Wonderland

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Wonderland

Post by Andre Leao »

A new text adventure from Magnetic Scrolls for the Next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n_RB_H0llw
Magic Knight
Drutt

Re: Wonderland

Post by Magic Knight »

Wonderland looks great. I bought it for my Amstrad 1512 over thirty years ago.
The memory would be eaten up very quickly, and even running it without the animations and maps, etc. still would not be enough.
I think I tried it in Dosbox and the same thing happened.

Finally, I might be able to play the whole thing.
Edit: The game crashes if you try to save your position in a room with animations.
Stefan123
Drutt

Wonderland

Post by Stefan123 »

Strand Games is happy to announce that Wonderland, the last of the Magnetic Scrolls games, is now available for free for the Spectrum Next.

Wonderland is a huge game featuring over 100 location images with many of them animated and it was originally only released for 16/32-bit systems. For the first time you can now enjoy Wonderland on an 8-bit computer. Due to the complexity of the game, parts of the Magnetic Scrolls interpreter for Spectrum Next had to be rewritten in Z80 assembly to improve the response time.

The Magnetic Scrolls Compilation has been updated to include Wonderland and is now complete. A big thank you to John Blythe for updating the beautiful cover! The other games in the compilation have also been updated with performance improvements and bug fixes.

Wonderland:
https://gitlab.com/strandgames/brahman/ ... mes/wonder

The Magnetic Scrolls Compilation:
https://gitlab.com/strandgames/brahman/ ... ompilation

Game info on specnext.com:
https://www.specnext.com/software/?title=152

Strand Games:
https://strandgames.com/projects/zxnext

Source code:
https://gitlab.com/strandgames/brahman/ ... t_magnetic

All seven Magnetic Scrolls games have now been ported to the Spectrum Next. The first three of them in remastered form and the latter four in their classic form. Strand Games will continue with remastering the remaining games and when they are available they will be ported to the Spectrum Next as well.
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

Thanks for getting it working on the Next. As I mentioned in another thread, saving the game in a room with animations crashes the program. Is this a known problem?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I can’t wait to play these when I get my NEXT in August. These games always fascinated me when I was a kid as the illustrations are excellent.
Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

[mention]Magic Knight[/mention] That is not a known problem. I just tested saving the game in the CSpect emulator when having a running animation and that worked fine. Tonight I will also test on actual hardware and see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks :)
Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

[mention]Magic Knight[/mention] I just tested saving the game in the CSpect emulator when having a running animation and that worked fine. Tonight I will also test on actual hardware and see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks :)
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

Stefan123 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:10 pm @Magic Knight That is not a known problem. I just tested saving the game in the CSpect emulator when having a running animation and that worked fine. Tonight I will also test on actual hardware and see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks :)
Great, thanks. On my machine, the graphics which are animated turn into rectangular blobs and the game freezes. A saved file is created, but the game cannot load it up. Savind and loading is otherwise fine.
Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

Magic Knight wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:32 pm Great, thanks. On my machine, the graphics which are animated turn into rectangular blobs and the game freezes. A saved file is created, but the game cannot load it up. Savind and loading is otherwise fine.
Just to make sure, do you have a "real" