+2B with a non responsive keyboard

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
JollyRoger
Microbot

+2B with a non responsive keyboard

Post by JollyRoger »

Hey all, I've landed a boxed +2B in the 007 Action Pack, complete with the lightgun, PSU, joystick and a few cassettes for around £40. The seller claimed it was working but within seconds of powering it up, a problem became apparent - the keyboard is completely non-responsive.

It's impossible to proceed past the main menu - the cursor keys do not work, neither does the enter key: nothing responds: except for the reset button! I've contacted the seller in order to begin the refund/return process but in the meantime, I'm eager to know if there's a simple fix that could correct the problem. If it's a situation where the keyboard unit needs to be replaced, I'd ask the seller to refund me the difference.

Google is my friend and a search brought up this video where someone resolved a +2A keyboard fault by dismantling and cleaning it:

[media]https://youtu.be/CqgiyrU2Mkg[/media]

Does anyone who is more knowledgable about this issue have any tips?

Thanks as always.
shock__
Drutt

Re: +2B with a non responsive keyboard

Post by shock__ »

Check whether the flex connectors are seated properly and aren't broken/snapped?
Also worth a try to validate with a multimeter that the rubber spacers aren't flat causing permanent keypresses (was the issue on an Acord Archimedes I worked on a while back - quick & dirty fix: rebuilding the spacers using electrical tape -> https://i.imgur.com/KaAIt8G.jpg)
ZX: Pentagon 48 (as 128) | ZS Scorpion 256 Turbo+ (SMUC + ZXM GS) | Compact 256 Turbo (Scorpion INT + fixed Covox) | ZX Spectrum 48K (DivIDE + K-AY + RS232) | Sprinter 2016S | Didaktik M (RGB)
TBD: CoBra | ATM Turbo 2+ | Pentagon 1024SL 2.2
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Plug in the joystick and move it around. If the computer produces low-pitch clicks, then it’s likely just a matter of cleaning the keyboard connectors.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:02 pm Plug in the joystick and move it around. If the computer produces low-pitch clicks, then it’s likely just a matter of cleaning the keyboard connectors.
I've plugged in the computer and turned up the volume - there's a constant stream of low-pitched clicks but they're temporarily interrupted if I press the keys or move the (non-Sinclair standard) joystick in particular directions or press its fire buttons.
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

JollyRoger wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:33 pm I've plugged in the computer and turned up the volume - there's a constant stream of low-pitched clicks but they're temporarily interrupted if I press the keys or move the (non-Sinclair standard) joystick in particular directions or press its fire buttons.
If pressing a key interrupts the clicks then it sounds like the keyboard is working at some level and probably has either a stuck key, or some muck in there making pressure against one of the membrane pads. I had exactly the same with the +2a I was taking apart a few days ago, a strip down and good clean resolved it.

If you're up to it I would remove and completely strip down the keyboard, while you have the keyboard disconnected switch on the Speccy and see if you still get the clicks. If not, that almost certainly isolates the problem to the keyboard. Have a careful look over the membrane to see if there is any obvious damage or evidence of liquid spillages that could be shorting out one of the contacts.

Remove all the keycaps and springs and wash all the plastics (NOT the membrane) in some hot soapy water. The small springs in the centre of the keys may seem scary to remove at first, but just take a firm grip between finger and thumb and give them a sharp positive tug and you should find they come out easily. Don't lose any springs, they're a b*%ger to replace. :) I can't remember if one of the keys on the +2a uses a smaller spring (enter key?), if so make a note which key it goes back with. To clean the membrane I would very carefully use a slightly damp microfibre cloth, and immediately dry it off with a dry microfibre. Don't use any chemicals.

