The Dark: Lost Pages

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

The Dark: Lost Pages

Post by Andre Leao »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The Dark: Lost Pages

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

It remids me of Tir Na Nog, the way the character walks through the paths. Nice game.

And the volume control directly from the game itself... it's the first time I've seen that, any other game using it?
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:46 am It remids me of Tir Na Nog, the way the character walks through the paths. Nice game.

And the volume control directly from the game itself... it's the first time I've seen that, any other game using it?
Yep, I even refered Neadeital :)
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:46 am It remids me of Tir Na Nog, the way the character walks through the paths. Nice game.

That's just the prologue of the game. Very much like a blend of Tir Na Nog or Neadeital and Valley of Rains in the graphics' department. According to Natasha Zotova of Zosya, once this maze is explored and completed, the game becomes a FPS with 9 huge levels, even larger than the ones on The Dark Redux. Sincerely, I can't believe all this fits in one load in 48K and 128K.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Neat as it looks, I hate the games like this where the directions keep getting turned around all the time. They just don't work.
Why can't we just have East-West walkways, and when you go North or South there's no long street, you just move up or down to the next parallel East-West path?

If you have to move in four directions then scroll the screen in four directions.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Joefish wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:54 pm Neat as it looks, I hate the games like this where the directions keep getting turned around all the time. They just don't work.
Why can't we just have East-West walkways, and when you go North or South there's no long street, you just move up or down to the next parallel East-West path?

If you have to move in four directions then scroll the screen in four directions.
This is what Natasha Zotova commented on Facebook: "The labyrinth in The Dark: Lost Pages — Prologue is huge, and you need to find and use some items to explore it completely. Definitely, you'll need a paper and pen". She also answered my comment on DVDFeverGames Youtube channel adding some tips: "You'll definitely need paper and a pen. The whole point of the game is to explore the area. The labyrinth is huge, and parts of it open when certain items are found and used. In addition, there are some tactics to move - you need to stop more often in order to always be ready for the appearance of enemies. Thus, you can play almost without losing energy".
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

Sounds damn well!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:21 pm According to Natasha Zotova of Zosya, once this maze is explored and completed, the game becomes a FPS with 9 huge levels, even larger than the ones on The Dark Redux. Sincerely, I can't believe all this fits in one load in 48K and 128K.
Yep, those two so different styles make it an impressive game, at least technically speaking.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:22 am
Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:21 pm According to Natasha Zotova of Zosya, once this maze is explored and completed, the game becomes a FPS with 9 huge levels, even larger than the ones on The Dark Redux. Sincerely, I can't believe all this fits in one load in 48K and 128K.
Yep, those two so different styles make it an impressive game, at least technically speaking.
The game is huge. Just started playing it yesterday and found the key to open the gate, 4 maps and one cross. But I have to map the whole world, or I won't go far...
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:21 pm That's just the prologue of the game. Very much like a blend of Tir Na Nog or Neadeital and Valley of Rains in the graphics' department. According to Natasha Zotova of Zosya, once this maze is explored and completed, the game becomes a FPS with 9 huge levels, even larger than the ones on The Dark Redux. Sincerely, I can't believe all this fits in one load in 48K and 128K.
Might be the case that on 128k there are extra enemies? I don't see this one playing on 48k, but in 128k they popup at the start of the level.

clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Nice artwork but I didn't enjoy this as much as Zosya's other recent games I'm afraid. I guess it's different if you like mapping things out, but I don't and I can never get my head around games with changing directions like Dun Darach. Even Andy Capp is beyond me! So I just wandered around lost without anything to do until I gave up.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

clebin wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:41 pm Nice artwork but I didn't enjoy this as much as Zosya's other recent games I'm afraid. I guess it's different if you like mapping things out, but I don't and I can never get my head around games with changing directions like Dun Darach. Even Andy Capp is beyond me! So I just wandered around lost without anything to do until I gave up.
When were kids with a lot of free time to play games, we had time to make maps, play some games for weeks and so on. Sadly, that's not my case nowadays and I've become more like a casual gamer playing games easy to get into and rewarding (arcade, puzzle games). This kind of maze adventure games are way beyond my current interests in gaming. Anyway, I really applaud this kind of game exists in this day and age in the Spectrum's life, of course. I guess it will have its fans, but I'm not among them.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

The irony is, the more technically complex FPS game that it turns into - comes with a map!
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Joefish wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:18 pm The irony is, the more technically complex FPS game that it turns into - comes with a map!
Hope they amend that for the cassette edition (they have done some improvements on Drift! and Just a Gal, for instance, for their physical editions), and also put a key for map in the prologue of the game.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Mapping games can be fun. I'm glad that some devs still choose different design styles, not just the usual tropes. That has always been Spectrum's strongest point after all.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It's a great looking, impressive game and once again I'm full of respect for Zosya and Oleg Origin (???).

But it certainly requires lots of mapping and patience. Without it you aren't going to get anywhere.
Seems easier than Tir Na Nog / Dun Darach stuff but still... ;)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Also found a rope...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

At last completed the prologue. Wonderful game... :)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Game completed, it´s brilliant. Tomorrow will release the full review...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

And the full review, including some tips (but no spoilers)...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... pages.html