Duckstroma

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Duckstroma

Post by UltraNarwhal »

[media]https://twitter.com/UltraNarwhal/status ... 0406422528[/media]
My new game for old hardware yearly release

Meet Aura, she's a delivery duck and about to have a life changing day on the job. A client has requested 8 disks be delivered to them, but this won't be an easy task. Using Aura's skills navigate the hostile environment by bouncing on weak foes, even lay an egg to reach higher spots.
Quantum Sheep
Dizzy

Re: Duckstroma

Post by Quantum Sheep »

I bought the NES version but very much looking forward to playing the Speccy version! \o/

Looks like lots of fun!

QS =D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cool game with a barking mad plot; everything one expects from a quality speccy release :-)

It takes a bit of getting used to , but I like the egg jump twist on the 'Octukitty' mechanic.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

High jump by using an exploding egg is one of weirdest things that I've seen in games ;)

But I guess that when you master it, the game can become really enjoyable.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Suh-weet!

(It’s best not to pack a custom loader in a TAP file. Leave that to the TZX and use the standard ROM loader for the TAP. Many emulators—and quick-load devices—will not be able to cope with anything other than the standard ROM loader inside a TAP file.)
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Loving this. 4 of the 8 disks so far. I suppose a small quibble is that some of the background rock graphics look like random bits of ROM were used for a cryptic pattern, but everything else is great.

I wonder if this is a bug or an easter egg: there's an invisible solid block on the intro screen, but I still haven't managed to manoeuvre an egg to enable a jump that reaches the right hand edge.

[mention]UltraNarwhal[/mention], are you able to comment on this? :?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:10 pm Suh-weet!

(It’s best not to pack a custom loader in a TAP file. Leave that to the TZX and use the standard ROM loader for the TAP. Many emulators—and quick-load devices—will not be able to cope with anything other than the standard ROM loader inside a TAP file.)
I can vouch for this. For the first time in god knows how long, I fired it up on my Vega (not plus!), because I'd been walking all day and wanted to play on the settee. The TAP doesn't load on that.
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Post by UltraNarwhal »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:37 pm
I wonder if this is a bug or an easter egg: there's an invisible solid block on the intro screen, but I still haven't managed to manoeuvre an egg to enable a jump that reaches the right hand edge.

@UltraNarwhal, are you able to comment on this? :?
That's a oops I left a solid tile (it's a blimp on the MSX version), the intro screen border is filled with them to stop you moving to wrong screen.
When I update the game I'll add some .z80 .sna files for those that can't load the tzx/tap, the only reason it was tzx this time was due to MPAGD tap export breaking music.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

UltraNarwhal wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:58 pm That's a oops I left a solid tile (it's a blimp on the MSX version), the intro screen border is filled with them to stop you moving to wrong screen.
Haha. I wondered both ways. Still, I spent an enjoyable while trying to reach it :-)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I love this dancing duck!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:17 pm
UltraNarwhal wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:58 pm That's a oops I left a solid tile (it's a blimp on the MSX version), the intro screen border is filled with them to stop you moving to wrong screen.
Haha. I wondered both ways. Still, I spent an enjoyable while trying to reach it :-)
I hopped onto that invisible block too, while also trying to reach that right platform - but never did reach it :| . Got some practice getting used to the exploding egg mechanic.
This is a great game. I don't think I've seen an exploding jump mechanism in a game before.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:10 pm Suh-weet!

I tried to load this today on my +2 with a divide. I cannot get past the loading please wait message.

Shame, because it's looks cool!!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I used fuse to make a .sna and that works on my divide on my grey +2.

Excellent game. Very addictive.

I love the nes style graphic look of the rooms and walls etc. Works really well on the spectrum.

The music is top notch too. One of the best I've heard on the zx. I love it.

Great game :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]UltraNarwhal[/mention] you have a PM :-)
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Post by UltraNarwhal »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:48 pm @UltraNarwhal you have a PM :-)
It vanished?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

UltraNarwhal wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:38 pm
R-Tape wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:48 pm @UltraNarwhal you have a PM :-)
It vanished?
I've just re-sent it. Sorry for the confusion!
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Post by UltraNarwhal »

Version 1.01 is now available, it removes the solid block and the download includes .sna files.
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Hi Narwhal, you have a MP. ;)
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Post by UltraNarwhal »

Breaking News!

There will be a final 1.02 update released before end of March, this should fix a death bug and adds a few more late game screens.
UltraNarwhal
Drutt

Post by UltraNarwhal »

V1.02 is now released.
https://narwhal.itch.io/duckstroma