The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by TMD2003 »

https://www.rickdangerous.co.uk/csscgc2021/

The time has come. While there are a handful of entries still to be reviewed for the 2020 competition, I've been in regular contact with [mention]PROSM[/mention] and he's given me the all-clear to get the next CSSCGC underway - because, what has been clear since May is that my plan to become this year's host by writing the least crap game I could manage has paid dividends.

The 2021 competition marks a quarter of a century since the initial attempt in 1996, and as 2019 went without one, this is also the 25th edition, when it should by all rights have been the 26th. It's time for a celebration of Crapness™ above and beyond what the majority of the entries deserve - even though that's the way it should be. I've said it enough times: I don't do things by halves.

For a start, this is the comp.sys.SINCLAIR Crap Games Competition, not the "comp.sys.spectrum" Crap Games Competition. Hence, it isn't just open to Spectrum entries. Oh no. You can write for the ZX81 and ZX80 - and I will be aiming for more entries than ever before in any year for both these machines, the ZX81 in particular as it blows out 40 candles on its birthday cake in 2021 (silently, and in black and white). You can also write for the QL - and if you've never tried QL programming before, like I hadn't before this year started, then you are particularly encouraged to do so. And I'll accept entries for "Sinclair-esque" machines - the SAM Coupé, the Jupiter Ace, the Z88 - as well as the clones from Eastern Europe, Brazil and beyond - and the new kids on the block, the ZX-UNO, ZX-Evolution, and of course, the Next. I will be taking delivery of a Next in August if all goes to plan, and I want some Next BASIC Crap Games to test on it! The rule is: as long as there's some kind of recognisable Sinclair lineage in the machine, as long as I have a reliable way to emulate it, and as long as you provide failsafe loading instructions for noobs (particularly in the case of the Jupiter Ace!) then I'll review it, and the more machines are included, the better.

I've come up with some challenges, and they'll be running throughout the competition, to avoid the kind of situations in which nobody enters because the time limit is so tight that even a quarter-baked idea can't be developed into the most meagre of games. You are openly encouraged to program machines you've never tried to program before, you are further encouraged to use strange and under-appreciated features of Spectrum BASIC (or any other Sinclair BASIC, for that matter), and produce weird error reports. If you're good at machine code, you can prove your worth by cramming your skills into a 1K ZX80 and making it do something useful in that tiny amount of memory. And, if you're really short of ideas, then you can win the approval of St. Greta of Stockholm by recycling an old CSSCGC entry - or even one from the C64CGCs of yore (gasp!) - and converting it for a different machine. Spectrum to ZX81 downgrades are welcome, Spectrum to QL/SAM/Next upgrades are also encouraged.

The CSSCGC 2021 website contains a complete list of previous competitions all the way back to 1996, with links to the original website or an archived copy, as well as the compilations that are hosted on ZXDB (and which will be updated over the course of the year) - so there's no excuse not to get to know your history and plunder the archives for inspiration. And while I have put up what might be a rather daunting list of rules, essentially it all boils down to this: submit something I have a decent chance of being able to test for a review, and don't be a knob.

The CSSCGC was formed as a "tribute" of sorts to Cassette 50, and two of the better titles on that compilation had previously been published as magazine type-ins. I have attempted, in the Scoring System page, to define a baseline for what I'll accept:

"If I was the editor of Sinclair Programs in 1983, would I publish this as a type-in listing in my magazine?"

Some type-ins really were the bare bones of what is acceptable, and it probably depended on whether the upcoming issue of the magazine was desperate to fill a corner or not. I see a type-in as the quintessential "Crap Games" of the day, even if most of the amusement they provided was typing them in and getting them to work rather than playing the end result. So that's what I'm aiming for: I will put myself in the position of a magazine editor of the day and see what's what.

Hence, the WINNER of the competition will be the one that displays "maximum effort, minimum attainment". I have led by example in 2020 with the Casio MG-777 Games compilation - the lowest-rated of all my submissions, somewhat bizarrely given that DNA Dilemma was destined for the dustbin and this... wasn't. [mention]PROSM[/mention] even mentioned how I'd gone to a lot of extra effort - getting the timings right, and the sounds, making three separate loading screens, and making tape, disc and microdrive versions, and complete reproductions of the original manual - all for three games that were barely more entertaining than Noughts and Crosses on the back of a fag packet. So do what you have to do - and then embellish it with all sorts of bells and whistles that add nothing to the actual game or gameplay, but also show me that you didn't just bash it all out in five minutes.

The bare minimum ever submitted, incidentally, was "10 PRINT 7". That's it. I've reproduced the entire "game" there. I think the title was longer than the program itself (certainly in terms of bytes). Don't do this. It may negatively influence how I view your other efforts. (And by that I mean, it will.)

