Testing emulators with ZX X-MAS '19 Demo

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Weiv
Microbot

Re: Testing emulators with ZX X-MAS '19 Demo

Post by Weiv »

Thanks for the topic. I also have found and fixed a bug in my emulator related to ULAplus. The bug is incorrect realization of port #FF3B reading (due to fuzzy specification of ULAplus) - seems like it returns either color of the last color register or last ULAplus mode, depending on the last value sended to port #BF3B.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Weiv[/mention],

Which emulator is yours?

Peter
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Hi Peter, mine is Spectramine.
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Also, Peter, I'm not Cesar Nicolas-Gonzalez, as it is stated in your Spectrum Emulator Features Spreadsheet for the author of Spectramine.
I wonder why it is stated so?

(Also, Peter, how to appeal by nickname? If I put @ before nickname, it is still black in a message.)
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Weiv wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:25 pm Thanks for the topic. I also have found and fixed a bug in my emulator related to ULAplus. The bug is incorrect realization of port #FF3B reading (due to fuzzy specification of ULAplus) - seems like it returns either color of the last color register or last ULAplus mode, depending on the last value sended to port #BF3B.
Where did you find this information? All I have found is that port FF3B returns the last colour written to the palette.
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

Magnus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:19 pm Where did you find this information? All I have found is that port FF3B returns the last colour written to the palette.
I guessed from this: "Reading from port FF3B returns the last data byte written to the currently selected register. This can be used to read back the current palette or determine if palette mode is active." There:https://zxdesign.itch.io/ulaplus
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Weiv wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:59 pm Also, Peter, I'm not Cesar Nicolas-Gonzalez, as it is stated in your Spectrum Emulator Features Spreadsheet for the author of Spectramine.
I wonder why it is stated so?

(Also, Peter, how to appeal by nickname? If I put @ before nickname, it is still black in a message.)
Hi [mention]Weiv[/mention],

Firstly, welcome to the forums. Thanks for joining.

Sorry, about the wrong name against your emulator. Please could you provide your name and I will make the changes. Is everything else correct against the entry for Spectramine? Do we have the latest version? 1.03b

The mention system should work as you describe. Not sure why it didn't for you.
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Weiv wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 pm
Magnus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:19 pm Where did you find this information? All I have found is that port FF3B returns the last colour written to the palette.
I guessed from this: "Reading from port FF3B returns the last data byte written to the currently selected register. This can be used to read back the current palette or determine if palette mode is active." There:https://zxdesign.itch.io/ulaplus
Thanks [mention]Weiv[/mention], well spotted!
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 pm Hi @Weiv,

Firstly, welcome to the forums. Thanks for joining.
Thanks but I'm here since 2018, rather "welcome back".
Sorry, about the wrong name against your emulator. Please could you provide your name and I will make the changes. Is everything else correct against the entry for Spectramine? Do we have the latest version? 1.03b
It's ok, I just wondered, but it was a mistake, I understood. I'm not ready to uncover my real name, state me please as Weiv.
Everything else about Spectramine in the table seems ok. Yes, version 1.03b is the latest published.

Also, author of Xpeccy is Alexandr Sinyakov (it is stated in his profile on zx-pk.ru).
The mention system should work as you describe. Not sure why it didn't for you.
Thanks, [mention]PeterJ[/mention]. I understood, it is need to type @ and first letters of nickname, then choose nickname from list. Typing @nickname fully is not working.
Last edited by Weiv on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]Weiv[/mention],

All changed. I appreciate the corrections and checking.

The mention system uses Javascript. Maybe your browser is blocking it? I checked in Chrome and Firefox desktop versions.
Weiv
Microbot

Post by Weiv »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:01 pm Thank you @Weiv,

All changed. I appreciate the corrections and checking.

The mention system uses Javascript. Maybe your browser is blocking it? I checked in Chrome and Firefox desktop versions.
Thanks.

No, Javascript is on, it change @nickname to [mentiоn]nickname[/mentiоn] in the message text, but if I don't choose a nickname from list, @nickname remains as is. For example - @Weiv and [mention]Weiv[/mention] . But it doesn't matter.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Magnus wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:20 pm I'll have to do some debugging to see what happens.
Checked the latest version of the emulator, still, in the ULA + mode, some problems are present, in a couple of other demonstrations.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]azimov[/mention],

Pease could you list the demos you are using please?

Out of interest, are you the same [mention]azesmbog[/mention] who wrote some of the ZXUno cores?
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 pm Pease could you list the demos you are using please?
ULAp256b
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=82424
https://zxart.ee/eng/software/demoscene ... /ulap256b/
works correctly in:
Spud v.0252, SpecEmu
doesn't work at all in:
SoftSpectrum 48, LnxSpectrum

ABBATONE
https://demozoo.org/productions/269470/
works correctly in:
Spud v.0252, SpecEmu, SoftSpectrum 48
does not load in:
LnxSpectrum

Multicolour Demo
https://sites.google.com/site/ulaplus/M ... edirects=0
works correctly in:
SpecEmu
doesn't quite work correctly in:
SoftSpectrum 48
no line sync

doesn't work correctly in:
Spud v.0252
doesn't work at all in:
LnxSpectrum
PeterJ wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 pm Out of interest, are you the same @azesmbog who wrote some of the ZXUno cores?
Wrote - this is of course loudly said :) They usually write from scratch.
Most often I redo someone's work, adapt, clone, improve, do conversion from one system to another, reverse engineering, disassemble, etc.
I'm an enhancer to what other Creators have done, and I always hope the original creators don't mind seeing their work on other platforms. Sometimes I give advice to authors, sometimes they listen to them :)
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

azesmbog wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:46 am
Magnus wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:20 pm I'll have to do some debugging to see what happens.
Checked the latest version of the emulator, still, in the ULA + mode, some problems are present, in a couple of other demonstrations.
Thanks! I've had a look at the ULAp256b demo, and the problem is that the demo repeatedly activates the ULAplus palette, even when it is already active. SoftSpectrum 48 went through the somewhat time consuming process of activating the palette every time this happened, which caused a major stutter in the demo. I haven't seen this behaviour before but it was easy to fix.