The Big 3 - Commando

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Morcar
Microbot

The Big 3 - Commando

Post by Morcar »

The big 3 (Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum) go head to head in a Commando shootout
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtzKIr ... e=youtu.be[/media]
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: The Big 3 - Commando

Post by Ralf »

Loooks like a great game on all platforms. With small different weaknesses on each of them.

CPC version as usually seems the slowest of them.

Spectrum version originally doesn't have music but there is a well known hack with added AY music.

I recall that original C64 version has less levels. But there is also a modern 2015 remake of Commando for C64:

[media]https://youtu.be/6gPNYKoBTVU[/media]
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

Yeah, I love the remix version although didn't want to include it in the video as I feel it might be a bit unfair to the other 2 versions.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Great video.

My opinion is the Spectrum version sacrified graphics for a better gameplay. The result is a classic.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

In there own way they are all good, I never saw the Amstrad version till today though.

Back in the day I was much more a fan of the Spectrum version. I remember at the time thinking whoever did the port really knew what he was doing. Looking back on it now its obvious the fella must have extensively tested the game. Just the way that its so responsive. What I liked about it was it was fast and you could see what was going on. One thing that used to really irritate me with the spectrum was you would get games that were just a mess and you had no idea what was happening when the action started.

I know some people say the spectrum version is boring but for me its the best of the bunch. Looking at the menu screen you can see that the programmer knew how to do impressive graphics and animations - so it could have easily been a hot mess of graphics if he had gone that route. For me its a great example of really good attention to detail and someone caring about the product. I figure whoever did it must have had a strong will to resist the pressure to make it more graphically dense to keep the action fast/playable.

Just to hammer home the fact..

one of the programmers on the team later went on to do this..

So for sure if they had wanted to go the dense graphics route they could have done.