The LOSER, and thus the appointed host of the 2022 CSSCGC, will be the one that displays "maximum effort, maximum attainment". In short, 2021's answer to Corona Capers. If you want to host the 2022 CSSCGC, get scribbling on BASin. Or, better still, a more technically impressive machine, such as the QL, SAM Coupé or Next. Opting for obscure machines will secure automatic effort points.

The competition will open as soon as Jools Holland declares that it is now 2021 - providing he actually has a Hootenanny, which isn't certain under the current regime. Either way, at the stroke of midnight at the New Year, you can submit your entry. Send it to csscgc2021 (at) rickdangerous.co.uk and if I get the first entry when I wake up in the morning on 1st January, I'll crack on with the review.

The competition is scheduled to end at Two Minutes to Midnight on 30th November. With a scoring system as complicated and convoluted as mine, I've given myself a month to sort out the loose ends and decide on the winners and losers - because I foresee some tied scores, I'll probably need to appoint some guest judges to get it finished in that case. There will be absolutely no overspill into 2022 whatsoever. I don't care if it's a tradition that the competition runs late, that's one I'm willing to break.

And as for breaking things, I'll go all out to break records. I want more ZX81 and ZX80 entries than in any previous year (so a minimum of 8 and 6 respectively). I want more of all of the obscure models than ever before, and a first-ever submission for one (maybe even all) of the 21st Century "son of Spectrum" machines.

Because of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these: "It might have been."

This will be no "It might have been" competition. Not on my watch.

For now, for the remaining five days and four hours of 2020, look out for the last few reviews for this year.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
zup
Manic Miner

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by zup »

ERROR: No black, transparent or contrast challenge found!
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by hikoki »

zup wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:28 am ERROR: No black, transparent or contrast challenge found!
Is black devoid of colour? Might serve well for demakes or udgenereration
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

zup wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:28 am ERROR: No black, transparent or contrast challenge found!
NOT ERROR: I did consider those! No, really, I did. But you try coming up with ten challenges that might actually be attempted. It remains to be seen how much I will have to crack the whip to get one or two of them entered...

For an unofficial "transparent" challenge, look through the previous CSSCGCs and pick one of their challenges, and it'll be "transparent" because I didn't think of it.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Jools Holland has called it. THE COMPETITION IS OPEN! Get your entries in!

EDIT: ...crikey, that was quick!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

And this is what I mean by "crikey, that was quick". Alexandre Colella, a.k.a. [mention]Turrican[/mention], has sent P.P.S. - Pixel Perfect Shot for the 16K Spectrum... on the first day of the competition! And to think that my original plan was to open it in February...

[mention]PROSM[/mention] still has four reviews to write from the 2020 competition (one of which is mine and is me "leading by example" again that I will probably have to refer back to), and I did briefly think about holding off posting any reviews until his were all finished - but Alexandre was so fast that I thought it only right to get cracking straight away rather than sit on it for... hopefully not too long.

I may have to polish the review page slightly, as I've had to write the HTML from scratch, and the Wordpress blog that backs it all up might lag behind slightly, but I think it looks fine at the moment. As with all the 2020 entries, the ZIP file only contains what I was originally sent, unless it's something like a QL or Jupiter Ace program, in which case I'll bung in some extra loading instructions for noobs.

I am going to get some entries for more obscure machines this year, right?
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

There seems to be an issue with the download of the first entry - I just get a 242 byte .zip file with nothing but an empty folder in it.
CLEAR 23855
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Oh man! I will send another version with "lives" instead "lifes".
:roll:
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

uglifruit wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:04 pm There seems to be an issue with the download of the first entry - I just get a 242 byte .zip file with nothing but an empty folder in it.
Gah! This is what happens when I try to force a review out this quickly, and when I'm keeping the website in a different part of the Yuge Sinclair Archive to the actual games.

I've now fixed it.
Turrican wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:05 am Oh man! I will send another version with "lives" instead "lifes".
:roll:
I like it this way... because I know it wasn't deliberate. I mean, you could have put all the screen captions in Portuguese - the variable is "vidas", after all...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 1:

Just the one game so far. [mention]PROSM[/mention]'s 2020 competition had three by now. And the last four will be reviewed, won't they? Maybe that's what you all need to get you going. That, and a new lockdown - in the UK at least - that I predict to last until the end of March, which should confine most of the UK-based members of this forum to 12 or more hours a day in front of the computer.

What are you all waiting for? Mush! *cracks whip*
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:50 pm What are you all waiting for? Mush! *cracks whip*
Hey..! You can't rush people like that, you'll only end up with some buggy half-baked idea executed badly, and... oh, wait...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Morkin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm Hey..! You can't rush people like that, you'll only end up with some buggy half-baked idea executed badly, and... oh, wait...
As long as your buggy and badly-executed half-baked idea has a loading screen and a redefined character set...

