Sabre Wulf standard case inlay

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Re: Sabre Wulf standard case inlay

Post by arkannoyed »

Better version here using the poster elements applied over a background to keep it looking cleaner.

and the PDF;

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6tvugwxotrqczo ... 2.pdf?dl=1

I now need to trace the mono SW logo on the cassette label, as its different to the cover logo. Then the label is done too.

WIP

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Would these type of digital preservations qualify as being suitable to put on the site at all?

If so, I can provide the full instructions I've already done some time ago for;

Alien 8
Knight Lore
Underwurlde
Bubbler

There are quite a few others that are in an incomplete state that I just need motivation, and time, to complete.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cheers. If these were uploaded to the site how would they be best described with a short comment underneath?

I'll have a crack with [mention]PeterJ[/mention], the 27Mb vector is probably too hefty to justifty IMO, but the others are good.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I think it would be best to disregard the full vectorised one, as that was really just an experiment. Clearly the one with the elements used from the poster is better, and allows the images to be compressed within the PDF, giving even the Hi-res one as only 3.5mb-ish.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

The Full sizes instructions are quite big too, but if I save them with slightly reduced quality image parts, then I should be able to bring them down to sensible levels.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Can I just check that these inlays are modern reproductions?

Also are they jewel-case inlays? It seems to me very likely the jewel cases in this thread are not authorised Ultimate releases.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

No, only this Sabre Wulf one earlier in this thread is the Jewel cased one.

Everything else is the real deal Ultimate Stuff.

These are traced over the hi-res scans creating a very precise text version using either Isbell or Benguiat fonts depending upon which game it is.

The Graphic aspects of the inlays or instruction booklets are then added in.

The tracing of the text is the time consuming part. If it were just the case that you could type the text straight in once you've decided upon the font point size, then it would be easy. Some of the characters use rather odd spacing and in some cases the individual letters need resizing to match the scans.

All of the scans suffer from some misalignment to a certain degree, which I can correct.

In the end I just end up with a nice clean looking version of the original, thats much easier to appreciate when viewed on a monitor etc.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Interestingly though, the Jewel cased inlays are virtually identical to the large format ones in terms of all of the text spacing etc, so I could quite easily re-create or indeed create any of the games in the same style.

I've got a WIP version of ATIC ATAC in the style of the Large format instructions a-la Sabr Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore etc.

Also Spectrumized versions of Staff of Karnath etc.