DaDither - another one Img2Scr tool

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Dec
Drutt

DaDither - another one Img2Scr tool

Post by Dec »

Maybe it will be interesting for someone. I created new tool for Windows named DaDither that allows you to convert images into SCR files. Some samples:
Spoiler

The tool also supports the ability to create NXI files for Next (with generation of adoptive palette and dithering).

Download
+3code

Re: DaDither - another one Img2Scr tool

Post by +3code »

Interesting, thanks!
+3code

Post by +3code »

It doesn't support ULA +, but it's nice to be able to use dither and color together.
Dec
Drutt

Post by Dec »

+3code wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:51 am It doesn't support ULA +
It is planned to add.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

It's a nice tool, with really good results :D
Lots of modes available!

Could you add a ordered dither option ? For some images it looks better than random ;)
And perhaps QL modes ?

And if I may, how about supporting drawing on the border area (ex: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/d/diver/me ... -defender/ ) ?
Never seen a tool that handled that ;)

Good job!
Dec
Drutt

Post by Dec »

4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am Could you add a ordered dither option ? For some images it looks better than random ;)
Ok, added into TODO list.
4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am And perhaps QL modes ?
I need:
1) Specifications
2) Sample of QL graphic files
3) The same files but in bmp/png/gif.
4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am And if I may, how about supporting drawing on the border area
Currently I don`t see a way to create correct border area from random source file.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Thanks for considering some of the suggestions ;)
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Thanks for the tool!
Suggestion: would be possible to apply different algorithms over a small region selected by the user?
saucysarah
Drutt

Post by saucysarah »

Wow! This is by far the best one i've seen :D . I used to use KodeMunkie's 'Image to ZX Spec' but your's creates much better images even at default settings. Would it be possible to add an option to make a slideshow tape in Spectrum format (similar to what KodeMunkie's does) ? I found one that can make Timex slideshows here https://github.com/mcleod-ideafix/timex ... ow_creator

Also, when selecting 'Fit result in source', could we have the option to choose which part of the image to convert ? Thanks :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

[mention]Dec[/mention] Thanks for it!

If you were to compare it to Bmp2Scr which is probably the most known similar tool
then what would you say?

Is it better? Worse? Different in some way?
vanpeebles
Microbot

Post by vanpeebles »

Dec wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 am
4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am Could you add a ordered dither option ? For some images it looks better than random ;)
Ok, added into TODO list.
4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am And perhaps QL modes ?
I need:
1) Specifications
2) Sample of QL graphic files
3) The same files but in bmp/png/gif.
4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am And if I may, how about supporting drawing on the border area
Currently I don`t see a way to create correct border area from random source file.
I can provide some in QL/gif for you??
Sinclair QL Forum: https://www.qlforum.co.uk/
Tatung Einstein Forum: https://www.robheaton.co.uk/tatung/
My Youtube Gaming Channel Acorn 32-bit, X68000 & QL: https://www.youtube.com/user/peetvanpeebles
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I usually use RetroX, because I can tweak image levels to optimize the conversion. It also has a good "palette weighting" option that gives really great results. And a few other things that help if you are creating game graphics (like paper/ink preference to avoid having inverted pixels, etc).

But DaDither seems to do a good job out of the box :D
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Ralf wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:24 pm @Dec Thanks for it!

If you were to compare it to Bmp2Scr which is probably the most known similar tool
then what would you say?

Is it better? Worse? Different in some way?
Bmp2Scr got monochrome dithering right but is rather terrible on color images, IMHO.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It gives some pretty good colour results, particularly if the original image has fairly vibrant colours in it. A few things I think could be improved:

1. When you have a large area of similar colour, like a wall, the 8x8 attribute version shades it nicely, but the 8x2 multicolour version can look quite rough. When you switch from normal Spectrum to 8x2 multicolour, it uses alternate 8x2 blocks as part of the dithering, meaning you get very noticeable differences in colour choice between adjacent 8x2 cells, which then looks blocky and messy. Whereas in the 8x8 attributes version the colours seems to be consistent across many adjacent squares; only the pixel dithering varies, which looks much smoother.

