!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:48 am For many years I believed Speccy is prounounced like Lucy, not like Becky ;) With "si" at the end.
:shock: :o
Cast this scoundrel into the chasm!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I didn't even know Spectrum was called 'Speccy'.

And I don't want to tell you how I prononunce it... :roll:
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:48 pm 1) That the ZX Spectrum didn't just arrive on the market and there were loads of games on the shop shelves from day one. It took much of 1982 to go from mail order tapes to actually being commercially available on the high street, and even by the 1982, games were rare for shops.
I ordered my Spectrum the day after it's launch, and so got it pretty early. When I asked Quicksilver at a ZX Microfair if they had any games ready, they offered to buy my Spectrum as they still didn't have one ! But since kids were forced to write their own or wait in 1982, I wonder how many famous software developers started with that push...
Definition of loop : see loop
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

uglifruit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm I came across his company's slogan "There's no blood in our games, it's Automata sauce" and realised the pronunciation of the company name Automata must have intended to be aw'toe'mar'ta which I'd always pronounced aw'tom'uh'ta in my head. That blew my mind!
That's new to me too. I used to pronounce it "AW-toe-MATE-ah", until I heard Paul J on the Spectrum Show pronouncing it differently... :shock:
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

bluespikey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pm ...some people left who are stunned to discover that Jetpac had a hover key
Wuh?! It does? Which key?!
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Morkin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 am
uglifruit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm I came across his company's slogan "There's no blood in our games, it's Automata sauce" and realised the pronunciation of the company name Automata must have intended to be aw'toe'mar'ta which I'd always pronounced aw'tom'uh'ta in my head. That blew my mind!
That's new to me too. I used to pronounce it "AW-toe-MATE-ah", until I heard Paul J on the Spectrum Show pronouncing it differently... :shock:
Huh? Whort are you taylking about? :shock:

You say 'Carmina', I say 'Carmana', you say 'Burina', I say 'Buranah', let's Carl the whole thing Orff. - Victor Lewis-Smith
Last edited by Joefish on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

So mine is -- or I suppose was, as this isn't really a recent realisation so much as one that happened in adulthood -- that so many of the 1980s' software houses were literally based in houses (...flats above shops... garden sheds).

In my childhood mind, these businesses all existed in vast buildings with their own freeplay arcades, 24/7 bars and canteens stocked with exotic produce and garages full of super cars. Of course, in some cases that was at least partially true (Imagine) but I realise now that all too often the prosaic reality of the old-school software house was one-man-band coder outfits or a couple of spivs operating out of their own front rooms, exploiting talented local youngsters for profit.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Again, I assumed that companies like Ocean owned the whole building, rather than being a few tiny offices and people sat at desks in nooks off the corridor. And tales of basements with no windows and people smoking all day and sleeping under the tables at night... :?

I once got offered a choice of redundancy or moving to a former telephone exchange building, working in the room where the old mechanical exchange used to reside. A huge place for a small team with great high ceilings, but the only windows were narrow slits some 3m up the wall as it was really the basement and half a floor above. Thanks but... cheque please!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 pm
If he didn't have arms, how would he go skiing?
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Post by smurphboy »

5MinuteRetro wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 am
bluespikey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pm ...some people left who are stunned to discover that Jetpac had a hover key
Wuh?! It does? Which key?!
Number keys will do hover
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

RWAC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:28 am
Alessandro wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 pm
If he didn't have arms, how would he go skiing?
...Or jump from rope to rope in the second stage of Horace & the Spiders?
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

This thing about the ponytail is some lunatic heresy. I don't care what the source of this calumny is, even if the creator has stated so in a sworn affidavit - he must've been befuddled at the time.

Tl, dr: Horace has arms and that's all there is to it 8-)

(besides, wasn't it all about mullets back then?)
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Here's another one.
I *met* Sandy White (3D Ant Attack, I of the Mask) about 15 years ago.
Up until just before that point I'd assumed he was a she, and that's why (s)he had given us the very-progressive-for-the-time option of playing as a girl in Ant Attack.
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

uglifruit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm
presh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm 8 is transparent / unchanged - so if you do PRINT INK 7; PAPER 8; "SOMETHING", the text will have white INK but the existing PAPER colour of each cell will remain unchanged
Shh, you'll be giving away the secrets of INK / PAPER 9 next.
You know the first rule of BRIGHT club: "We don't talk about BRIGHT club."
For anyone requiring a demonstration of PAPER 8, I used it in Corona Capers, in the death sequences. In short:
- one subroutine from lines 9000-9025: start with PAPER 2: INK 2: CLS, then PRINT PAPER 0; all the spaces required to make the Chinese character for "death" as a low-resolution background.
- all subroutines starting at lines 9100, 9110, 9120, 9130, 9150, 9170, 9190, 9210: PRINT INK 6; PAPER 8; all the text that goes on top of it, and the paper remains red or black, whatever was already there. Without PAPER 8, the text overwrites any black in the background with red, so the "death" character appears only on alternate lines.

The other way to die, the one embedded I Wanna Be The Guy style in the victory sequence, uses BRIGHT 8 instead of PAPER 8 as the background picture is made of BRIGHT 1 spaces on a BRIGHT 0 background. I wonder if anyone has ever seen that, legitimately?

As for the other secret, I've always found INK 9 a lot more useful than PAPER 9.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

OK, yep, I was pretty sure I'd read everything in the BASIC manual at some point, but INK 9 is completely new to me.

And now I know about it, it seems almost as much a complete waste of limited resources as the FLASH bit!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Since I decided to openly be part of the community and dig a bit more about the Spectrum I discovered many shocking things, including the hover key on Jetpac :lol:
But two things I remember as interesting are the 128k version of Yie ar Kung Fu, I always though that has an "extended" version, not a completely different game:

Image Image

The other thing is about Defenders of the Crown.

I didn't know the game was never released. I played it back in the day, a pirated copy from a local store, so the info took me by surprise!. At the time a lot of Czech and Russian games started to popup on the pirate's catalogs, so, is not surprising to find something obscure from Hungry, but, yeah, no idea how the version got leaked.

Note: I just noticed the comment: "Originally there was a winning screen at the end, but that was somehow lost." I need to check my version just in case (if anyone wants a copy to check, let me know).
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Morkin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 am
"Automata" is the plural of αὐτόματον, which in ancient Greek means "something acting (ματον) by itself (αὐτό)". I pronounce it as in ancient Greek, following the Erasmian convention which is commonly accepted here for academic use here: "ou (as in "loud") -TOH-mah-tah".