Marsmare Alienation Extended Edition's Kickstarter

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Marsmare Alienation Extended Edition's Kickstarter

Post by Audionautas »

For ZX Spectrum 128K, ZX Spectrum Next and PC.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dr ... alienation
clebin
Manic Miner

Re: Marsmare Alienation Extended Edition's Kickstarter

Post by clebin »

Great stuff! I thought Marsmare was ace. I can see the Delta's Shadow connection in the Next graphics, which I'm all for. Modernised but recognisably Speccy. Definite backer here!
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

clebin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:44 am Great stuff! I thought Marsmare was ace. I can see the Delta's Shadow connection in the Next graphics, which I'm all for. Modernised but recognisably Speccy. Definite backer here!
I love this game too, but in my opinion, this physical edition is too expensive. 16 euros for just a single jewel cassette for the ZX Spectrum 128K without extras plus 12 euros for shipping to Spain is too much. This edition pales in comparison to what Zosya is selling right now through their website. You can purchase Valley of Rains, Drift!, Bonnie & Clyde or Just a Gal for basically the same price as Marsmare Alienation, but they are presented in a solid cardboard box, including the jewel cassette (with its own booklet), audio CD with the soundtrack, data CD, poster and a very detailed and extended instructions' booklet.

I think I won't back this Kickstarter, I'm pretty sure sooner or later other/s homebrew publishers will release their own and probably cheaper and much better presented editions.

Best regards
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Hmm, it does get expensive with shipping. I'm fine with €16 for the cassette. Bumfun charge £15 for chrome cassettes, and plenty of boxed games with extras sell for £25-35. I think the Zosya stuff is more unusual.

If I don't go for the full package, I'll at least pledge for the digital download.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Even Zosya stuff costs £25 to my door - as much as I like to contribute, that's a £5 more than I'm comfortable with :?
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Nitrowing wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:29 pm Even Zosya stuff costs £25 to my door - as much as I like to contribute, that's a £5 more than I'm comfortable with :?
Yes, it isn't cheap for sure, but a big part of that price are shipping costs. 15 pounds or 17 euros for a cardboard box edition of Valley of Rains or Drift! is great. A few years ago I paid 40 euros for the The Sword of Ianna by Retroworks on Dandanator and recently 43 euros for the amazing Play on Retro's Aliens Neoplasma deluxe edition, also on Dandanator (in both cases not including shipping costs). But in Marsmare Alienation's case I'm not comfortable at all paying 28 euros for a simple single jewel cassette edition.

Best regards
Last edited by Audionautas on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Audionautas wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:55 pm A few years ago I paid 40 euros for the The Sword of Ianna by Retroworks on Dandanator
That looks like a decent investment... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-ZX- ... Sw629f6xqH :o
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

clebin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:10 pm
Audionautas wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:55 pm A few years ago I paid 40 euros for the The Sword of Ianna by Retroworks on Dandanator
That looks like a decent investment... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-ZX- ... Sw629f6xqH :o
Wow!!! Sure it is. Due to the pandemic Retroworks is not selling games through their website, but one year ago (just before closing sales), there were a lot of copies left of the The Sword of Ianna's second run at 40 euros.

Best regards
Last edited by Audionautas on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

clebin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm Hmm, it does get expensive with shipping. I'm fine with €16 for the cassette. Bumfun charge £15 for chrome cassettes, and plenty of boxed games with extras sell for £25-35. I think the Zosya stuff is more unusual.

If I don't go for the full package, I'll at least pledge for the digital download.
Perhaps I'm too used to shopping games at Matra for just 8,75 euros on great single jewel cassette editions, but they also release some of them on deluxe editions for 22-25 euros. Sorry about Bumfun, but I'm not exactly a fan of his anodyne and expensive single jewel cassette editions.

Best regards
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Audionautas wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 pm Perhaps I'm too used to shopping games at Matra for just 8,75 euros on great single jewel cassette editions, but they also release some of them on deluxe editions for 22-25 euros. Sorry about Bumfun, but I'm not exactly a fan of his anodyne and expensive single jewel cassette editions.
The Matra artwork is definitely nicer in general. A lot of the Bumfun boxes are quite stock photography-like, and the chunky font doesn't suit the style of game. Some are better than others though and I do like the white Castlevania: Spectral Interlude case I got from them. Unfortunately shipping from both places is expensive coming to the UK.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

clebin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:57 pm
Audionautas wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:35 pm Perhaps I'm too used to shopping games at Matra for just 8,75 euros on great single jewel cassette editions, but they also release some of them on deluxe editions for 22-25 euros. Sorry about Bumfun, but I'm not exactly a fan of his anodyne and expensive single jewel cassette editions.
The Matra artwork is definitely nicer in general. A lot of the Bumfun boxes are quite stock photography-like, and the chunky font doesn't suit the style of game. Some are better than others though and I do like the white Castlevania: Spectral Interlude case I got from them. Unfortunately shipping from both places is expensive coming to the UK.
Yes it's not cheap on both sites, sadly. You have described my feelings exactly about Bum Fun's editions: stock photography and chunky font (and always the same boring font in 90% of their releases). Sincerely, I can't see passion behind these editions, just stardardization and routine. But it's true that some editions are way better, especially Mighty Final Fight and Castlevania: Spectral Interlude. That's the way to go.

Best regards