Little bugs in the database 4

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Art
Manic Miner

Re: Little bugs in the database 4

Post by Art »

I see that in the database, there is still only the first version of Cheetah MIDI Interface program:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... _Interface
As I wrote and uploaded here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3034
there is also a newer, more complete version with a manual and newer screenshots.
✓ Reviewed
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Dirty Dozer missing "authored with AGD" field

same about The Hair-Raising Adventures of Mr. Hair and AGDx

(yep, these are the first results of the new Creator/Engine filter testing) ;)
✓ Reviewed
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Rubicon (Rucksack Games) is filed as "Arcade game: Action". It should be more precisely filed as "Arcade game: Maze".
✓ Reviewed
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

After several reports and many months, these two titles are still misclassified as Spectrum 128k in the Machine type category.
Both titles are +2A/+3 only and cannot work on stock 128/+2 models.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... a_Emulator
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... s_Emulator

Also, adventure game Kontrabant 2, should go into the category Adventure Game: Text/Illustrated, not as Text only adventure.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... ntrabant_2
✓ Reviewed
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:22 pm After several reports and many months, these two titles are still misclassified as Spectrum 128k in the Machine type category.
Stop trying to jump the queue. :-) There is a line stretch back a couple of years that you need to join.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes, the team (mainly [mention]druellan[/mention]) are still working on Little Bugs 3. Some of these bugs take a long time to review. As mentioned previously they will be fixed when they are fixed I'm afraid. We aren't working to any timescale.

When they are fixed, they get the reviewed green tick.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

PeterJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 pm Yes, the team (mainly @druellan) are still working on Little Bugs 3.
There are still outstanding issues (or issues outstanding) from Little Bugs 1 and 2 too.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Haha!
In fact, Little Bugs 3 is complete, and changes are waiting for the next ZXDB release. I'm now jumping to Cover Artists 2, at least to complete a couple of pages, and then I'm going to jump into Little Bugs 4.

The time we spent on the fixes really depends on the fix itself, some of them are quick and simple, others require more through investigation, but we are methodically checking them all.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

8BitAG wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 pm There are still outstanding issues (or issues outstanding) from Little Bugs 1 and 2 too.
Can you paste the links here so I can take a second look this weekend?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

druellan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:30 pm Haha!
In fact, Little Bugs 3 is complete, and changes are waiting for the next ZXDB release. I'm now jumping to Cover Artists 2, at least to complete a couple of pages, and then I'm going to jump into Little Bugs 4.

The time we spent on the fixes really depends on the fix itself, some of them are quick and simple, others require more through investigation, but we are methodically checking them all.
Dru, I'd like to take this moment to interrupt this thread and salute you (which I'm afraid will actually make more work for you!). You're doing the hard and often tedious bit of carrying out the fixes themselves. If only there were more volunteers like you.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 pm Dru, I'd like to take this moment to interrupt this thread and salute you.
Here, here.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

druellan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:32 pm Can you paste the links here so I can take a second look this weekend?
Thanks... I do appreciate it was a mammoth task. [Now things are almost caught up I can start to cross-reference fixes that I've been making the past year ago elsewhere.]

Had a quick look back in the threads, and these are ones I've personally submitted that I could easily spot; mostly from the original Little Bugs thread... Hopefully, I've copied the links correctly...

Misc. outstanding fixes...
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1046&p=17943#p17943
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1046&p=17458#p17458
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1046&p=17454#p17454
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1046&p=17453#p17453
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1046&p=16896#p16896
viewtopic.php?p=16590#p16590
viewtopic.php?p=16238#p16238 [partial fix]
viewtopic.php?p=15922#p15922 [TZX date wrong still]

This one is my mistake... I should've just been clearer and said that the George E. Hoyle credit needs to be removed as he was not involved in the making of the game.
viewtopic.php?p=19311#p19311

New additions to the database... that were posted in the Bugs thread because there wasn't, at the time, a separate thread for those sorts of changes...
viewtopic.php?p=18506#p18506
viewtopic.php?p=17221#p17221
viewtopic.php?p=16967#p16967 [Note... this is is a different game to the one already in the database... there were two games released with that name in different issues of the tapezine]
viewtopic.php?p=16957#p16957

Marked as reviewed... but fix does not appear to be implemented ?
viewtopic.php?p=30571#p30571

Credits fixes...
viewtopic.php?p=18456#p18456
viewtopic.php?p=17840#p17840

Just spotted this...
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/6 ... mes_of_Sha [48K not 128K game, I think]
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 pm Dru, I'd like to take this moment to interrupt this thread and salute you (which I'm afraid will actually make more work for you!). You're doing the hard and often tedious bit of carrying out the fixes themselves. If only there were more volunteers like you.
Oh, many thanks for that!. As I commented earlier I'm having a blast doing this, I'm learning and discovering a lot of things about the titles and industry behind them. Since I'm from Latin America, I didn't have access to a lot of this information back in the day, and I often learn something on every fix. If I can't do more it is because sometimes I don't have enough time :D
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

Assuming that Peter Austin who did cover art for Players Software and Pete Austin of Level 9 are different people, the inlay credit for Cobra Force should be Peter Austin, not Pete Austin. Meanwhile, Return to Eden has a credit for Peter Austin when it should be Pete Austin.
✓ Reviewed
Stu
Manic Miner

Post by Stu »

The Fourth Protocol has parts where you need to use a deccoding pad included with the game to decipher messages. According to a feature in Big K, "This will be engineered so that it is virtually impossible to photocopy [...] making life harder for pirates".

Does this make the game one that should be flagged as having padlock protection? Or does that specifically apply to games that don't integrate the protection into gameplay?
✓ Reviewed
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Cargador Universal de Código Máquina was an utility published in several Microhobby issues as basic list. It helped readers to input M/C routines that appeared often in the magazine. So MH decided to include it in some of tape issues.