When you come to put it all back together make sure everything is completely bone dry as you don't want to be trapping any moisture inside.
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

MrClump wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:23 pm If pressing a key interrupts the clicks then it sounds like the keyboard is working at some level and probably has either a stuck key, or some muck in there making pressure against one of the membrane pads. I had exactly the same with the +2a I was taking apart a few days ago, a strip down and good clean resolved it.
I had a similar hunch and as you'll see, I've made some effort on this front. :)

Here's some snaps of the PCB in case they're helpful/interesting:

MrClump wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:23 pm If you're up to it I would remove and completely strip down the keyboard, while you have the keyboard disconnected switch on the Speccy and see if you still get the clicks. If not, that almost certainly isolates the problem to the keyboard.
It definitely appears to be a keyboard issue. I powered up the Speccy with the keyboard removed and the clicks had vanished. I went a stage further and tried the two keyboard connectors separately.

When the right-hand cable is connected, there are no clicks but when the left-hand cable is plugged in, the stream of clicks resumes. Does this help to further pinpoint the problem? None of the keys reacted to presses with just the right-hand cable connected. Is that normal? I was expecting some to work.
MrClump wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:23 pm Have a careful look over the membrane to see if there is any obvious damage or evidence of liquid spillages that could be shorting out one of the contacts.

Remove all the keycaps and springs and wash all the plastics (NOT the membrane) in some hot soapy water. The small springs in the centre of the keys may seem scary to remove at first, but just take a firm grip between finger and thumb and give them a sharp positive tug and you should find they come out easily. Don't lose any springs, they're a b*%ger to replace. :) I can't remember if one of the keys on the +2a uses a smaller spring (enter key?), if so make a note which key it goes back with. To clean the membrane I would very carefully use a slightly damp microfibre cloth, and immediately dry it off with a dry microfibre. Don't use any chemicals.

When you come to put it all back together make sure everything is completely bone dry as you don't want to be trapping any moisture inside.
Thanks, I'll give this a go and report back. I was cautious about jumping into the works if I was going to pursue the return/refund process but if I can restore the keyboard this way then that's great. :) I'll take snaps of the springs and use those as my notes because I think that will work best for me. Thanks again.
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

If that's how it looked when you opened it then it's nice and clean.

I'm 99% certain both keyboard membrane tails have to be connected for there to be any keyboard function, so having just one connected doesn't really tell you anything.

Just take your time, make sure you've got a clear workspace and treat that keyboard membrane like the precious irreplaceable object it is! :)

It's worth taking a look at this video beforehand, it shows a grey +2, but the keyboard construction is virtually identical. It doesn't show removing the small captive springs from the keycaps, but if you're going to wash them you will need to remove them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbz-drKssA
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

Cheers, I've downloaded that video and will study it religiously before I get going. :D
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

[mention]MrClump[/mention] your instincts were spot on! :D

Here's what I found after partially stripping down the keyboard...

Behold, the culprit!

No wonder the keyboard wouldn't work - and the seller had informed me that the computer was fully operational, they obviously hadn't tried testing it beyond the powering-up phase, if they even bothered to do that... Moving on, I cleaned up the keyboard's internals a little - which of course included removing the screw and went straight to the stage of connecting the membrane (sans keyboard) to the computer to check that it hadn't been damaged.

Time for the moment of truth...

Success! No more constant clicks and I was able to scroll up and down the menu. :D

I then reassembled the entire computer and gave the keyboard a little workout:

Fully repaired, I'd say. :)

Using a car cassette adapter, I loaded up a couple of games from an Android phone, thanks to the brilliant freeware PlayZX.

It's interesting to observe the differences in image between the +2B and my Issue 2 48K on the same TV using RF. Check out Rick Dangerous on the +2B:

Rick Dangerous on the Issue 2 48K, with the same TV and the same settings:

Huge difference, right?

After massively reducing the contrast, brightness and colour, I was able to obtain this:

What happened between the generations of machines? Did Amstrad re-engineer the video output? I'd be interested in your comments. Also, I've noticed that the AY sound is somewhat lower in volume and that of the beeper - I thought that this had been corrected by the time of the +2B's era. I'm definitely going to give the +2B a good, thorough clean up as recommended and I'm now very confident with carrying out the disassembly so it won't be daunting. Thanks so much for the responses and guidance that have yielded success - I'm delighted to have a working machine - and at £41 it was a steal compared to the prices I've seen on eBay for +2A and +2B's that aren't even boxed etc.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Sinclair reengineered the video circuitry with the issue 3 and onwards versions of the 16K/48K/+ boards. Again with the 128K toastrack. And yes, Amstrad also did it with the +2A/+2B/+3/+3B.

