Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by bob_fossil »

akeley wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:21 pm Hi, @bob_fossil , glad you are still working on this amazing browser :)

May I suggest, for the clarity, that you change the name of this thread to indicate that it actually works on all the esxDOS devices, not just Uno? Another thing, I think it'd be good idea to update your first post with its current feature set.

The reason I say that is because I try to recommend it to people outside this forum and I know a few were confused ("but it's only for Uno"...etc) or unaware of its full capabilities.
Maybe the title can be changed to 'New File Browser for ZX-UNO and esxDOS compatible devices' if that isn't too long winded? Hopefully this won't get me kicked out of my new home in the FPGA sub section as I suspect most users aren't running it on a ZX-UNO. :)

I can't change the first post and I don't want to be hassling someone to update it for me every time I do a new release. The link in the first post will always get you the latest version which has the manual and a change log listing all the current features and changes.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm I can't change the first post and I don't want to be hassling someone to update it for me every time I do a new release. The link in the first post will always get you the latest version which has the manual and a change log listing all the current features and changes.
I know, but readme is buried in the zip, which comes after the download.... . Honestly, you'd be surprised how many I still see on other formus posting stuff like: "I wish long names were possible in esxDOS", and not even aware there's a browser which already does that, plus a heap of other amazing things.

I guess one update of that ancient first post would be enough, if it highlighted all the main features as of now. I'm sure [mention]PeterJ[/mention] or [mention]R-Tape[/mention] can help with that, and title change. I'd just go with New File Broser for esxDOS/ZX Uno, since majority of people probably use it with esx. I guess the old subforum was also a better place because of that, the recent move might confuse some people...

Anyway, these are just my suggestions, since I love your browser and wish it was even more popular :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yep [mention]bob_fossil[/mention], if you want anything changing send a PM to me and Peter.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

you cannot grasp the immensity

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:05 pm v0.15
Thanks for the new versions and bug fixes.
But I am facing a global problem.
With the new kernel for ZX Uno, no version works for me. I spent a few hours yesterday, tried all versions,
well, very old ones, for example 0.4 launched via the dot command .browse are still trying to work, but no more, just trying. all the others either hang, or do not start, or do whatever :) I rewrote the SD card 150 times yesterday :(
Here is a screenshot of the latest version and it is via dot command
And this despite the fact that the original browser in 0.8.8 and 0.8.7 works without problems.
What else can I check in this case?
Here again I rewrote the contents of the SD card to the original 0.8.7. It's okay.
The FAT32 file system, if that
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

I'm having the same as azesmbog in an RVM Uno VM but I thought it was because of the emulator (which could still be the case, of course).

Not expecting you Bob to chase emulator compatibility, just thought that it doing the same as on azesmbog's HW might indicate a generic issue.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

[mention]azesmbog[/mention] don't torture yourself and use my Halloween distribution for the ZX-Uno.

https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4103

I just released the third DLC to update Bob Fossil's browser to version 0.15 version, and I also include .POK files for over 3,500 games.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

desUBIKado wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 am don't torture yourself and use my Halloween distribution for the ZX-Uno.
Does your build work correctly with the latest core from Uto?
I seem to be very tongue-tied, but I will formulate the question again:
What could be in the code of the program itself or in the core of Uno that the original browser works easily and naturally, and this one refuses to work at all?
I would like to understand.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: you cannot grasp the immensity

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:54 am
bob_fossil wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:05 pm v0.15
Thanks for the new versions and bug fixes.
But I am facing a global problem.
With the new kernel for ZX Uno, no version works for me. I spent a few hours yesterday, tried all versions,
well, very old ones, for example 0.4 launched via the dot command .browse are still trying to work, but no more, just trying. all the others either hang, or do not start, or do whatever :) I rewrote the SD card 150 times yesterday :(
Here is a screenshot of the latest version and it is via dot command
And this despite the fact that the original browser in 0.8.8 and 0.8.7 works without problems.
What else can I check in this case?
Here again I rewrote the contents of the SD card to the original 0.8.7. It's okay.
The FAT32 file system, if that
Just to confirm, we're talking about this firmware?

