Mr Do coming soon to Spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Mr Do coming soon to Spectrum

Post by Ralf »

Looks like we are going to have a Mr Do conversion very soon on our Spectrums

http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/mr-do ... ian-singh/

I remember that in the past many people wished to have it on Speccy so now the wishes come true :) And Mark Jones working on the project is the sign that it has a big chance to be great quality.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Mr Do coming soon to Spectrum

Post by Einar Saukas »

ewgf will be delighted!

Does anybody have news from him? I miss his posts. It's a shame if he decided to stop posting because of "latest developments", when he could have simply moved to this forum.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I didn't remember that he was a fan of Mr Do.

Anyway, ewgf, if you are reading us, join Spectrum Computing! It's a different spirit here.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yes, the spirit of Martjin Wos is here on this forum, but I think you're wasting your time.
Chit chat champions, along with the advanced Roger Jowett simulator v2.0 are now the rulers of wos.
I know that I am here in a good company, and probably they think the same.
Everyone got what he wanted and I like it that way...
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

This port of Mr Do looks fantastic and I am still holding out for a Mr Do Castle port :D

Bring it on
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Interesting! I remember Adrian Singh asking lots of questions about 128K paging etc.

Looking forward to this, the pressure is on as there will be comparisons with Bob Smith's Farmer Jack series...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I only played it on MAME, and it's a very great arcade. It was incomprehensible there was no Spectrum version back in the day.

Looks promising.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Mr. Do was never something that appealed to me .. but I know that it was never released on the Spectrum - and that it was wanted - so hopefully Adrian & Mark will bring us a good version of it. Mark is certainly good ... and hopefully Adrian will deliver too. But I'm sure he will :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

This looks amazing!
Morcar wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:53 pm ...I am still holding out for a Mr Do Castle port :D
I second that! It's the better game in my book. It had an excellent port on the c64.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It looks that the game will have some colour clash - sprites vs background edges. I wonder if it will be bad enough to spoil your fun a bit or completely unnoticable.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Colour clash in these pictures seem to work just fine. As if the player's lamp is casting a bright light at the dark tunnel walls nearby...
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

This is one of my all-time favourite arcade games! I wanted a Speccy conversion so much back in the day but alas it was never to be. And yet somehow, here it is - 36 years late, granted, but better late than never. :)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Will be interested to try this when it's done.

I guess it would have been pretty much impossible to avoid colour clash on this port, as long as it plays nicely I'll be happy.. :)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Adrian_Singh
Drutt

Post by Adrian_Singh »

Just to update this thread...

After many many hard spent hours it's finally completed and available to download from here https://t.co/82KLCDSsOZ

Note it's primarily for the 128K Spectrum but will play on the 48K (but with a much more muted experience!)

It's been one hell of a steep learning curve going from simply making pokes all those years ago to writing an actual full game. I have a lot of respect for anyone who undertakes such a task on the humble ZX Spectrum!

Hunting down and fixing bugs in Z80 code is painful and I have to thank Mark Woodmass ([mention]Woodster[/mention]) for his excellent SpecEmu which I used all the way through development.

A special thanks to Mark R. Jones my old school friend for all of the encouragement and the wonderful graphics he provided taking great care over every pixel!
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Remarkable achievement. Well done! Can’t wait to play this later.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Adrian_Singh wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 am Just to update this thread...
This looks great! I gave it a quick go (and learned that I was miserable at it). Will test it properly later.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I can say with absolute authority that this is a very faithful recreation of the arcade Mr Do... in that I'm still bloody hopeless and can't get off the second level.

Well done Adrian. Northants represent!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeteProdge wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:50 am I can say with absolute authority that this is a very faithful recreation of the arcade Mr Do... in that I'm still bloody hopeless and can't get off the second level.
I got to Level 3. Yay, me?
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Thanks a lot!

When I was maing this thread, maybe I shouldn't say "coming soon" ;) But it's great to see it finished
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Mark R. Jones has been publishing a lot of pics of the game these days on twitter.

Seems a very good conversion, in any way: graphics, fonts, ... great work. I'll try it later.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

A very good conversion of the historical arcade coin-op. Well done Mr Singh.

For the Spectrum, there had been an unofficial clone available for years, but this is the first "real" rendition.
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

This is brilliant! Although obviously I died quickly just like in every other game!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Definitelly awesome port!
Animation and playbility are really great.
The occasional colour clash seemed inevitable, I wonder if this type of game might have been done in the Nirvana engine?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:06 pm Definitelly awesome port!
Animation and playbility are really great.
The occasional colour clash seemed inevitable, I wonder if this type of game might have been done in the Nirvana engine?
I had the exact same thought when I saw it, aren't Nirvana/Bifrost supposed to be used with static screen games? If so then great.

Not an expert on this so maybe someone else could chime in but I expect the size of the engine code itself could be a limiting factor..?