In the 16K/48K/+ machines, the ULA outputs/Y, U and V component video signals (and no, feeding these to a TV won’t give you a picture). They then get converted to composite video.

The 128K toastrack uses a ULA that outputs RGB video signals, as do all later Speccy models. Hence use a different colour encoder chip,

The 2A/+2B/+3/+3B use a gate array instead of a ULA.

So take your pick.

Oh, and even if you have two machines with the same board, as the video system is analogue, you may find slightly different pictures between them...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 am Sinclair reengineered the video circuitry with the issue 3 and onwards versions of the 16K/48K/+ boards. Again with the 128K toastrack. And yes, Amstrad also did it with the +2A/+2B/+3/+3B.
I've received quite the education on ZX Spectrum hardware during the brief time I've been a member of this forum and it's been illuminating to say the least. :)

When I ressurrect the 48k+ I'll have to make a point of paying attention to it's video image - it has an issue 4B board. :D
1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 am In the 16K/48K/+ machines, the ULA outputs/Y, U and V component video signals (and no, feeding these to a TV won’t give you a picture). They then get converted to composite video.

The 128K toastrack uses a ULA that outputs RGB video signals, as do all later Speccy models. Hence use a different colour encoder chip,
Gotcha - and hence the marked difference in the video image. ;)
1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 am The 2A/+2B/+3/+3B use a gate array instead of a ULA.
Are gate arrays superior to ULA's?
1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 am So take your pick.
I wanted a 128K machine and It was your comments in the thread below that persuaded me to track down a +2A/+2B. :D

https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... ent_772921
1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 am Oh, and even if you have two machines with the same board, as the video system is analogue, you may find slightly different pictures between them...

Mark
Out of curiosity, how many do you own? I have an image in my head that's reminiscent of the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark...
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

My +2A sometimes has the keys not register unless I press them hard. I want to clean the keyboard, how hard was it when you did it?
Alex
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

Sparky wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:51 am My +2A sometimes has the keys not register unless I press them hard. I want to clean the keyboard, how hard was it when you did it?
Much easier than I anticipated, the video that [mention]MrClump[/mention] shared was extremely helpful. I haven't gone all the way with a real thorough clean by removing the keys and springs yet but from what I saw when I partially disassembled the keyboard, it's not that difficult - you just need to go slowly and take your time. :)
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

Thanks!
Alex
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

Fantastic news, you’ve got yourself a bit of a bargain there. 😃
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

JollyRoger wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:30 am Are gate arrays superior to ULA's?
Yes, the NEC gate array used by Amstrad is a CMOS device and a fully digital design so runs cold. The ULA used by Sinclair is an older technology and they crammed it full of logic and sneaky analog circuitry. Consequently they run very hot.
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

Guesser wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:59 am Yes, the NEC gate array used by Amstrad is a CMOS device and a fully digital design so runs cold. The ULA used by Sinclair is an older technology and they crammed it full of logic and sneaky analog circuitry. Consequently they run very hot.
With of course the caveat that unlike ULAs they are not replaceable with a modern replacement, and NOS chips are slightly less common than hen's teeth.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

MrClump wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 pm With of course the caveat that unlike ULAs they are not replaceable with a modern replacement, and NOS chips are slightly less common than hen's teeth.
That's not Amstrad, or the IC's fault though :)
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

Guesser wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 pm That's not Amstrad, or the IC's fault though :)
:D
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Guesser wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 pm That's not Amstrad, or the IC's fault though :)
Oh yes it is!

Err, whoops, wrong panto...

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
MrClump
Microbot

Post by MrClump »

I was watching one of GadgetUK164's most excellent repair videos on Youtube a few days ago and he was making a very good point on not pushing down on the gate array from above, as the solder connections are on the underside of the PCB and quite fragile and easy to crack if applying downward pressure.