Maybe even work out most of the bugs, load some arrays from tape...

If [mention]PROSM[/mention] would MUSH himself with those last four reviews, I'll be able to show you what I could do in a mere five days. And that's not five days entirely dedicated to programming, either... it's five days which also involved everything else I had to do.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Entry number two is in! It was submitted yesterday evening and reviewed while the forums were down, and now - for anyone who hasn't already seen the link on t'other forum (where anything other that "who's died, what did I have for dinner, and what am I playing on Steam" tends to be ignored - grunt, gnash, froth, etc) - here it is.

It's called Mr. Don't! - anyone want to guess what it's an all-new version of? - and it's made by our very own [mention]R-Tape[/mention], with a promise of more Crap Games to come.

As I haven't had any all-new pages to build this time, I should have remembered to get everything correct, including actually offering the file for download.

If anyone wants to get the ball rolling on any non-Spectrum entries, do so! I await them all. ZX81 Crap Games, bring them on! 1K ZX80 Crap Games, in machine code, are particularly welcome! More QL entries to add to mine at the end of the last year, as well as one for another Spectrum-on-steroids machine that I can't reveal directly until [mention]PROSM[/mention] gets round to those last few 2020 reviews! BRING IT ALL ON! Ten submissions by the end of January, over three or four machines, that's what I'm looking for. I mean, what else are you going to do over the weekend when none of us (in Oceania's Airstrip One at least) can even leave the house?

Mush!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

"Mr. Don't"... class! :lol:
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 2:

Two entries, as you've no doubt seen, and hopefully you're enjoying the meagre spoils of victory that Mr. Don't! offers.

Four titles may soon be revealed, but those are for last year's competition.

Meanwhile, the ongoing saga of my house move has just taken a turn for the worse, and I may find myself living in a broom cupboard for a few months if all does not go according to plan. Though I will be armed with my laptop with a horde of emulators on it, testing any submission on real equipment will not be possible at that time. Keep the submissions coming, though - I'll be waiting, ready to pounce on anything that comes my way.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Celebrate! Rejoice! Congraturation! Devising those Colour Challenges wasn't a complete waste of my time! I have high hopes for some of them... well, one of them, the Red Challenge to make a game based on your favourite YouTube channel. Paul E. Collins ([mention]equinox[/mention], I'm reasonably sure?) has written ASMR Eye Examination, in which you can get better acquainted with "the lovely Heather Feather" and her barely-audible voice.

There she is, looking... blue. And cyan. That was Paul's choice of colours, not mine. But the fun doesn't stop there; despite being a HiSoft-compiled entry, there is the BASIC source code at the end of the tape, containing INK, PAPER and BRIGHT set to 8, controls with the IN function, a couple of ABS here and there... and the most bizarre MOVE statement I've ever seen that apparently executes the compiled code (though not on a +2A or +3, which just gives C Nonsense in BASIC). So I'm also crediting this game with an entry in the Magenta Challenge to use lesser-known commands and functions. Now, someone, find a legitimate use for VAL$ and build a game around it!

Also, write something for a QL, a SAM Coupé, a Jupiter Ace, some ZX80 machine code, and anything else I might have asked for in the Challenges.

EDIT: mild apologies to anyone who read the review within the last 40-odd minutes... this game does work on 48K models, and I have adjusted it accordingly.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 3:

So far, a 100% success rate in posting these weekly reports! Only 45 to go, probably, and some tying up of loose ends in December. At this rate, with one submission a week, I'll almost get to 50, but of course I WANT MORE.

Three weeks, three submissions, and there's been an update on ASMR Eye Examination: those who only own a +2A or a +3 can now try it on real hardware, because Paul's tweaked it so that it works on those models... using a VERIFY command. No, really - try it for yourself and see!

When am I going to get the first entry for a machine other than the Spectrum? Can I get one before this month is out? Can I get a handful for the ZX81 in time for its big 40th birthday celebrations? Watch this space and find out!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 4:

NOTHING to add! Not a sausage, or indeed, a crap game about sausages. Nada. Zilch. Neddily-diddly-doodly-ding-dong squat. To fill up the time, I went back to Minecraft for the first time in a year and a half and once that takes me I can be gone for weeks. It was five years, first time round.

But hope springs eternal of a promised game for a computer that's not new to the history of the competition, but hasn't been seen in many years... what could it be? Find out... very soon, I would hope.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I am going to keep on posting the weekly updates on Friday evenings, as it might act as a motivator for those of you who are determined to enter this competition to spend your weekends beavering away at it. I think it may have worked, howling about how I didn't have any submissions for a week, because at 1:18 am, Steve McCrea (or [mention]Kweepa[/mention], as you may know him), sent me Cretans.

