Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:43 pm
Turrican wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:04 pm On my real ZX-UNO, the pzx files works ok. No problems.
Same here - works on my ZX-UNO - but someone who isn't the author saying it works carries far more weight. :)

I'm not sure whether you need the 2mb version for pzx playback to work? You also need a recent core for it to work correctly as well.
Thanks, it's probably an emulator issue, then...
I don't know which core is needed for pzx support, RVM emulates ZX Uno v4.2, 2Mb, Core EXP26-040418, BIOS v0.76, with exdos 0.8.6 installed.
I just wanted to try various tzx files with custom loaders, which are much easier to convert to pzx.
It seems, that in such cases its best to make snapshots, since I noticed that a certain number of tap files with custom loaders will not work either.
Anyway, your browser works great, makes the job a lot easier compared to the default one and it's really fun to test all the features... :)
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Hi Bob,

First of all, thanks for your incredible work doing this new browser. On the multilingual ZX-Uno forum I am keeping track of all the progress.

On the other hand, I have just published a dual distribution for ZX-Uno, with the + 3DOS and FAT16 filesystems on the same SD card. The fact is that your browser does not work in this type of configuration, and Dr. Slump's does.

If you think it is convenient you can take a look and download the 2 GB image from here.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:41 am Hi Bob,

First of all, thanks for your incredible work doing this new browser. On the multilingual ZX-Uno forum I am keeping track of all the progress.

On the other hand, I have just published a dual distribution for ZX-Uno, with the + 3DOS and FAT16 filesystems on the same SD card. The fact is that your browser does not work in this type of configuration, and Dr. Slump's does.

If you think it is convenient you can take a look and download the 2 GB image from here.
I downloaded the image and ran it through the Fuse emulator. I can get the .browse command to work if I launch the dot command .brwscfg, select the advanced tab and set device to 2. If you save the config and try .browse again, the browser works. For more detailed instructions please refer to the 'Q: When I start the BROWSE dot command, why does the border go black and nothing happens?' section in manual.txt.

Dr Slumps' NMI browser will always work better with non standard disk configurations as it is accessing the files through the esxdos API. If esxdos boots and successfully mounts your disk then it can access the files and therefore any application using the esxdos API to access files will work - with the 8.3 filename limitation. To get long filenames to work, my browser is doing low level disk access to the FAT file system which is more prone to issues with the disk setup.

The latest released version of the browser is 0.13. Your image has 0.12. :)
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 am

I downloaded the image and ran it through the Fuse emulator. I can get the .browse command to work if I launch the dot command .brwscfg, select the advanced tab and set device to 2. If you save the config and try .browse again, the browser works. For more detailed instructions please refer to the 'Q: When I start the BROWSE dot command, why does the border go black and nothing happens?' section in manual.txt.

Dr Slumps' NMI browser will always work better with non standard disk configurations as it is accessing the files through the esxdos API. If esxdos boots and successfully mounts your disk then it can access the files and therefore any application using the esxdos API to access files will work - with the 8.3 filename limitation. To get long filenames to work, my browser is doing low level disk access to the FAT file system which is more prone to issues with the disk setup.

The latest released version of the browser is 0.13. Your image has 0.12. :)

Wow! Thank you for responding quickly. I have seen that with the indications you have given me it works. I am going to generate a new image. So it did not work for me I left version 0.12, but now that I know how to fix it I will put 0.13 and it will be able to change cyclically between your navigator and Dr. Slumps' NMI browser.

Edit: Done!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

Added 'speed dial' internal plugin for the DivMMC version. This lets you assign folder shortcuts to Symbol Shift 1- 9. You need to create a file:

Code: Select all

/bin/bplugins/_spd.dat
which is a text file that has the following layout:

1=/
2=/tap/games
3=/tap/demos
4=/pzx
5=/screens/gigasc~1
6=/trdos
7=/music
A speed dial entry starts with a number from 1-9 followed by an equals sign and then a path on the disk starting with the / character. In the above example, I have speed dials assigned to Symbol Shift 1-7. Symbol Shift + 1 takes me to the root folder, whereas pressing Symbol Shift +3 takes me to my 'demos' sub folder inside my 'tap' folder. As you can see from the entry for speed dial number 5, the paths are in 8.3 format and don't support long file names.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I tested the image on an RVM emulator and it works really well, thanks for sharing.
The 3DOS partition is very interesting and works great including the workbench.
This is the first time I've seen this, it looks pretty impressive, although I don't know how useful it really is.
A couple of questions:
What is the purpose of the PROGRAMS, DOS, BEEB and SYSTEM folders?
Are they necessary or can they be deleted?
What is the easiest way to insert another tap files for multipart programs or music players with different songs, etc?
Also, there are midi files in this image, can we play them somehow?
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

My distributions for ZX-Uno are incremental, so in the latest version I only explain the new. To see everything they contain you have to read the previous publications. You have to rewind like in the movie "Memento" :D
Pegaz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:34 pm What is the purpose of the PROGRAMS, DOS, BEEB and SYSTEM folders?
Are they necessary or can they be deleted?
I have a lot of roms installed on my ZX-Uno:

PROGRAMS, DOS and SYSTEM folders are for SE BASIC IV 4.2 IGGY firmware by Andrew Owen. More information here: https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4073

BEEB folder is for BBC BASIC for AUTOBOOT.BAS rom (attach a .TAP file to later be able to write and read from it with SAVE and LOAD sentences).

Pegaz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:34 pm What is the easiest way to insert another tap files for multipart programs or music players with different songs, etc?
Attach files with NMI browsers (Bob Fossil & Dr. Slump).

Pegaz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:34 pm Also, there are midi files in this image, can we play them somehow?
I have a ZX GO+ with MIDI and WIFI addons.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37Aul4DpTE[/media]

You can see more videos of my YouTube channel playing .mid files or using the WIFI addon:

https://www.youtube.com/user/desUBIKadoYT/videos
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

[mention]desUBIKado[/mention]

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, its very useful. :)
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Tested the [mention]bob_fossil[/mention] browser with various scl files and I can only say that it works very well.
I also have one question about that.
Each scl file after conversion, leaves a duplicate game image in .trd format, which accumulate and take up approximately 10x more space on sd card.
For example, 1000 converted scl files take up an additional 650 Mb of space.
Is it possible for this conversion to be done by having each converted scl file overwrite the previous .trd file ?
btw, tested with latest beta v0.14a4, no issues so far. :)

I would also have a couple of newby questions, related to the ZX-Uno:
- Is it possible to connect wifi keyboard/mouse to Uno or wired ps/2 keyboard is the only solution ?
- Is it possible to turn on/off additional graphics modes within Spectrum basic (with some Pokes, for example), to obtain full compatibility with some older games/demos ?
I know it can be done in the BIOS, but I wonder if there is any alternative solution.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm - Is it possible to connect wifi keyboard/mouse to Uno or wired ps/2 keyboard is the only solution ?
wifi keyboard / mouse usually require usb dongle. Uno does not support device usb, only ps/2
... both keyboard and ps/2 mouse can be connected at the same time.

Pegaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm I know it can be done in the BIOS, but I wonder if there is any alternative solution.
of course you can, and through the configurator for the command with a dot, and through this browser. Very convenient, no need to enter the BIOS, although this is also not difficult.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Thanks [mention]azesmbog[/mention].

Is there any wireless keyboard solution for Uno at all?
I'm not a fan of long sitting near the Monitor/TV and I was hoping that I could comfortably sit in an armchair with a wifi keyboard and use Uno from the distance on my TV, without tangling wires around the room. :)

Regarding the second question, I know I can change the speed and timings in the Bob's browser with keyboard shortcuts, but I haven't found a way to disable/enable the "New G. Mode" option in the Main section of the BIOS.
It would be very convenient if we could do it from BASIC as well.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Uno has its own dotted commands.
.ZXUNOCFG for example

db "-gN: choose Graph modes", 13
                     db "N = e: New G. Modes enable", 13
                     db "N = d: New G. Modes disable", 13,13
if you do it completely through BASIC, then it is quite possible to make a couple of lines, write two values to the ports. but I'm not doing it for sure :)
Pegaz wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am
Is there any wireless keyboard solution for Uno at all?
Yes! There is!!
And this solution is called - MiSTer! :)
We connect a wireless keyboard or joystick - and use it :)
velesoft
Drutt