2. It would be nice to be able to boost the saturation / vibrancy / weighting of some colours. For example, most shades of green in the source image just turn up as all black lumps with no detail. Only the very brightest greens get turned into ZX Spectrum green. It might be better if colours were biased to match on HUE rather than strictly nearest RGB equivalent, so the end result might be less realistic but would be more colourful.

3. It would be neat to be able to select a part of the original image to convert, maybe overlay a rectangle representing the Spectrum 256x192 screen, that can be resized and moved around. That way the user could maybe find a better alignment of the image with the attribute cells.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

4thRock wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am And if I may, how about supporting drawing on the border area (ex: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/d/diver/me ... -defender/ ) ?
Never seen a tool that handled that ;)
That picture (like a few others) is made by a converter. It's still not a drawing tool.
But such a tool exists, I hope you saw my creations on the border ??
From my own experience I can say that the best version of the format for the border would probably be XPM, I liked the format, but .... But nobody needs it :)
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I'm aware that there are border drawing tools. But I was really thinking about a converter.
Check you PM folder ;)

As for formats, it's always a chicken and egg situation (no format, no demand; no demand, no format...)
Dec
Drutt

Post by Dec »

hikoki wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:04 pm would be possible to apply different algorithms over a small region selected by the user?
Currently no, my algorithms cannot use dynamic methods.
saucysarah wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm Would it be possible to add an option to make a slideshow tape in Spectrum format (similar to what KodeMunkie's does) ?
I will exam it.
saucysarah wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm Also, when selecting 'Fit result in source', could we have the option to choose which part of the image to convert ?
It is planned.
vanpeebles wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:47 pm I can provide some in QL/gif for you??
It will be great if you provide me some samples here or via PM.
Joefish wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm 8x2 multicolour version can look quite rough.
In 8x2 mode you can try
1) Select Color usage: Dark only (or Bright only)
2) Set both Limit error options.
Joefish wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm 2. It would be nice to be able to boost the saturation / vibrancy / weighting of some colours.
It is planned.
Joefish wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm It might be better if colours were biased to match on HUE rather than strictly nearest RGB equivalent.
I tried to play with HUE but without good results. The problem that there is no simple way to create RGBToZxColor function. If you know good algo - let me know.
Joefish wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm 3. It would be neat to be able to select a part of the original image to convert.
It is planned.
Dec
Drutt

Post by Dec »

I have a question to Spectrum QL users. What is the actual pixel aspect ratio in 256x256 and 512x256 modes? According to screenshots from wikipedia both modes look like 342x256 pixels. Is it true?
vanpeebles
Microbot

Post by vanpeebles »

The pixels are longer, there might be some helpful information here:

https://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2799&start=10

Added a picture too, both are the same resolution but the one on the right is how it should look on a QL.
Sinclair QL Forum: https://www.qlforum.co.uk/
Tatung Einstein Forum: https://www.robheaton.co.uk/tatung/
My Youtube Gaming Channel Acorn 32-bit, X68000 & QL: https://www.youtube.com/user/peetvanpeebles
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

You can derive the proper aspect ratio by analyzing video signal timings...
But in practical terms, since it was used with 4:3 monitors, the intended aspect ratio would be around 4:3.
And actual software screenshots seem to support this, and that's how we display it SC.

Here's an image from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/games/Manual.pdf resized to a 4:3 aspect ratio:Image
Circles are round so the Aspect Ratio is correct :D

Interestingly, by using basic to draw circles, we get a slightly different aspect ratio, around 4.4:3 :lol:
Anyway, I don't have a QL so if anyone does, feel free to correct me ;)
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I investigated the issue further, analyzing the aspect ratio of circles drawn on QL basic and some screenshots added on the latest site update.

Based on that, an aspect ratio 4.39/3 would be accurate, regardless of screen modes.
That gives a resolution of ~375x256 (or ~750x512 if you scale 2x) for the active screen area.

The difference to 4:3 is quite small, and only noticeable on some titles. Others do seem to be 4:3 as I mentioned before.
Dec
Drutt

Post by Dec »

Joefish wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pmIt would be neat to be able to select a part of the original image to convert, maybe overlay a rectangle representing the Spectrum 256x192 screen, that can be resized and moved around. That way the user could maybe find a better alignment of the image with the attribute cells.
Added.
Dec
Drutt

Post by Dec »

UlaPlus support added
Spoiler