Can you see the green dot in the middle of the green maze? That's what you're controlling. Best of luck! Can you make it through the labyrinth to the VIRGINS?

And this set me thinking. This game may use two UDGs to generate the maze, and it may need the POINT function to detect a collision, but surely, somehow, it must be possible to de-convert this game for the ZX81. You could use the ROM characters (the ZX81's equivalent of graphic 6) to generate a smaller version of the maze, use UNPLOT as well as PLOT, and as long as there's some way to detect the collision without POINT, the target is there. And this is why I thought it worth issuing the Green Challenge. Will anyone take it up?
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Pixel-perfect shot is difficult... as the review predicted, I only got as far as level 3. I barely got past the first level as the target blended in so well with the dust on my screen.
Mr Don't - I think I need some tips. Dave! Is there any way to avoid the bad guys swarming around the last couple of pieces of fruit? I am carp at this game.
ASMR - nice blinking animation...
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:53 pm [...]

Can you see the green dot in the middle of the green maze? That's what you're controlling. Best of luck! Can you make it through the labyrinth to the VIRGINS?

[...]
Geez, that's tough as nails! Also, if you send your dot back up to the top of the screen, the program stops with "B Integer out of range". Brilliant! :mrgreen:
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

It's too difficult?
I was considering Cretans Deluxe with a difficulty level:
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

IMPORTANT STATEMENT:

I have just received the fifth entry, barely a day after the fourth. And I was just writing some notes about it for the review, when trouble struck, and I don't mean the hard drive with all my emulation stuff on it has finally died.

My body is going into a state of rebellion. And in these times of mass COVID panic and paranoia I never intended to trouble the NHS with piffling little problems - it had to be a really serious situation.

Pins and needles in the fourth and fifth fingers of my left hand and all the way down that side of my hand is a piffling problem, and it would usually go away quickly. It hasn't gone away, after four days. And this evening, while writing the review of that fifth game, I noticed my hand wasn't quite as mobile as it should be. I can't do "the Star Trek thing" with my left hand, I can't move the fingers on my left hand freely from side to side, unless they curl up. My right hand is absolutely fine and is doing everything I tell it to do, which is a good thing because I'm right-handed.

So, of course, I looked on the internet and words jump out at me, from "trapped nerve", all the way through "carpal tunnel" (it's not that, the wrong fingers are affected) as far as "stroke". And believe me, I'm utterly bloody terrified of the last one, as well as motor neurone disease. But another term that flashed on the screen was "multiple sclerosis". This is a particularly unwelcome condition as I know someone who has been living with it for the last decade or so, and has spent most of that time in a wheelchair. I gave her a call for the first time in... ages upon end. She was prepared to answer my question on how it first happened... and what she described was... worryingly similar to what is happening to me now.

I would like to think I do not give up easily. And I'm certainly not going to throw the competition away at this early stage. But be warned - if I do suddenly disappear for a long time and don't answer any emails or even acknowledge any submissions, it's because I'm in as severe medical trouble as I fear I may be. I might be in hospital... or worse. Who knows where it might lead? I might be able to read and write emails but only with one hand, and then I'm sent a Crap Game with Q/A/O/P controls... which need two hands. How would I get a good impression of the game with only one hand? (Other than editing it to change the controls to I/K/J/L, i.e. a right-handed equivalent of W/A/S/D, but that would be cheating... wouldn't it?)

Of course, this may all go away. It may just be a trapped nerve, especially as I can feel something strange in the bit of my elbow where it was rebuilt 11 years ago, and that may be the cause. But it could be worse, and it could mean being holed up in an institution for months the way Jim Grimwood was. I don't know if he posts here, ever, but he spilled quite a lot of the beans about his major ailment on WOS last year.

So, TL,DR: if I do go AWOL, it's not because I've become bored of the competition and abandoned it. I would never do that. I wanted to run this competition, which is why I made Corona Capers.

Meanwhile, keep the submissions coming in as if nothing was amiss, and I will review them to the best of whatever ability I have at the time. I would hope that this is a minor and short-term error, rather than something that remains with me to the end of my days. And if there ever comes a time that I can't feed myself, wash myself, dress myself and wipe my own arse completely unassisted, it will be time to say goodbye to everyone, everywhere, on an absolutely permanent basis.

More news tomorrow morning when the doctor's surgery opens. That's going to be fun.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Yikes, sorry to hear this. Good luck tomorrow!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Sorry to hear of it, Jim. Hope all goes well tomorrow!
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.