Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by Luzie »

Bubu wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:49 am Doesn't work, I don't note any difference... :(
You need to press NMI button or enter .browse to start Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS.
Bubu wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:49 am How could I know the esxDOS version? I'm a complete newbie and dummie with this stuff...
Version is shown while doing a Hard reset of the Speccy:
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Luzie wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:15 pm [
You need to press NMI button or enter .browse to start Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS.
If I press NMI button or enter .browse, Spectrum locks and then there's no way to type any more...
I've seen on the boot screen that my version is :

v0.8.7-divIDE

I think that I should clean this CF and start from zero, I understand that escDOS must be installed in the divIDE firmware (and it is so, as I haven't modified that at all), and there must be some files in the CF. I think this is the problem, I surely have wrong files in the CF.
So, what files do I must save in the CF? I mean if I wanted to install esxDOS for fist time.
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Ah, and I get am error:

Loading RTC.SYS... [ERROR]

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

You cannot use ESXDOS if you did not install it on your interface first.

Second, the ESXDOS versions installed on the memory card and that used by your interface must match, otherwise you won't be able to do anything with the interface itself.

The RTC.SYS error does not prevent you from using the interface, it is only related to the real-time clock being absent or not configured.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

OK, I've done a clean install and now it works!!

Where can I find a tutorial to configure the browser, if this is possible? I'de like to configure some things like the keys (now I must press CAPS SHIFT + 7 to move up, and I'd like this to be Q) or the colors (now it's white bockground and blue ink, and I'd like this to be black bg and white ink)

Yhank you, this is really great!!!
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Sorry, I can find all this in manual.txt

Thanks a lot!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Bubu wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:25 am Sorry, I can find all this in manual.txt

Thanks a lot!
Try harder. :)

Code: Select all

Q: Can I change the colour scheme?
Q: Can I use a Kempston joystick?
Q: Can I use an Interface II joystick?
Q: Can I redefine the movement keys?
Q: Can I make the browser remember the last folder I was on when I navigate to it's parent folder?
Q: Can I make the browser remember the last file I was on the next time I enter the browser?

A: Yes. Run the supplied .dot command BRWSCFG config program.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Everything's done!!! I have now colors I like, and keys I like ;D

But I've noted that if I redefine keys for browsing, then I can't use those keys to write a game to find. E.g. if I use Q to move up, then if I want to find a game called "REQUEST", I must enter "reQuest", I mean, Q must be entered by pressing CAPS SHIFT + Q
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

The PZX plugin has been completely rewritten (based on the .loadpzx code) so it can now directly start PZX files without needing to create a temporary TAP file. You can also hold down shift while opening a PZX file to stop it auto starting. I've also added an internal UNO plugin to allow for advanced configuration of ZX-UNO options (Caps Shift + C) - at the moment this lets you modify video timings, CPU turbo and the joystick configuration. Both these features require a ZX-UNO.

Plugins now support the custom browser font and a bug was fixed when trying to autostart SCL or TRD files without a BOOT file and the BASIC loader filename was 7 characters.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

[mention]bob_fossil[/mention]
Thanks for the latest version :)

The new Uno config screen is also really useful.
I still have to test the joystick configuration options but I did notice that it says 3 MHz instead of 3.5.

In the statusbar, the 1st SD-card doesn't seem to be ever indicated with a 0. That's in both a 1 as well as a 2-drive config.

In a 2-drives config, I seem to be unable to make Browse show the contents of the 2nd card.

RVM, ZX-Uno VM; esxDOS 0.8.9; Browse NMI 0.1.8-1
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:10 pm @bob_fossil
Thanks for the latest version :)

The new Uno config screen is also really useful.
I still have to test the joystick configuration options but I did notice that it says 3 MHz instead of 3.5.

In the statusbar, the 1st SD-card doesn't seem to be ever indicated with a 0. That's in both a 1 as well as a 2-drive config.

In a 2-drives config, I seem to be unable to make Browse show the contents of the 2nd card.

RVM, ZX-Uno VM; esxDOS 0.8.9; Browse NMI 0.1.8-1
The statusbar shows the status of the virtual disks attached to the system like .trd or .scl files, not the actual disk devices. In my two disk test .hdf file under Fuse, the status bar shows '----' when I browse hd0 or hd1.

From the manual:

From v0.16 and onwards, BRWSCFG has an 'Auto detect device' option in the 'Advanced' category. If you turn this option on, the browser will try and work out the device from the file system automatically. When this option is enabled it overrides the value specified in 'Device Number'. You need this option enabled if you want the browser to support disks with multiple drives e.g. 'GOTO hd1'.

Again, this works for me in Fuse. There's a video of it I posted a while back in this thread.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:36 pm
The statusbar shows the status of the virtual disks attached to the system like .trd or .scl files, not the actual disk devices. In my two disk test .hdf file under Fuse, the status bar shows '----' when I browse hd0 or hd1.
Hmm, got it. Although in RVM with a 128k machine VM with a 2 SD-Card divMMC device and both cards mounted, it's always showing -1-- even after a cold-boot.
If I eject the 2nd card, Browse correctly only shows "----".
bob_fossil wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:36 pm From the manual:

From v0.16 and onwards, BRWSCFG has an 'Auto detect device' option in the 'Advanced' category. If you turn this option on, the browser will try and work out the device from the file system automatically. When this option is enabled it overrides the value specified in 'Device Number'. You need this option enabled if you want the browser to support disks with multiple drives e.g. 'GOTO hd1'.

Again, this works for me in Fuse. There's a video of it I posted a while back in this thread.
I did try that, but as it didn't make a difference, I thought I misunderstood it.

What device are you using for testing in Fuse? divMMC, or? As I cannot find an option to enable 2 SD-cards, only 1.
Or are you using a partitioned SD-card or something?

