Keyboard or Joystick

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Keyboard or Joystick

Post by PeterJ »

I've only ever used the keyboard for playing Spectrum games, and I'm sure every mainstream released game (I'm sure someone will identify one that's not) was keyboard friendly. Compare this to the C64 where many games were joystick only. Much of this is of course due to the built-in ports on the C64.

I mention this as more and more of you seem to be setting up devices on your big screen TVs to play Spectrum games. When the boffins at Sony were developed 8K TVs little did they know that people would be using them to watch stuff at 256x192! I use a Logitech wireless keyboard for my controller.

What's your preferred control method for specific genre's when playing Spectrum games and has it changed over the years.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Keyboard or Joystick

Post by stupidget »

Mine has always been keyboard. Even when playing Daley Thompsons Decathlon I used the keyboard. When I upgraded to a +2 I tried using the grey, flimsy Sinclair joystick but quickly went straight back to using keys.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

As much as I believe the Quickshot II to be "The Best Thing Ever", I prefer playing most games on a keyboard :?
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Keyboard. Always.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Back in the day, after some moths of playing with the keyboard, I finally got a joystick, I wished it much but after some time I realized there was nothing like the keyboard.

Anyway, games with a lot of keys like Exploding Fist were my faves to use with a joystick.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Keyboard for the majority of games. Joystick only for a select group of games (Flying Shark in particular comes to mind).

That said, I never got used to QAOP; always used the Interface II layout: 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0. Still prefer these keys for many modern games on modern computers (although, I rarely play nowadays).
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

We never had a joystick so always used the keyboard, usually 5678 and 0.

There are extra benefits to using the keyboard when it comes to some games: being able to accelerate and do a wheelie in Enduro Racer, and being able to press left and right together in the skeet shooting section of Hyper Sports makes it a great deal easier.

These days I sometimes use a joystick for Match Day and the like.
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

I had a TC2048 and the most comfortable keyboard layout was Q A O P Space ;)
Still use those keys for many PC games!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

It very much depended on the game, but some were (are) definitely easier for me when using a joystick.

It also depends on which model you are used to. Our ZX Spectrum was a rubber key 48K. Started out with just the computer and tape deck, so had to use just the keys. Later on, got an Interface 2 and joystick. Soon found out that cheap joysticks did not last very long!

Then got a dk’tronics keyboard. Much better for typing in programs and text, but a very different feel when trying to play games.

Now the machine that I normally use is a ZX Spectrum+ and the feel of the keyboard is different again.

Whereas I still find it easier to play with a joystick (where a game is suitable for one).

But then, I’m a bit of a rubbish game player anyway...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:57 am But then, I’m a bit of a rubbish game player anyway...
Not as rubbish as me :(
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

When I first had a ZX I couldn't actually afford a joystick. Keyboard was just fine anyway. Sometimes I think it's actually much better as a control method, depending on a game though. When I moved to C64/Amiga latter I did miss "redefine keyboard" a lot.

These days my favourite controller for retro games is the analog stick of my PS Dualshock. Keyboard, pad, joystick - it beats them all.

For my real micros I actually use a Quickshot gamepad. Have a few joysticks also, but they're usually a second choice - too loud and cumbersome. I think a silent Sanwa based arcade stick could change that. They're awesome...but also a bit pricey.