Cloudflare

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Cloudflare

Post by PeterJ »

I'm currently implementing a system called Cloudflare which is supposed to reduce the possibility of DDos attacks, and improve site speeds. There may be some disruption whilst things settle down.

You can read more about it here.

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/learni ... loudflare/
Peter
+3code

Re: Cloudflare

Post by +3code »

Where?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

+3code wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:58 pmWhere?
Post edited!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Initial results look positive:

abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

RSS stopped working from stand-alone clients (it works in browser after completing Cloudflare checks).

i get the following error in client:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

!15-Jan-2021, 04:58:54: RSS   - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/app.php/feed/forum/21 - Invalid XML was received (Folder: "\\RSS Subscriptions\Spectrum Computing\Games"; Details: "DTD is prohibited. /  / Line: 1 / <!DOCTYPE HTML>")
is there way to make RSS work again in stand-alone clients?
MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

In Windows 2003 (XP) in Chrome, the forum stopped working. I certainly understand old stuff. But it worked before, and other sites / forums are still working.
The FF is still opening this forum.
I am not complaining :), I inform.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]abelenki[/mention],

I'm afraid Chrome is unsupported in XP, and not been updated for a long time. You could possibly try adding the site as trusted, but not much more I can suggest. Sorry.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

abelenki wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:07 am RSS stopped working from stand-alone clients (it works in browser after completing Cloudflare checks).

Spoiler

!15-Jan-2021, 04:58:54: RSS   - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forums/app.php/feed/forum/21 - Invalid XML was received (Folder: "\\RSS Subscriptions\Spectrum Computing\Games"; Details: "DTD is prohibited. /  / Line: 1 / <!DOCTYPE HTML>")
Hi,

Please could you PM me with which tool you are using for RSS, which OS you are using etc.
abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

PeterJ, PM sent.
MAME Stuff | ZX Spectrum favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

abelenki wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:07 am RSS stopped working from stand-alone clients (it works in browser after completing Cloudflare checks).

Spoiler

Hi,

Please could you try again. I have added 'The Bat!' user agent to the safe list.

abelenki
Dizzy

Post by abelenki »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:17 pmPlease could you try again. I have added 'The Bat!' user agent to the safe list.
PeterJ, RSS started to work again! thanks a lot for fixing an issue.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Links on facebook look like this now:

but they do still work though.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]StooB[/mention]. I block bots apart from Google and Bing currently. Let me do some digging as to have Clouldflare defines Facebook links.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Fixed [mention]StooB[/mention],

Thanks for letting me know.

Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Hi Peter,

Any chance that Cloudflare changes are responsible for breaking QAOP emulator links? Since a few days any attempt to open a QAOP link results in a "Failed to fetch". For example the brilliant Blue Thunder. The jsspeccy link does start.

Firefox console:
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/temp/9Z ... 1RFQd6.TAP. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).
Chrome console:
Access to fetch at 'https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/temp/9Z ... 1RFQd6.TAP' from origin 'http://torinak.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.
Is this something on your side or something on Jan's side?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi [mention]Stefan[/mention],

Thanks for the report. I have temporally switched off cloudflare and it works. However I do still get the message 'Failed to Fetch' - Don't know if that was there previously. Initial checks show no entries for the QAOP servers IP address in the logs.

I have turned Cloudflare back on and will do some investigations later in the week. Do you have contact details for Jan? If so could you PM me (assuming he is OK for me to contact him?).

There is quite a bit on the web about 'CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing', but I have to admit that I'm struggling to understand it.

If anyone has any bright ideas please let me know. If it involves making changes please PM me rather than posting publicly. Thanks.

The good news is that with a combination of Cloudflare and some changes to the caching on the server, CPU usage has been stable at under 20% for the last week.

EDITED at 10:02
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Please can you test again [mention]Stefan[/mention]?

Still get the Failed to Fetch warning, but the file loads into the emulator OK, and starts as expected. I had to alter a setting linked to how cloudflare does its caching.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Hi, I was also seeing these unable to fetch msgs when trying to open Qaop links.

Can also test again later if that helps (makes playing a Spectrum classic sound like a noble sacrifice)
Definition of loop : see loop
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:24 pm Can also test again later if that helps (makes playing a Spectrum classic sound like a noble sacrifice)
Yes please. I still get the warning, but the game loads now.

Note, I still get that warning even with Cloudflare off. This is only a guess, but it maybe because they don't have HTTPS.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Hi [mention]PeterJ[/mention],

I've sent a PM with some details about CORS (I've a wee bit of experience of it from working in web development!). It's not so much HTTPS or Cloudflare that's the issue, it's just that the SC web server needs to give explicit permission for QUAOP (i.e. http://torinak.com/) to be allowed to fetch data "cross-origin" (which is to say from another web domain).

Browsers will restrict themselves from loading certain kinds of files in certain contexts - in this case our browsers won't allow a script hosted at torinak.com to subsequently fetch data from spectrumcomputing.co.uk. (The "data" in this case being the .TAP file). Older browsers might behave differently but since all modern browsers support CORS enabling that in the server configuration should resolve it. (I've put more specific details in the PM).

Cheers,
Robert
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Cor that’s sounds helpful :lol:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]flatduckrecords[/mention],

I implemented the change that you suggested and everything seems to be working well, and the warning no longer appears.

Much appreciated.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:29 pm
Turtle_Quality wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:24 pm Can also test again later if that helps (makes playing a Spectrum classic sound like a noble sacrifice)
Yes please. I still get the warning, but the game loads now.

Note, I still get that warning even with Cloudflare off. This is only a guess, but it maybe because they don't have HTTPS.
I still get failed to Fetch, and game doesn't open, when using QAOP link with Coloristic (first one I tested). Jspeccy link works fine
Definition of loop : see loop
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for testing [mention]Turtle_Quality[/mention],

It's working fine for me with Coloristic. Can you clear your cache?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:41 pm I still get failed to Fetch, and game doesn't open, when using QAOP link with Coloristic (first one I tested). Jspeccy link works fine
Jspeccy is hosted on SC itself, though, so it works. QAOP is hosted externally. I too get an error:

Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.