Post by velesoft »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Memory
------

Plugins assume a minimum 128k of pageable divMMC memory is available. The page usage is as follows:

0,1,2,3,4 	: Internal esxdos usage
5,6,7,8,9,10	: browser RAM backup pages (NMI and .dot command versions)
11              : plugin RAM backup for browser code overwritten by the plugin at 32768
12              : 8k scratch for plugin usage
13              : 8k scratch for plugin usage

As I see then on DIVMMC esxdos use 40kB and this new browser next 72 kB. Total 40 + 72 = 112 kB

DIVMMC interface exist in two variants:

- most popular DIVMMC from Ben Versteeg contain 128kB ram. Then only 16kB is free for next expansions.

- other DIVMMC clones by Zaxon, DivMMC Future, etc.. contain often full 512kB ram. Here is 400kB free.

You plan use more than 72kB for browser ?
I plan make some software using DIVMMC ram but I need know free divmmc ram pages. You have signed used DIVMMC pages for possibility detect free ram pages ?

For example I plan add possibility install own custom ZX rom with possibility switch back to system ESXDOS.
Custom rom will be install to ram3 + ram 14 and in ram 15 will be code for switch back to esxdos with original rom.
On DIVMMC with 512kB ram may be without problems used external free ram 400kB for next expansions/features or for games.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

velesoft wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm
As I see then on DIVMMC esxdos use 40kB and this new browser next 72 kB. Total 40 + 72 = 112 kB

DIVMMC interface exist in two variants:

- most popular DIVMMC from Ben Versteeg contain 128kB ram. Then only 16kB is free for next expansions.

- other DIVMMC clones by Zaxon, DivMMC Future, etc.. contain often full 512kB ram. Here is 400kB free.

You plan use more than 72kB for browser ?
I plan make some software using DIVMMC ram but I need know free divmmc ram pages. You have signed used DIVMMC pages for possibility detect free ram pages ?

For example I plan add possibility install own custom ZX rom with possibility switch back to system ESXDOS.
Custom rom will be install to ram3 + ram 14 and in ram 15 will be code for switch back to esxdos with original rom.
On DIVMMC with 512kB ram may be without problems used external free ram 400kB for next expansions/features or for games.
I don't have any current plans to use more memory page in the browser. The pages are only used when you run the dot command or NMI. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by 'You have signed used DIVMMC pages for possibility detect free ram pages ?' Is there a memory location I should be writing to to indicate which pages I've used? I can't add marker or ID bytes to the pages as they're being fully used for the RAM backup.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm - Is it possible to turn on/off additional graphics modes within Spectrum basic (with some Pokes, for example), to obtain full compatibility with some older games/demos ?
1. Using OUTs in BASIC
2. Using .ZXUC and .ZXUCSAVE esxDOS commands: https://github.com/Utodev/ZXUC
3. Using .zxunocfg (azesmbog's version) esxDOS command with -g parameter.
4. Using Spectrum roms with New Graphic Modes (Radastan, Timex Hi-Res & Hi-Color) disabled.

You can use this distribution that makes everything much easier: https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4103
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

desUBIKado wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:57 pm
Pegaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm - Is it possible to turn on/off additional graphics modes within Spectrum basic (with some Pokes, for example), to obtain full compatibility with some older games/demos ?
1. Using OUTs in BASIC
2. Using .ZXUC and .ZXUCSAVE esxDOS commands: https://github.com/Utodev/ZXUC
3. Using .zxunocfg (azesmbog's version) esxDOS command with -g parameter.
4. Using Spectrum roms with New Graphic Modes (Radastan, Timex Hi-Res & Hi-Color) disabled.