I always wondered why Amstrad mounted it in that unusual manner, I assume because they couldn't fit all the traces on the top side of the PCB? But then why have it mounted in a hole in the PCB?
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

mounting chips flipped in a hole like that increases the clearance below, but that isn't an issue in the spectrum. It makes it harder to manufacture (can't just be glued to the board and put through the soldering bath). Very strange design.
Maybe they got the first batch of chips half way through routing the board and realised they had the pinout reversed :lol:
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

MrClump wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:48 am Fantastic news, you’ve got yourself a bit of a bargain there. 😃
I've certainly enjoyed a run of good luck: the Issue 2 48K for £5, I ended up with the 48K+ for free and now this. All of which has transpired since joining this forum. You've all brought me good fortune. :lol:
Guesser wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:59 am
JollyRoger wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:30 am Are gate arrays superior to ULA's?
Yes, the NEC gate array used by Amstrad is a CMOS device and a fully digital design so runs cold. The ULA used by Sinclair is an older technology and they crammed it full of logic and sneaky analog circuitry. Consequently they run very hot.
Which explains the context behind people recommending the addition of a heatsink to the ULA in their YouTube videos.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Oh my, he’s only gone and said the special word :shock:

The ULA uses bipolar transistor technology, and the matrix cells (internal logic) runs at about 0.95V. Specifically the type of technology is called Current Mode Logic (or CML). To interface the matrix cells to external circuitry, peripheral cells are provided. These circuits connect to the outside world via the chip pins. These use a fair amount of power because they operate from VCC (+5V).

As I said, the matrix cells run at about 0.95V. So on chip series voltage regulators are provided to reduce the voltage on the relevant power input pin down to about 0.95V. These regulator circuits themselves run rather warm. Incidentally, the power to the chips internal regulators goes via the large resistor (R34) near the ULA.

The upshot of all this, is that these ULA chips are intended and are designed to run HOT. Silicon semiconductors can run without problems at up to between 100°C and 125°C (depending on the actual device). Note however that this is the internal chip temperature.

The plastic case (or encapsulation) of the chip is not a very good conductor of heat. And in a rubber key model, the ventilation of the air in the case is not very good. The whole point of a metal heatsink is to move the heat from the device to the air. Another thing, the heatsink should make really good contact with the very middle of the case of the chip (as this is where the silicon die is in the case). And a thin smear of heatsink compound/silicon grease should be used. The objective being that the grease fills in the small holes and imperfections in the surfaces of the chip and the heatsink. The grease is not supposed to be like a thick filling in a sandwich. And the heatsink needs to be very tightly held against the chip for a good thermal heat transfer.

If the air is unable to move much over and around the heatsink due to the small case and the lack of ventilation, the heatsink will not be able to transfer much heat into the air. So putting a heatsink on the ULA does not significantly reduce the internal temperature of the chip. Even though it may give owners a warm fuzzy feeling that they have done some good.

If you want to reduce the air temperature in the case (which will be more beneficial to everything on the board), remove the 7805 voltage regulator and it’s metal heatsink. Then fit a RECOM, TRACO POWER or MuRata DC-DC converter. These are far more efficient than the 7805 series voltage regulator. The bulk of the heat inside a ZX Spectrum comes from the 7805.

I don’t bother with any heatsinks on any ULA chips in any of my Sinclair ZX81 or ZX Spectrum 16k/48k/+ machines.

I’ll get down off my soapbox now...

Mark
“There are four lights!”
JollyRoger
Microbot

Post by JollyRoger »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:11 pm I don’t bother with any heatsinks on any ULA chips in any of my Sinclair ZX81 or ZX Spectrum 16k/48k/+ machines.

I’ll get down off my soapbox now...

Mark
Mark, your insights are incredibly helpful to novices such as myself because they alert me to which procedures I should avoid. Placing a heatsink on top of a ULA is now one of them! :lol:

Any others? :)