Delta's Shadow

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Delta's Shadow

Post by Andre Leao »

Daren
Manic Miner

Re: Delta's Shadow

Post by Daren »

This is pretty awesome on the Next! Downloaded the playable demo and it's a surefire purchase. That's the first of my Xmas money gone, only €5.

Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

I just purchased it and look forward to playing it soon! Looks unbelivable!

By the way, would it be possible to play this game in a 128K normal Spectrum model like the +2A somehow? Maybe in a Dandanator?
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Ivanzx wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:52 pm I just purchased it and look forward to playing it soon! Looks unbelivable!

By the way, would it be possible to play this game in a 128K normal Spectrum model like the +2A somehow? Maybe in a Dandanator?
If I understood, it is a TRD game. So you will need a divIDE.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Turrican wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:30 pm
Ivanzx wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:52 pm I just purchased it and look forward to playing it soon! Looks unbelivable!

If I understood, it is a TRD game. So you will need a divIDE.
Sometimes, some TRD games can be converted to TAP. ( I think Survivisection was) and also Dandanator has a higher capacity for storage (more than a +3 disk) ;)
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

I bought the game and played it a bit.
Great game.
On Spectaculator and PC Windows (here I played as Next and Classic Spectrum).
Need time to play well because there are too many buttons!
:mrgreen:
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Thanks for posting [mention]Andre Leao[/mention] This is a fantastic high quality game. I played the demo but it's a definite purchase. Tried it on Spectaculator (Pentagon 128k or Scorpion model) and SpecEmu (Pentagon128k model selected) and both work fine.

The control and key response feels very good and the only small downside I would say is getting used to the keys. Default keys are WASD for movement and B & N for fire and jump. Redefine keys option is also available in Settings.
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

For me this is the game of the year :)
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I purchased the game and I certainly don't have buyers remorse. I still haven't made it past the first level but having fun trying.
The Windows version is great too. Feels and plays exactly like the Speccy one.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Just tried this out. They've done the same thing they did with Aliens Neoplasma - needlessly made too many controls. Why does jump need to be a separate key? Makes joystick control unwieldy.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

patters wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:53 am Just tried this out. They've done the same thing they did with Aliens Neoplasma - needlessly made too many controls. Why does jump need to be a separate key? Makes joystick control unwieldy.
Totally agree. The game is fantastic, and more than worth its price in my opinion, but I wish they could map the controls so that you can jump and go up a ladder with the Up key (I did so myself for Sophia II), or at least let you assign the two controls to the same key.
Daren
Manic Miner

Post by Daren »

I agree, it would be great if you could jump by pressing up. I read a comment from one of the team: There are separate jump and fire buttons so you can direct which way you want to fire. For example pressing up and fire fires your boomerang upwards. You wouldn't be able to do that if up was jump.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I had problems with separate "jump" and "up" buttons too.

The default WSAD controls didn't work for me well. I guess I'm an old generation gamer coming from
times when WSAD as a standard was unknown :)

So my redefined keys are a variation of QAOP standard:

O - left
P - right
Q - jump (yes, instead of typical up it is jump as you use jump much more often then up)
A - down
Space - fire
W -up (here's the novelty, when I need to use up I use my jump finger and move one button right).

For example pressing up and fire fires your boomerang upwards. You wouldn't be able to do that if up was jump.
They could do it with one butto by "HOLD FIRE AND PRESS JUMP AT THE SAME TIME".

As for the game itself - yes, it's another recent megagame after Marsmare:Alienation and Wonderful Dizzy.
It has great graphics and lots of content.
It's not easy though. You can advance a lot and then instantly die through some stupid mistake. And then you have to begin from
scratch. It's a also a bit about memorizing the enemy patterns in each locations which isn't my favourite type of
gameplay but I can live with it as the game offers really a lot.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

To be honest I am not very convinced by this explanation, I guess it would have been possible to make Nova shoot upwards when Fire and Up are pressed together. However it is just a slight flaw, the game is excellent and well worth spending your hard-earned cash on it.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

By the way, I would have a bug report.
I did something and the music became "damaged. I include the snapshot
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ou9jp7

I believe I was playing with game settings. Do you know what "graphics quality"
setting actually do? Maybe you can have high quality with music at the same time???

