Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by Pegaz »

Spezzi63 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:50 pm I need a little help.
What are the entries for Border 0: Paper 0: Ink 7
My question is the opposite, what should be done for Paper 7, Ink 0 ?
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

As I understand, a "color change" is only active in certain cases.
I'm doing it again via autoboot ;)

------------------------------------------
Addendum:
doesn't work like that either :(
-------------------------------------------

Another little problem:
In No_MMC_Memory, the help pages are named BRWSHELP1.SCR etc.
But for me it only loads with the name BRWSHLP1.SCR etc.
Am I doing something wrong?
Best wishes
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Spezzi63 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm As I understand, a "color change" is only active in certain cases.
I'm doing it again via autoboot ;)

------------------------------------------
Addendum:
doesn't work like that either :(
-------------------------------------------

Another little problem:
Best wishes
Same thing, I tried but failed to change the default color scheme.
If I understood correctly, esxdos author is a member here, maybe he could give us a few tips.
I also have that issue with the default NMI browser, because I can't go back to the LFN browser with the J key, as before.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Spezzi63 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm Another little problem:
Best wishes
No, you're not doing anything wrong. I added different help screens for the No_MMC_Memory version as the functionality is different but there was a typo in the batch file that packages the files up when I do a release. They should be BRWSHLP not BRWSHELP. It will be fixed in the next release which I'm hoping will be the release version.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 pm I also have that issue with the default NMI browser, because I can't go back to the LFN browser with the J key, as before.
Works for me here with "Caps + N".

From "changelog.txt" of "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS":
Shift + N will now restart the NMI with the file SYS/NMI.ORG. So if you copied the esxdos NMI.SYS to this path, Shift + N would restart the NMI using the default esxdos NMI. To restore the browse NMI, either run the supplied .dot command NMIINIT or hard reset / power cycle your machine.
So I assume you mistake the Key with the one from "Dr. Slumps NMI navigator"
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Luzie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:34 pm
Pegaz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:53 pm I also have that issue with the default NMI browser, because I can't go back to the LFN browser with the J key, as before.
Works for me here with "Caps + N".

From "changelog.txt" of "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS":
Shift + N will now restart the NMI with the file SYS/NMI.ORG. So if you copied the esxdos NMI.SYS to this path, Shift + N would restart the NMI using the default esxdos NMI. To restore the browse NMI, either run the supplied .dot command NMIINIT or hard reset / power cycle your machine.
So I assume you mistake the Key with the one from "Dr. Slumps NMI navigator"
Well, maybe I mixed something up, but it seems to me that before, I could go to Dr. Slump NMI navigator with Shift + N, and then go back to the LFN browser with J.
What is the purpose of the J key in Dr.Slump browser, anyway?
btw, do you have any idea how to get the default Spectrum color scheme in the latest esxdos, after autostarting pzx and other files ?
Now, white INK and black PAPER is set as the default, and I want it to be inverted to INK 0, PAPER 7.
I can't find, what exactly should be done in the esxdos.cfg file ?
Everything was fine until v.0.8.9 and I really don't understand why fix it, if it already works.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm btw, do you have any idea how to get the default Spectrum color scheme in the latest esxdos, after autostarting pzx and other files ?
Now, white INK and black PAPER is set as the default, and I want it to be inverted to INK 0, PAPER 7.
I can't find, what exactly should be done in the esxdos.cfg file ?
Everything was fine until v.0.8.9 and I really don't understand why fix it, if it already works.
Maybe you're supposed to change the line

Code: Select all

AutoLoadColour=7
in /SYS/CONFIG/ESXDOS.CFG

to some other value?

As 7 is the attribute for PAPER 0: INK 7, I tried setting it to:

AutoLoadColour=56
as 56 is PAPER 7: INK 0 but the autostart colours are still white on black on my UNO. I don't understand why this was changed to this 'default' when the power on colours for all Spectrums (running factory ROMS) is black text on white, not the inverse.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm What is the purpose of the J key in Dr.Slump browser, anyway?
From "READ_NMI.txt" of "Dr. Slumps NMI.sys Beta v0017":
Functions keys are the following:
J loads old NMI navigator. Hard reset is necessary to return to new.
On esxDOS 0.8.9 you need to copy \SYS\nmi.sys (from esxDOS 0.8.9 and NOT from Bob Fossils "LFN Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS"!) to: \sys\nmi\old089.sys
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Luzie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm
Pegaz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm What is the purpose of the J key in Dr.Slump browser, anyway?
From "READ_NMI.txt" of "Dr. Slumps NMI.sys Beta v0017":
Functions keys are the following:
J loads old NMI navigator. Hard reset is necessary to return to new.
On esxDOS 0.8.9 you need to copy \SYS\nmi.sys (from esxDOS 0.8.9 and NOT from Bob Fossils "LFN Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS"!) to: \sys\nmi\old089.sys
Thanks Luzie, I will try this.
bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:33 pm
Maybe you're supposed to change the line

AutoLoadColour=7
in /SYS/CONFIG/ESXDOS.CFG

to some other value?

