Little bugs in the database 4

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Re: Little bugs in the database 4

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:00 pm
StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 pm Already listed on the "derived from" and "origin of" fields.
Good point. But I think it's worth it to add a note that it was renamed for copyright reasons
There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:07 pm
StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 pm All the downloads are from the Currys re-release in late 1986.
If that is the case the case then the release year for the Curry's re-release is wrong as it shows 1984.

The release year for all of the Curry's re-releases is wrong. They were all released in 1986 and bundled with the new +2.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:11 pm There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.
Super Brat this Tennis game was originally released as Wimbledon Challenge and sold in the souvenir shop during Wimbledon fortnight. It was then renamed in recognition of the American tennis star John McEnroe nicknamed "Superbrat", referring to McEnroe's verbal and physical actions in anger when a line call went against him.

Via Moby Games - No assumptions made as to the accuracy big this. Provided for information only.

Good job Radek unwittingly found the Curry's issue too. Especially as it has not been highlighted previously here.

Reading StooB's signature, maybe Einar should be the Bastion of all things ZXDB :D No need for anyone to hide their light under a bushel.
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:11 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:00 pm Good point. But I think it's worth it to add a note that it was renamed for copyright reasons
There doesn't seem to be any evidence of that.
"Wimbledon" is a registered trademark. The evidence is here:

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/about_w ... ivacy.html

Clearly an independent author self-publishing his first game wouldn't be able to acquire an official license. Afterwards a publishing label wouldn't risk using a trademarked name without having the proper license, but they wouldn't miss the opportunity to use this name if they had the proper rights.

PS: Perhaps you would feel better about it if the note explicitly said something like "renamed to avoid using a trademarked name"?
Last edited by Einar Saukas on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention],

Assuming the information from Moby games is correct and the game was sold in the souvenir shop during Wimbledon fortnight, then the author would have had to have had permission.

I'm guessing that Atlantis didn't have permission. I've nothing to back that up of course.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:51 pm Clearly an independent author self-publishing his first game wouldn't be able to acquire an official license. Afterwards a publishing label wouldn't risk using a trademarked name without having the proper license, but they wouldn't miss the opportunity to use this name if they had the proper rights.
Atlantis Software also released Connect 4 in 1985 and that's a trademark too!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pmAssuming the information from Moby games is correct and the game was sold in the souvenir shop during Wimbledon fortnight, then the author would have had to have had permission.
Good point. I didn't know about the souvenir shop (I never saw the game page at Mobygames before). Thanks you both for correcting me!

PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm I'm guessing that Atlantis didn't have permission. I've nothing to back that up of course.
Even so, the publisher would have to be insane if they had the rights to call it "Wimbledon" but decided not to use it! Therefore my suggestion still applies.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:06 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:51 pm Clearly an independent author self-publishing his first game wouldn't be able to acquire an official license. Afterwards a publishing label wouldn't risk using a trademarked name without having the proper license, but they wouldn't miss the opportunity to use this name if they had the proper rights.
Atlantis Software also released Connect 4 in 1985 and that's a trademark too!
There doesn't seem to be any evidence that "Connect 4" was a trademarked name :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 pm There doesn't seem to be any evidence that "Connect 4" was a trademarked name :)

https://www.atmedia.net/TWWWEP/noconnec ... o%2C%20Inc.

No idea if that was the case in the 80s though.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 pm There doesn't seem to be any evidence that "Connect 4" was a trademarked name :)

I could only find fairly recent trademarks for the name "Connect 4".
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 pm
PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm

I could only find fairly recent trademarks for the name "Connect 4".
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:08 pm Even so, the publisher would have to be insane if they had the rights to call it "Wimbledon" but decided not to use it! Therefore my suggestion still applies.
Not in the context of 1985 though, as far as I can tell there were no licensed sport event tie-ins until the 1986 World Cup. There were plenty of Olympic themed games in 1984 but none were official.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:48 pm Not in the context of 1985 though, as far as I can tell there were no licensed sport event tie-ins until the 1986 World Cup.
Depends on if you class the Grand National as a licensed sport event?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... d_National

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:48 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:08 pm Even so, the publisher would have to be insane if they had the rights to call it "Wimbledon" but decided not to use it! Therefore my suggestion still applies.
Not in the context of 1985 though, as far as I can tell there were no licensed sport event tie-ins until the 1986 World Cup.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Anyway is there any real difference between "Wimbledon" and "Super Brat" besides the title on screen? Otherwise I suggest to merge both entries and add this note:

This game was originally titled "Wimbledon Challenge" and sold by the author in the souvenir shop during Wimbledon fortnight. It was later renamed by other publishers (presumably due to concerns about using a trademarked name) to "Super Brat", a humorous reference to tennis player John McEnroe and his anger reactions against referee rulings.

This way we summarize all this information we raised here, also we make it clear we are only making assumptions about the reason they renamed it.

Does everybody agree?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I've lost the will to live [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] :D

I'm fine with it. As you say it's all assumptions anyway.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:41 pm I've lost the will to live @Einar Saukas :D
I'm missing your point?!!

I recognize I was wrong in some of my assumptions (I stand corrected!), also I hope I didn't sound too harsh in my arguments, it was not my intent.

Regardless of this, I think my last post summarizes everyone's feedback on this subject, and this discussion resulted in a better note than I originally proposed. Therefore it was a productive conversation! Thanks everyone for their input here!
Last edited by Einar Saukas on Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Sorry, [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention]. I was just being humourous about the amount of time we spent on it. I'm agreeing with you completely. Please don't read anything else into my comments!

No offense taken, and no offense meant.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm
Assuming the information from Moby games is correct and the game was sold in the souvenir shop during Wimbledon fortnight, then the author would have had to have had permission.
Looking at the history of the Mobygames entry, this information added by a "Tim Adcock", presumably the same person as TJ Adcock, the author of the game.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:19 pm
PeterJ wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm
Looking at the history of the Mobygames entry, this information added by a "Tim Adcock", presumably the same person as TJ Adcock, the author of the game.
That's amazing detective work!

Too bad it doesn't seem there's a way to contact him. I wonder if he's really the author or he's a relative?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

ZX Trek

The TZX is incorrectly marked as 1982 rather than 1983.
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Journey's End

The TZX is wrong named as 'JourneysEnd(Mastervision).tzx.zip', when it should be Mastertronic.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Lode Runner

The first two TZX files need English added against them
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

The DroSoft re-release of Super Trolley contains 128K Music.

There is a preserved original release version here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The Mastertronic re-release version should be marked as featuring Multi Machine Medium
✓ Reviewed