If I can create a similar setup as you, I can test these things in both RVM as Fuse to deduce emulation related issues.

Alas, I don't have access to my real machines atm.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

A video illustrating what I'm experiencing can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/89vusynh5zct1 ... 1.mkv?dl=0
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

XoRRoX wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:48 pm
What device are you using for testing in Fuse? divMMC, or? As I cannot find an option to enable 2 SD-cards, only 1.
Or are you using a partitioned SD-card or something?

If I can create a similar setup as you, I can test these things in both RVM as Fuse to deduce emulation related issues.

Alas, I don't have access to my real machines atm.
I'm using divMMC emulation in Fuse. As my ZX-UNO only has one SD card slot, I'm using a partitioned SD-card in that and Fuse.

Here's a video of it working on my ZX-UNO. Apologies for the quality.

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-con ... _multi.mkv
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

I see. Could be that partitions are treated differently than physical SD-card slots by esxDOS.

I did some more testing, with both the default esxDOS NMI browser and with Browse.

I've setup a 2-card device in RVM; Card1 has only 1 partition, Card2 has 2 partitions. This results in HD0, HD1 and HD2.
The default esxDOS NMI browser shows the contents off any current card+partition that's currently active.
Here's a video illustrating this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad5ru6sd3k3mb ... s.mkv?dl=0

And here it is with Browse 18.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fj7jov4min20 ... 1.mkv?dl=0

(Apart from this, also note on the statusbar showing -1-- as if a TRD (/scl) file is mounted.)
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:27 pm New test version available here.

The PZX plugin has been completely rewritten (based on the .loadpzx code) so it can now directly start PZX files without needing to create a temporary TAP file. You can also hold down shift while opening a PZX file to stop it auto starting. I've also added an internal UNO plugin to allow for advanced configuration of ZX-UNO options (Caps Shift + C) - at the moment this lets you modify video timings, CPU turbo and the joystick configuration. Both these features require a ZX-UNO.

Plugins now support the custom browser font and a bug was fixed when trying to autostart SCL or TRD files without a BOOT file and the BASIC loader filename was 7 characters.
The new option for advanced configuration of the ZX-Uno seems like a great idea to me. I'd like to suggest some new options that you could add:

- New G. Modes: ON/OFF
- Contended: ON / OFF
- Scanlines: ON / OFF
- Keyboard: Issue 3 / Issue 2
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

[mention]bob_fossil[/mention] Is the Source Code for your "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS" available anywhere? I mean not for the PlugIns, but for the main code handling FAT (FAT16?/FAT32). Or does any tool exist which displays the properties of the File-System under esxDOS?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:17 pm Or does any tool exist which displays the properties of the File-System under esxDOS?
I can correct myself. There´s the .drives DOT-command form Dr. Slump which tells e.g.:
hd0: FAT16, 128M, 127M

and esxDOS itself shows this information on boot-up.

I´m asking because [mention]desUBIKado[/mention] writes here: http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2062#p2062, that "Wild Player for DIVMMC" only works on FAT32 and not on FAT16. Myself I used only FAT16 now. How can I create a HDF-File in FAT32-Format? I tried with various HDFmonkey-versions I found for Windows, but can´t get a FAT32-Image created/formatted.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:23 pm
Luzie wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:17 pm How can I create a HDF-File in FAT32-Format? I tried with various HDFmonkey-versions I found for Windows, but can´t get a FAT32-Image created/formatted.
I can create an .img (raw) file of the size you need, formatted in FAT32 from linux, what size do you need?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

desUBIKado wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:25 pm I can create an .img (raw) file of the size you need, formatted in FAT32 from linux, what size do you need?
Please 128MB size. Thank you!
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:26 pm
desUBIKado wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:25 pm I can create an .img (raw) file of the size you need, formatted in FAT32 from linux, what size do you need?
Please 128MB size. Thank you!
I make two images: 121MB and 128MB

https://mega.nz/file/v14WUICZ#BVKkDWWUv ... 8CpIBom24w

I hope they serve you
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Hi, [mention]bob_fossil[/mention]

I just ran into an scl file that fails to autostart: https://zxart.ee/eng/software/demoscene ... id-player/

Cheers.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

desUBIKado wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 pm I make two images: 121MB and 128MB

https://mega.nz/file/v14WUICZ#BVKkDWWUv ... 8CpIBom24w

I hope they serve you
Thank you! But on my tests this 128MB FAT32-Image with "Wild Player for DIVMMC" I to get this Error under Fuse. Maybe this doesn´t happen with real hardware.
---------------------------
Fuse - Error
libspectrum: Unknown MMC command 59 received
OK

I don´t want to capture this "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS" any longer with it :shock:
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

XoRRoX wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:31 pm Hi, @bob_fossil

I just ran into an scl file that fails to autostart: https://zxart.ee/eng/software/demoscene ... id-player/

Cheers.
Convertet this .SCL-File to .TRD with scl2trd utility from [mention]nihirash[/mention] https://github.com/nihirash/esxdos-scl2trd/releases: This .TRD is autostarting OK from "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS". Seems to be an issue with esxDOS 0.8.9 SCL-handling or the .SCL-Image itself?
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:57 pm
XoRRoX wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:31 pm Hi, @bob_fossil

Cheers.
Convertet this .SCL-File to .TRD with scl2trd utility from @nihirash https://github.com/nihirash/esxdos-scl2trd/releases: This .TRD is autostarting OK from "Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS". Seems to be an issue with esxDOS 0.8.9 SCL-handling or the .SCL-Image itself?
Yes, it seems that the new SCL routine fails to handle this file properly.
I tried LFN v17r2, with the old conversion method and the program works...