As 7 is the attribute for PAPER 0: INK 7, I tried setting it to:

AutoLoadColour=56
as 56 is PAPER 7: INK 0 but the autostart colours are still white on black on my UNO. I don't understand why this was changed to this 'default' when the power on colours for all Spectrums (running factory ROMS) is black text on white, not the inverse.
I don't know what the reasons are for changing the color scheme, but I wish at least that I could change it.
So far I have tried various combinations including your suggestion, looking for some additional documentation or instructions, how to configure esxdos.cfg, but without success...
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8eolAjnt5k[/media]

[mention]azesmbog[/mention] :)
SamC
Microbot

Post by SamC »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:33 pm
Pegaz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:57 pm btw, do you have any idea how to get the default Spectrum color scheme in the latest esxdos, after autostarting pzx and other files ?

AutoLoadColour=56
Hi, it does not seem to work on some(?) hardware.
Here is a bug description and solution, you need to patch a SYS file:
http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?id=1032

It will be fixed in a week or two.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Hi Bob,

Thanks once again for doing all this great work on the LFN browser. I downloaded the latest test version and everything seems to work flawlessly... except one minor issue with the TAP file for a particular game: Horace & the Spiders.

I'm using Retro Virtual Machine to test and using the tap file of Horace & the Spiders downloaded from SC. When I do a hard reset, the game loads fine, but only from a folder that is in the root directory. If I load it from a folder in a sub-directory, it loads but hangs after loading.

If I try to load H&TS for a second time from the working folder(in root dir), it loads, then resets the machine. If I load H&TS after loading any other game, it also crashes. Doing a soft reset in-between loading also causes the crash. The only way to load it 2 times in a row is to do a hard reset in-between.

I think this is very game-specific. I get a "C Nonsense in BASIC" error when loading the tap file using SpecEmu emulator, but with the "Flashload standard speed tape data" setting turned off.

Has anyone else tried loading this game from the browser and experiencing the same thing?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

cmal wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 pm Hi Bob,

Thanks once again for doing all this great work on the LFN browser. I downloaded the latest test version and everything seems to work flawlessly... except one minor issue with the TAP file for a particular game: Horace & the Spiders.

I'm using Retro Virtual Machine to test and using the tap file of Horace & the Spiders downloaded from SC. When I do a hard reset, the game loads fine, but only from a folder that is in the root directory. If I load it from a folder in a sub-directory, it loads but hangs after loading.

If I try to load H&TS for a second time from the working folder(in root dir), it loads, then resets the machine. If I load H&TS after loading any other game, it also crashes. Doing a soft reset in-between loading also causes the crash. The only way to load it 2 times in a row is to do a hard reset in-between.

I think this is very game-specific. I get a "C Nonsense in BASIC" error when loading the tap file using SpecEmu emulator, but with the "Flashload standard speed tape data" setting turned off.

Has anyone else tried loading this game from the browser and experiencing the same thing?
The .tap file looks suspicious - Fuse loads it but the game fails to start. The .tzx version works okay. Maybe you can convert that to a .tap file - the loader for Horace And The Spiders is doing an additional machine code ROM load at the end (looks like it's overwriting the BASIC area as memory is tight as it's a 16k game) so it should convert okay.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

[mention]bob_fossil[/mention] :)
It’s strange. I seem to have the latest version v0.17a4, but wav does not play :)
I thought that the original spectrum analyzer could probably be left, it is displayed in an overlay and does not spoil the screen.
We wait!
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

azesmbog wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:32 am @bob_fossil :)
It’s strange. I seem to have the latest version v0.17a4, but wav does not play :)
I thought that the original spectrum analyzer could probably be left, it is displayed in an overlay and does not spoil the screen.
We wait!
[mention]azesmbog[/mention] If I´m not wrong, it will be in the next version. So WAV-Support will come in v.017a5 or v0.17 Final.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm
azesmbog wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:32 am @bob_fossil :)
We wait!
@azesmbog If I´m not wrong, it will be in the next version. So WAV-Support will come in v.017a5 or v0.17 Final.
You're not wrong. :) The WAV plugin will be in the next (final v0.17) release, scheduled for some point this weekend. That video was recorded before I changed the version string.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:31 pm
Luzie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm @azesmbog If I´m not wrong, it will be in the next version. So WAV-Support will come in v.017a5 or v0.17 Final.
You're not wrong. :) The WAV plugin will be in the next (final v0.17) release, scheduled for some point this weekend. That video was recorded before I changed the version string.
Wav support will be a great addition to the browser.
Now, it will be possible to convert full SID tunes to Wav format and listen to them in full glory. :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

