'Dixel' scrolling... Ghosts 'n' Goblins

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: 'Dixel' scrolling... Ghosts 'n' Goblins

Post by Einar Saukas »

Not really. :)

Dixel scrolling is not a great idea. If you have enough free memory for the unrolled loop implementation, then running a single pixel scroll twice is actually faster than a single dixel scroll without screen memory contention (although dixel scrolling performs better during memory contention while running the raster scan, if my calculations are correct... I don't have an emulator right now to validate it).
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

In this case, isn't it more efficient to fetch a byte from memory, scroll it, then write it back, rather than do two in-place rotates?
Though it's only quick if you're shifting in A, which means you can't do EX AF,AF'... So maybe not...
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

For 2px scrolling, try POP: RL: RL: PUSH. I have one such routine that scrolls some 30x192 area, the resulting speed is about 31T/byte (uncontended), which is close to RL (HL) x2 with nothing in between.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:53 pm For 2px scrolling, try POP: RL: RL: PUSH. I have one such routine that scrolls some 30x192 area, the resulting speed is about 31T/byte (uncontended), which is close to RL (HL) x2 with nothing in between.
I don't see how this could work. Could you share your code ?
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

catmeows wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:05 pm
Nienn Heskil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:53 pm For 2px scrolling, try POP: RL: RL: PUSH. I have one such routine that scrolls some 30x192 area, the resulting speed is about 31T/byte (uncontended), which is close to RL (HL) x2 with nothing in between.
I don't see how this could work. Could you share your code ?
Here
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Nice :)
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:17 pm
catmeows wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:05 pm I don't see how this could work. Could you share your code ?
Here
Thanks. That bidirectional shift of A to store 2 bits was the missing part.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:51 pm if my calculations are correct... I don't have an emulator right now to validate it).
Einar I'm concerned. This is the second post I've seen from you with the above words. Are you okay? Are you being held against your will, somewhere? This is your secret code for "Help. Rescue me!", right?

Please post again with the words "emulation is for n00bs" to confirm. We will immediately create a ticket for this rescue task. You can track the progress being made towards your rescue in the ticket. Please take the time to rate this support on a scale of 1 to 10. Thank you!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

arjun wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:01 amEinar I'm concerned. This is the second post I've seen from you with the above words. Are you okay?
I'm not used to more than a few hours without access to an emulator... but now I'm back home so everything's fine!