I also several time got the error of writing to the disk = "disk is protected".
I believe the game should warn you that it tries to save some data and
display own error instead of Tr-Dos error
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I finished the demo before purchasing the full version and did not experience this problem.
Ralf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:26 am Do you know what "graphics quality" setting actually do? Maybe you can have high quality with music at the same time???
"High" means that visual effects like debris or some moving parts of the scenery are enabled. Emulators like SpecEmu allow you to change the processor's frequency, 7 Mhz is enough to let the game run at the highest setting.
Ralf wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:26 am I also several time got the error of writing to the disk = "disk is protected".
I believe the game should warn you that it tries to save some data and
display own error instead of Tr-Dos error
Actually that's explained in the text file provided with the game:
When running on the emulator, do not forget to enable writing to the floppy disk, otherwise the game will not work!
Maybe the problem with the audio surfaced because of this.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

A few levels after the motorbike scene, whenever I try to enter a door for the next level,it runs out of memory. Tried in several emulators and even on Spectrum Next, and it happens the same all the time. Not sure what is happening...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Technically the game looks great but essentially, this is Alien Neoplasma on steroids, to me.
I only played the demo, so my impression is incomplete, but at the moment I think the new Dizzy has raised the bar pretty high.
btw, does the full version still require TRDOS support or can it be played on original machines in tap format?
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]Andre Leao[/mention] I have not seen that level yet. Which one is it? Did you try the game on a real Spectrum?

[mention]Pegaz[/mention] Personally I find Delta's Shadow much deeper and more satisfying than Aliens Neoplasma, which did impress me nowhere near as much as everyone else in fact. Anyway, the not-entirely-linear structure of the game means it could hardly be constrained in a sequential data format like .TAP.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

[mention]Alessandro[/mention] , nope, only on MIST, Spectrum Next and some emulators... I don´t know which level it is, but I was playing it for hours. I suspected I was near the end...
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Mist? Is it that sort of box which emulates several retro computers?

I'll try the game on real hardware as soon as I have enough time on my hands (hopefully) to play it up to that point. I would suggest you to contact Aleksey at ZX Online and tell him about the issue (if you haven't done it already).
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Alessandro wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:00 pm Mist? Is it that sort of box which emulates several retro computers?

I'll try the game on real hardware as soon as I have enough time on my hands (hopefully) to play it up to that point. I would suggest you to contact Aleksey at ZX Online and tell him about the issue (if you haven't done it already).
Ref: Mist - yes, it is :)
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:46 pm btw, does the full version still require TRDOS support or can it be played on original machines in tap format?
[mention]Pegaz[/mention] There was a note in the premiere video (at 4 min 7 seconds - just press "Play"): https://youtu.be/_923sqQo3Z0?t=245
where they mentioned there will only be a TRD-version because of the increased data they have used for the game. And there sure will be no TAP-Version.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Alessandro wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:15 am To be honest I am not very convinced by this explanation, I guess it would have been possible to make Nova shoot upwards when Fire and Up are pressed together. However it is just a slight flaw, the game is excellent and well worth spending your hard-earned cash on it.
To combat the annoyance of the vintage "up-is-jump-or-accelerate" joystick control schemes, I use a Master System pad which I wired up so that the second button activates the up direction too. Best of both worlds. Useless for this game though...
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Really enjoying this game! The Next version looks beautiful but is still recognisably Spectrum-like. The classic version looks great too and both versions play like a dream.

I've noticed a few glitches in the controls. On the classic version I can't fire diagonally down-left, although I can fire diagonally down-right. I can fire both directions on the Next, but there's another little inconsistency... Whereas on the Spectrum version I can fire downwards while on a ladder, on the Next I can't - I have to be jumping. On both versions I can't fire directly down when I'm just standing, but this bit might be normal/expected.

I'm running the Next version on real hardware, and the Spectrum version on Fuse for Mac. I'm using Interface 2 keys + Space, ie: 6=left, 7=right, 8=down, 9=up, 0=jump, space=fire.