You can use this distribution that makes everything much easier: https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4103
Great, thank you.
I think the fourth solution is the easiest, I just choose one no NGM Rom at boot and get full compatibility. :)
btw, I've already tried your Dual image, this one is also really good, a complete solution not only for Spectrum, but for other cores as well.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm Tested the @bob_fossil browser with various scl files and I can only say that it works very well.
I also have one question about that.
Each scl file after conversion, leaves a duplicate game image in .trd format, which accumulate and take up approximately 10x more space on sd card.
For example, 1000 converted scl files take up an additional 650 Mb of space.
Is it possible for this conversion to be done by having each converted scl file overwrite the previous .trd file ?
btw, tested with latest beta v0.14a4, no issues so far. :)
Just so you know, the SCL plugin always creates trimmed .trd files - so it will only be a couple of kilobytes larger than the original .scl file. I take your point about the option to maybe convert to a specific filename in say the /tmp folder so you only ever have one converted .trd file on the disk at any time. Something to look at in the future.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

v0.14
  • Added POK plugin to handle .pok files.
  • Added Find Mode (Shift + F) to search for files inside a folder. File Information has now been moved to Shift + R.
  • Added Speed Dial (Symbol Shift 1 - 9) keys to switch the browser to a specified folder or launch a specified file.
  • You can now create cache files for folders (Shift + Z) to speed up the access time for large folders.
  • Added file navigation keys to PT1, PT2, PT3, SQT and STC music player plugins.
  • Fixed issue with FAT32 folder reading code which would cause corrupted folder reads in some situations.
  • External command (Shift + L) caused a crash if you selected it for a file.
  • File Information now shows the date for a file.
  • Better handling of long filenames which get truncated - some filenames were overflowing the line.
Download here.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:09 pm v0.14
  • Added Find Mode (Shift + F) to search for files inside a folder. File Information has now been moved to Shift + R.
  • Added Speed Dial (Symbol Shift 1 - 9) keys to switch the browser to a specified folder or launch a specified file.
  • You can now create cache files for folders (Shift + Z) to speed up the access time for large folders.
  • Added file navigation keys to PT1, PT2, PT3, SQT and STC music player plugins.
  • Fixed issue with FAT32 folder reading code which would cause corrupted folder reads in some situations.
  • Better handling of long filenames which get truncated - some filenames were overflowing the line.
Download here.
Something is wrong. /SYS/NMI.SYS file is the same in 0.13, TEST0.14-4 and 0.14 versions. :?:
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

desUBIKado wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:01 pm
Download here.
Something is wrong. /SYS/NMI.SYS file is the same in 0.13, TEST0.14-4 and 0.14 versions. :?:
NMI.SYS is just a stub file which loads BROWSE.BIN. It doesn't do anything else so it doesn't necessarily have to change between versions. The last big change to NMI.SYS was to support using DivMMC memory banks to save the RAM instead of writing it to the SD Card back in v0.13.
sromero
Drutt

Post by sromero »

Download here.
Awesome update, POK files, SHIFT+F and folder caching! Thanks!
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

I have noticed that the help screen keeps showing "Caps Shift+F Show file information", when now the functionality is FIND. When it has been modified, another line should be added with "Caps Shift + R Show file information, and new rows for Caps Shift + R and Symbol Shift 1 - 9.

Thank you very much for your work, it is something incredible.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

I comment on some ideas in case you see them useful:

- Add new option SIMBOL SHIFT + Z to uncached a folder
- When a snapshot is created, if ENTER is pressed without entering any name, the snapshot is created with the name SNAPnnnn.SNA, where nnnn is the next free number between 0000 and 9999.
- Add the options that Dr. Slump's browser has and that are not yet present in yours:
  • F Fast-ramp loader (On my distributions for ZX-Uno I use it to load instantly the ZX1PACK )
  • SS+F Set Fast-ramp
  • New file/directory name (rename)
  • Lock paging register ( Is it useful? )
sromero
Drutt

Post by sromero »

desUBIKado wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am I comment on some ideas in case you see them useful:

- Add new option SIMBOL SHIFT + Z to uncached a folder
Yes, I agree it would be nice. Or maybe use the same hotkey to cache/uncache ... Just adding a symbol on the screen to know if you're viewing a cached or an uncached folder. Maybe a "C" symbol in top-right of the screen would be nice. If the symbol is there, you know you're viewing a list of cached files and press SHIFT+Z to uncache it (just pressing it a second time to delete the cache file).
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

sromero wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:13 am
Download here.
Awesome update, POK files, SHIFT+F and folder caching! Thanks!
Well, I had a bit of spare time over Christmas. :)