Forum Ranks

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Forum Ranks

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 am
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:58 am My vote for game characters, in old WoS style: Sabreman, Jet Set Willy, Monty Mole, ... and Fred.

Yes, Fred would be a good rank! :D
Is that^ the old WoS list? (Surely Sir Fred should be at the top).

I remember it had Elite at the top and then Clumsy Colin added, or was that a later WoS list?
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:31 am
Evil Genius wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 pmAnyway, I agree with Vampyre's suggestion of Elite pilot ratings.
Me too!

It's an easily recognizable list, that better fits this purpose since anyone can easily distinguish which names have higher ranking than others.

Although this game was originally created for another machine, it's probably even more popular among Spectrum players.
Makes sense to me, and I know that Elite used to be the absolute 'household name' over here in Russia/CIS states, but I do wonder about the UK and Europe. Somehow I'm getting the impression it was somewhat less popular there (not let's say on the level of MM/JSW/Horace).
Inactive account
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Elite is/was VERY popular on the Acorn BBC Micro and on some of the other Acorn computer range. It is in the top ten (if not higher) in this community.

But it did not appear to have the same success on the Spectrum. I think mainly due to there being a lot more good quality games available for the Spectrum, so although it may have sold well, Spectrum gamers had lots of other games to play and to talk about. So it did not stand out in the same way. Also, it's hard. Or at least, I'm not much good at it...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ramsrc
Drutt

Post by ramsrc »

Agreed - Elite was very popular in the BBC world. After my Spectrum, I graduated to a BBC Master and didn't play all that many games because by that point I had started to program.

I did have Elite though, and I particularly enjoyed the Master disk version because it had more ships - Particularly the Krait, because I liked the back story that it was getting rare and parts were being cannibalised to keep the last remaining ships flying.

It was hard too - I never managed to make Elite, but I did get as far as Deadly.
A hollow voice says "Plugh"
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

I'd be very much in favour of user customizable ranks. It gives a nice personal touch and a tiny little corner for people to live out their, uh, creativity 8-)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:57 am Elite is/was VERY popular on the Acorn BBC Micro and on some of the other Acorn computer range. It is in the top ten (if not higher) in this community.

But it did not appear to have the same success on the Spectrum. I think mainly due to there being a lot more good quality games available for the Spectrum, so although it may have sold well, Spectrum gamers had lots of other games to play and to talk about. So it did not stand out in the same way. Also, it's hard. Or at least, I'm not much good at it...
Even so, I bet they had more copies of Elite sold for Spectrum in comparison to BBC, since a lot more Spectrums (and clones) were produced. That's what I meant...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

utz wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:02 am I'd be very much in favour of user customizable ranks. It gives a nice personal touch and a tiny little corner for people to live out their, uh, creativity 8-)
We didn't think of that, assuming this is an option (can't check now) I like it. Could be a poll choice.
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

@R-Tape: Yeah, pretty sure this is an option you can enable in phpBB. Afaik you can even still assign ranks to users who don't customize the rank field.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Any more suggestions? So far machine types, Elite ranks and user customisable.

Juan, was your game characters idea a final one to include or something to improve on?

I'll start a poll tomorrow.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 pm Any more suggestions? So far machine types, Elite ranks and user customisable.

Juan, was your game characters idea a final one to include or something to improve on?

I'll start a poll tomorrow.
Well, I talked about include famous characters, not necesarily the same ones WoS chose... , maybe we must do another poll to choose which character to include! :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

utz wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am @R-Tape: Yeah, pretty sure this is an option you can enable in phpBB. Afaik you can even still assign ranks to users who don't customize the rank field.
It's very possible I'm being hopeless here, but I can't see how to allow the users to customise their own rank, it looks like the admin has to do it. The admin software is the most boring and confusing hall of mirrors I've ever seen. If you can find a link that makes it bloody obvious how to get phpBB to allow users to set their own rank it I'll include it in the poll :-)

Otherwise just two options, unless there are more suggestions before ~lunchtime UTC tomorrow.
utz
Microbot

Post by utz »

Seems that tcommon way of doing this is by installing a mod:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a
Disclaimer: I have no experience with phpBB myself, so I don't know how well it works.