The question is it appears as MIA, but if you look at the several 'compilations featuring this title' we see it included in every file, so I don't think it should be considered as MIA as it was never released as a single program.
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The Rings of Merlin has two CASA links. The first link is for a completely different game.

Thanks to Paul Collins
✓ Reviewed
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi!

Two fixes on Black and White

1) Release Year. It reads "unknown", but it was released in 2020. You can check it here. https://greenwebsevilla.itch.io/black-and-white This link also includes full credits for the game that also could be included on the ZXDB.

2) On Releases section. It reads Re-release #1 Matra Computer Automations (Spain) €8.75. This game was first released as a download in March 2020, but soon after it was released by Matra and its price it was not €8,75 but €21.45 because it was a deluxe edition on a limited batch, as you can see in the following link: http://www.matranet.net/boutique/zx/bla ... kwhite.php

Matra usually releases standard editions for some of their games, but for Black and White as well as Ninjakul 2: The Last Ninja they only released a short batch in cardboard boxes.

Thank you!

✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:17 pm Two fixes on Black and White
Thanks! GreenWeb already contacted me about this, and fixes are ready for the next ZXDB deploy, but I'm going to double-check the prices, etc.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I seem to be finding a lot of titles marked as MiA when they are not. Another example here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... tmas_Cards

Scroll down to compilations including this title, and its there:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... _issue_148
✓ Reviewed
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

druellan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:03 am Thanks! GreenWeb already contacted me about this, and fixes are ready for the next ZXDB deploy, but I'm going to double-check the prices, etc.
Hi @druellan

Some covers and editions for homebrew games that are missing on ZXDB.

1). Car Wars. Previous to the Matra edition for this game, Play on Retro released a deluxe edition in a cardboard box with some extras: http://www.retromaniac.es/2017/05/sorte ... e-car.html

2). Red Planet (Planeta Rojo). The same goes for this game. Previous to the Matra edition, Play on Retro released a deluxe edition in a cardboard box with some extras as you can see in the link above. I don't have neither of these editions, so I can't remember their price and I couldn't find it. Take into account that these two games are included in the upcoming Play On Retro's Power Up! compilation on dandanator format (60 copies only): http://www.retromaniac.es/2020/07/beyke ... tucho.html Also I think "Planeta Rojo" should be included on ZXDB as an alternate name for Red Planet.

3). Aliens: Neoplasma. As you can see in the like above, along with the Power Up! compilation, Play on Retro is releasing a deluxe edition for Aliens: Neoplasma (60 copies only). Both should be out by Christmas. I will have my copy of Aliens: Neoplasma by then, but I don't have a quality scanner to digitize the artwork and instructions. By PM I can send you the contact email of Felipe Monge, the guy behind these wonderful editions, so maybe he could share some high quality scans for the ZXDB.

4). The Prayer of the Warrior. As you probably know, this was an unreleased game by Zigurat that was released by its authors in 2004 or so as a downloadable game. Several years later "1985 Alternativo" did a crowdfunding to release a proper version that I missed at the time. In the meantime a lot of people in Spain had done their own private covers and inlays for this game (you can see three or four different covers searching on Google), but the "official one" that was sold is the one you can see in this interview with the publishers: https://retroinvaders.com/es/73851/entr ... x-spectrum. Felipe Monge, they guy behind Play On Retro is the same behind this deluxe edition by 1985 Alternativo.

Thank you!
✓ Reviewed
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

[mention]Audionautas[/mention] Is it possible to buy these releases anywhere?
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

pavero wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 pm @Audionautas Is it possible to buy these releases anywhere?
Hi [mention]pavero[/mention]

It is not possible, I'm afraid, they are sold out in most cases. Car Wars and Red Planet were released in 2017 in a short run. I only know one person that owns at least Car Wars in that deluxe edition, probably Red Planet too and that guy is Javier Ortiz from El Mundo del Spectrum, a great homebrew games' collector. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSaVwN ... s6aZqEVQqA

The Prayer of the Warrior was released through a crowdfunding in 2016 including some other games (https://www.verkami.com/projects/14731- ... mega-drive). I don't know for sure how many copies of this game are out there. Felipe Monge of Play on Retro/1985 Alternativo commented in a podcast (if I recall correctly), that he wants to do a re-issue of The Prayer of The Warrior in a new edition in cardboard box with a new cover, booklet and more extras, but it looks like a long term project. Prior to that he wants to release deluxe editions of all SaNchez Crew games: Survivisection, Mighty Final Fight, Delta's Shadow, etc.

Regarding Aliens: Neoplasma and Power Up! compilation, both are almost ready to ship, but I remember Felipe Monge said somewhere that he had made a few more copies, apart from those already sold, so maybe he has some copies left. Here you can see a video for Power Up! compilation. They both look great!:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1324822787790376965
Here is another short video for the Aliens: Neoplasma edition and another one of Beyker's Legacy, a 25 BASIC games' compliation by Beykersoft (Sergio Vaquer):
https://twitter.com/i/status/1322880365489491970

All the best!
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Thanks for these informations [mention]Audionautas[/mention]

Do you think you can contact Javier, if he could provide scans of both boxes (front+reverse side) in 300dpi at least?

And can you please give me (via PM) Felipe's e-mail or any other contact?
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

pavero wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:11 am Thanks for these informations @Audionautas

Do you think you can contact Javier, if he could provide scans of both boxes (front+reverse side) in 300dpi at least?

And can you please give me (via PM) Felipe's e-mail or any other contact?
Hi @pavero

PM already sent!

All the best!