v0.17
  • Saving .sna snapshot files (Caps Shift + S) was broken in both the MMC and non MMC versions.
  • Fixed file handle leak in the NMI and .browse dot command which would cause the browser to eventually stop working (requiring a power cycle / hard reset) if you entered the browser via the NMI then autostarted a game continually.
  • Fixed issue on 128k machines where the file browser was getting corrupted if you entered the NMI in a game or demo that had switched the current memory bank.
  • Added WAV plugin for ZX-UNO which lets you playback 15625khz 8 bit unsigned mono .wav files.
  • Attach disk (Caps Shift + U) now supports SCL files on esxDOS 0.8.9
  • SCL plugin can now autoload SCL disk images directly on esxDOS 0.8.9 without having to convert to a temporary TRD file.
  • If you mounted a disk image as unit 0 and then another as unit 1 unit 0 was always being unmounted.
  • Browser now determines disk unit status on startup so it shows correct state of any attached disks.
  • Browser now shows '----' for empty disk units and 0123 for mounted units to match the ID used in the esxDOS .vdisk command.
  • Symbol Shift + O didn't call the function to eject the output tape.
  • Added function to eject a disk - Symbol Shift + U.
  • Initial support for custom external font file '/bin/browse.fnt'. See fonts/font_format.txt for more information.
  • Fixed reported issue where a filename starting with an ASCII character lower than '.' was sorted before the '..' parent directory listing.
  • TRD plugin will now try and autostart the first basic (B) file on the disk if there is no 'boot.b' present on the disk.
  • POK files now support a maximum of 128 POKE entries. Browser left and right keys now move between the screens of listed POKES.
  • Removed unsupported keys from the help screens for the No_MMC_Memory build.
Download here.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Pegaz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am Now, it will be possible to convert full SID tunes to Wav format and listen to them in full glory. :)
The only "full glory" for sid files is a real C64 :D
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

tom-cat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:25 pm
Pegaz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am Now, it will be possible to convert full SID tunes to Wav format and listen to them in full glory. :)
The only "full glory" for sid files is a real C64 :D
Can't argue with that, bro. ;)
Still, this WAV plugin is really good, I just tested it with my favorite Supremacy sid tune and it sounds great on my ZX-Uno+. :)
btw, I used the SIDtoWAV tool because the sidplay didn't give me a satisfactory result.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Thanks, [mention]bob_fossil[/mention] for the new release 8-)

[mention]Pegaz[/mention] Are you also having a little sound before the wav plays and noise when you press escape when you abort playback?
I tested with the wavs from the Uno repo. .wavplay and .dmaplayw don't have that behaviour with those same wavs

RVM, ZX-Uno VM; esxDOS 0.8.9; Browse NMI 0.1.7
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:48 pm Thanks, @bob_fossil for the new release 8-)

@Pegaz Are you also having a little sound before the wav plays and noise when you press escape when you abort playback?
I tested with the wavs from the Uno repo. .wavplay and .dmaplayw don't have that behaviour with those same wavs

RVM, ZX-Uno VM; esxDOS 0.8.9; Browse NMI 0.1.7
No, there are no such problems with a real ZX-Uno or any standard music player on a PC.
This is obviously an RVM emulator issue.
btw, I also applied a hack for autoplay color issue with latest esxdos and it works perfectly. :)
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

[mention]Pegaz[/mention] Okay, thanks for checking.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:06 pm btw, I also applied a hack for autoplay color issue with latest esxdos and it works perfectly. :)
[mention]Pegaz[/mention] Can you please point to the hack for this? Tried the one on: http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2053#p2053
but this doesn´t work for me. Maybe I patched the wrong bytes...
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

Pegaz wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:02 pm I just tested it with my favorite Supremacy sid tune and it sounds great on my ZX-Uno+. :)
btw, I used the SIDtoWAV tool because the sidplay didn't give me a satisfactory result.
[media]https://youtu.be/pR0dHGLS6Ig[/media]

I didn't like the conversion quality of Supremacy, but the shape of the sound turned out to be interesting !!
By the way, yes, it's good that Next and eLeMeNt users don't use this browser. but they probably don't need a wav-file player ?? Or let them do it for themselves :)