ZX Spectrum Next Clone Board

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
PeterJ
Site Admin

ZX Spectrum Next Clone Board

Post by PeterJ »

This appeared on the Next Facebook Group earlier. I have purchased from RetroShop.pt previously and have been very happy with the service.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/specnex ... 793550971/

Edit. For those not able to access FB, here is the direct link to the article.

https://vintageisthenewold.com/retrosho ... one-board/
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Clone Board

Post by toot_toot »

Thanks for posting this, it was this point that raised an eyebrow
The new board contains the fix to the known HDMI problem that the first batch of Nexts had. Another differential is the dual ROM support (ZX Next and ZXUno).
So it fixes the annoying HDMI issue where the Next doesn’t power down unless the HDMI cable is removed? Shame the Next team couldn’t fix that after the board only version reported the problem.

It’s €115 which is a pretty good price and although I’ve got a Next already, I’m tempted to pick this up and stick it in a replacement Spectrum case, keep it on the 100% Spectrum video support core (without the Next features, but supporting all the video modes over HDMI) and have it as the ultimate rubber keyed Speccy (with 128k memory and AY sound, of course! )
Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

So it fixes the annoying HDMI issue where the Next doesn’t power down unless the HDMI cable is removed? Shame the Next team couldn’t fix that after the board only version reported the problem.
As far as I know, this HDMI fix is the same fix as for the official KS2 Spectrum Next.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Sorry...what is it? Fb is blocked on my machine, I can't see the link. Also, Retroshop.pt redirects to some MiSTer seller, could't find this board there.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]akeley[/mention],

RetroShop.pt used to sell exclusively via Facebook. I think they started the UltimateMister site recently, so retroshop.pt directs there now.

If you do have Facebook, there Facebook shop is still there:

https://www.facebook.com/retroshoppontopt/shop/
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Nah, not on fb, I was just curious what this thing is exactly since I can't see that link you've posted. I get that it's some sort of Next clone...but more details would be nice. FPGA too? Analogue video?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]akeley[/mention],

PM me a list of questions and I will ask for you. Peter
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Ah, no worries mate, it's not that important. Thanks anyway :)
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Be interesting to see what the take up of this is. I just hope the 'upgradability' doesn't dilute the interest in people doing things for a vanilla Next, especially since the latest KS should help to grow the user base.

At 115 euros + power, lead and case that'd still be quite a saving over an official Next, right?
CLEAR 23855
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

uglifruit wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:06 pm I just hope the 'upgradability' doesn't dilute the interest in people doing things for a vanilla Next, especially since the latest KS should help to grow the user base.
It is a clone zx next pcb identical in features. It was the reason a bare pcb option was not in KS2, ie in order to give room for the community to offer zx next devices outside kickstarters. Items missing, some of which would be optional and could be bought separately, would be case / keyboard, wifi, pi zero, vga/rgb or hdmi cable, power supply, sd card (actually I am not sure if that is included or you need to download an image from specnext; it's probably the latter as there are copyright issues with distributing the roms in hardware form). The case / keyboard option could be an enclosure with ps2 keyboard or a rubber 48k replica with membrane. The replicas seem to have long lead times and if the laser cut version for the next pcbs are not available you'd need to manually cut the plain 48K versions to add holes for connectors. There are two locations for joystick connectors, one for zx next cases and one for 48K cases, and it's been mentioned you can choose the configuration at purchase. It should be the 48K case configuration unless you've somehow got hold of an empty zx next case.

He has a website as well:
https://ultimatemister.com/product/zx-n ... one-board/
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

If it was a tad cheaper (under 100E) perhaps I'd bite. It's not really 115E though, with VAT more like ~145E. And that's getting in the MiSTer zone, where you can get the Next core if you have that special 32MB SDRAM. You can also get that core out-the-box on one of the other FPGA boards (ZX DOS+?)

Still, it's an interesting option, I'm sure it will sell well.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]Alcoholics Anonymous[/mention],

I spoke with Ricardo from RetroShop.pt last night and it should go live on Friday.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

akeley wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:27 pm If it was a tad cheaper (under 100E) perhaps I'd bite. It's not really 115E though, with VAT more like ~145E. And that's getting in the MiSTer zone, where you can get the Next core if you have that special 32MB SDRAM. You can also get that core out-the-box on one of the other FPGA boards (ZX DOS+?)
Yes it's another option and it is a fair price. The first KS was selling the board only at 99 ukp incl. uk postage w/o tax with just 1MB ram (this one will have 2MB) and that ended up around cost or at a small loss.

The advantage of the clone board is that everything that works on the original Nexts will also work on the clone board unmodified, core / system software included.

The other options are also good but do have some caveats, for example not all features will necessarily be supported (expansion bus, pi zero, hdmi, wifi, and so on). The Mister's longer memory latency has meant the next core can only run with a special sram/sdram hat as you mentioned but there are other things now coming up too. Eg, the simulated sd card interface turns out to be too slow for streaming data from the sd card at 28MHz so a few Next programs that do this won't work properly (at this time the application is streaming audio or video from the card). This has been shown to work if the Mister's physical sd card interface is used instead of the emulated one through the arm. I'm not a Mister owner so I don't know how much of a pain that is. I have seen an emulated esp being developed for the mister's arm so maybe that will appear too; I'm not sure how fast it could operate though as the Next can operate it very quickly, up to 2Mbps. I don't know if this will matter in a multiplayer game situation as this hasn't been demonstrated yet. Lower baud rates will tie up cpu cycles in the Tx direction but Tx driven interrupts are being added and it's possible a small Tx buffer will be added that would mitigate this.

So yeah it really depends on whether any missing secondary features are important to the end user or not. Value can be had from all options depending on the primary use by the user. There's the Mister, Dos+, gomados+, sidi, unamiga, unamiga reloaded thus far.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

The N-GO board went on sale today. Coupon code FREESNGO gets you free shipping (Europe I presume) for the time being.

https://manuferhi.com/c/n-go

There is a left or right version you can select. This determines if the two joystick connectors are soldered to the left or right side of the pcb. You need to choose the right one depending on what case you plan to use. If you get a laser cut 48K reproduction case then the connectors must be on one side or another. Ask whoever you buy the cases from to find out which.

The KS2 did not have a pcb only version available this time because of this board in particular but also in expectation that other people may make clone pcbs. Other options are the dos+, gomados, unamiga, sidi, unamiga reloaded, mister (in time but needs some extras) but these are different fpga platforms.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

This looks great, so you can probably get this cased for around £160 maybe.

Shame it's sold out I would be seriously tempted

Which side should be joy stick ports be on for a 48k case?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Jbizzel[/mention],

I have one and am very happy with it.

They sell a clear plastic case (top and bottom) for 10 Euros. You also need a PS/2 keyboard.

Hopefully will be in stock again soon
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Thanks Peter, I've signed up for email updates.

I'd like to put it in a repo 48k case maybe. I think it would fit, just not sure if the joystick ports would cause a problem.

In a way it seems sad, because I know that would be my go to machine, and I would stop using my real spectrum. That's my conflict with all the FPGA stuff.

I love the real hardware, but this seems so perfect in every other sense! Weird.