Does .dskprobe command work correctly - e.g. can you view the MSDOS boot sector? Browser uses low level disk access calls in the esxDOS API to handle long filenames so saying the original browser works fine isn't helpful as it's using the esxDOS file API. The only other thing that could be causing issues is the code to check for the ZX-UNO. I don't think that was in v0.4.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

azesmbog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:51 am Does your build work correctly with the latest core from Uto?
It does work, although I have found a number of small bugs that have nothing to do with the distribution.

https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 350#p28350
azesmbog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:51 am I seem to be very tongue-tied, but I will formulate the question again:
What could be in the code of the program itself or in the core of Uno that the original browser works easily and naturally, and this one refuses to work at all?
I would like to understand.
Bob Fossil's browser has always worked fine for me. I only had one problem in my DUAL distribution (+ 3DOS and FAT16) and Bob already gave me the solution very kindly: viewtopic.php?p=55177#p55177
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:14 am
Does .dskprobe command work correctly - e.g. can you view the MSDOS boot sector?
if EsxDos works for me in standard mode - I think the sectors are being read correctly ??
And yes, I checked it on several sd cards - .dskprobe works fine. I hope you don't need a screenshot?
All. My thoughts ran out, my hands dropped, I am in sorrow. Crying. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

azesmbog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:46 pm
Does .dskprobe command work correctly - e.g. can you view the MSDOS boot sector?
if EsxDos works for me in standard mode - I think the sectors are being read correctly ??
And yes, I checked it on several sd cards - .dskprobe works fine. I hope you don't need a screenshot?
All. My thoughts ran out, my hands dropped, I am in sorrow. Crying. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Doesn't it make sense to go back to a working system ?
And not changing software to work around bugs.

-----------------------------------------------------
Ouch, a login can hardly be made here :shock: :shock: :shock:
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Spezzi63 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 pm Doesn't it make sense to go back to a working system ?
In this case, the "working system" is the original files EsxDos 0.8.8
after adding browser files - the system ceases to be working. Absolutely.
But if you only add the BIN directory - (without SYS) - then the system is still working.
Run the dot command .browse
Here is a screenshot from the emulator - completely identical to mine from the FPGA core

What conclusion can be drawn from this ??
I would say - the "core" has nothing to do with it.
Remaining SD card? Oh well. I've tried 4 or 5 cards
1 GB, 16 GB, 8 GB, a separate 4GB partition for an 8 GB card (also possible? Why not?)
This disk image is just that, and the original 0.8.8 runs in the emulator without any problems. Does the file system format suit? But it can be seen that he does not suit this browser.
I do not explain very clearly ??
I attach the file with the disk image. Suddenly something will help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_lrno9 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by azesmbog on Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

desUBIKado wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 am @azesmbog don't torture yourself and use my Halloween distribution for the ZX-Uno.

https://www.zxuno.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4103

I just released the third DLC to update Bob Fossil's browser to version 0.15 version, and I also include .POK files for over 3,500 games.
Just tried, great job indeed. :)
Thanks.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

azesmbog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:46 pm
Dry your eyes. :) It's a bug in the FAT handling code. It should be fixed in the next test version.
emuola
Drutt

Post by emuola »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 pm
emuola wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:30 pm Works like a charm with ZX with 128k mod and DivMMC Enjoy Pro. Thank you for the LFN support, life's good :) I do have one wish though... Could the saved snapshot file (pressing "S") be created inside a folder named after the game in question? Currently they are indexed with number so they're pretty hard to distinguish from eachother. Or then just name it appending it with the game name somehow, now as the LFN support works :)
The browser asks you for the filename (8 characters max) when you save the snapshot, so it's up to you to give it a distinguishable name. :) Long filename support is read only. Any files created by the browser will be restricted to 8.3 filenames..
Oh, I somehow missed that completely :) Thank you!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Some shameless self promotion on my part. :)

[media]https://youtu.be/vlvQ85_eCyU [/media]
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

What?!?!? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
You did it! YEAH! I can't tell you what joy I'm feeling to see my .mym files on your screen being played! :D :D :D
That's absolutely fantastic, Bob 8-)

I can't wait to -play- around with it ;) :D
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

Symbol Shift + V will now view the selected file as text - text files can also be opened with the TXT plugin. You can now view hires C64 Art Studio and Interpaint files with the ART and IPH plugins (needs ULAPlus for correct colours) as well as listening to packed YM/PSG audio files with the MYM plugin.

The browser will now disable ULAPlus colours on entry and restore them on exit. A bug in the FAT code accessing the root cluster was also fxied. The 8 POKE limit has been removed from the POKE command.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Fantastic work, Bob! :D

Been listening to my collection of mym-s so easily now :D

At what address is the player-code loaded? The ones over 24k display "Out of memory".

Another observation: when playing a mym and pressing the down-arrow, it stops playing but jumps to the last entry in that folder, as if I've pressed the right-arrow, etc. When pressing right-or left-arrow, it plays the next/previous tune. It seems like the Up-Down & Left-Right keys are switched around.

To all: I'll try to compile a file with good mym files for all of your listening pleasure in the following days.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:52 pm To all: I'll try to compile a file with good mym files for all of your listening pleasure in the following days.
Thanks for this.
I just wanted to ask, where can be found a collection of these mym/psg/ym files... :)
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:44 pm Thanks for this.
I just wanted to ask, where can be found a collection of these mym/psg/ym files... :)
It isn't likely you'll find a collection of ready-to-play mym files. I've created a workflow with tools to convert them from ym files I gathered from several places.
But everything needs explaining. I'm busy writing an article with the history and which tools can be used and how to use them.

To get people started listening, I'll post some really good ones soon.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

As promised, here's the first compilation of mym files. They are files converted from YM files with tunes from the CPC and Atari ST.
I like a lot of them but was especially impressed with those of Count0 from the ST.

Let this be a first taster of what is possible and the start of your journey exploring music from other platforms, right on your Spectrum :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy2q95zq5uxgb ... 1.zip?dl=0

Note: looks like dropbox changed some things and the Download function is buried in the dot-menu at the right of the page.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:52 pm Fantastic work, Bob! :D

Been listening to my collection of mym-s so easily now :D

At what address is the player-code loaded? The ones over 24k display "Out of memory".

Another observation: when playing a mym and pressing the down-arrow, it stops playing but jumps to the last entry in that folder, as if I've pressed the right-arrow, etc. When pressing right-or left-arrow, it plays the next/previous tune. It seems like the Up-Down & Left-Right keys are switched around.
From plugins/plugins_info.txt:

Code: Select all

MYM
---

Plays a MYM packed YM/PSG audio file. File must be less then 25614 bytes in length. Plugin supports the following keys:

Browser Left: Play next file
Browser Right: Play previous file
Browser Up: Play first file
Browser Down: Play last file
Break: Stop playback

In general, left and right cursors move you previous / next file and up / down takes you to the first / last file. This evolved from the the SCR plugin as this was the first to support file navigation and all the other plugins adopted this convention.

Plugins are loaded to address 32768. I tried to move the fragment buffer in the MYM code but this didn't end well and stopped the music playing properly. I think the code assumes the song data follows the fragment buffer.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Might it be more intuitive for the plugin keys to follow the browser keys for file navigation?

Although I know a bit of assembly, the player code is too complicated for me to completely understand.
As far as I understood (which could be incorrect) from the mym player's source it can either be located at 24576 or 32768? Are you managing to load it somewhere else?
And the topmost usable RAM is 65021 because of how IM2 is setup?
How much does the plugin use?

If possible, to be able to load as large as possible tunes, it would be nice to have as much mem free as possible for them.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:49 pm
Although I know a bit of assembly, the player code is too complicated for me to completely understand.
As far as I understood (which could be incorrect) from the mym player's source it can either be located at 24576 or 32768? Are you managing to load it somewhere else?
And the topmost usable RAM is 65021 because of how IM2 is setup?
How much does the plugin use?

If possible, to be able to load as large as possible tunes, it would be nice to have as much mem free as possible for them.
The code can be put at 24576, however the browser plugin system puts code at 32768. It was easier to have the code at 32768 and get the plugin working that way. It may be possible in the future to relocate the player to just before the IM2 table but this makes the plugin code more complicated to develop. For the time being you'll just have to accept the size limitations.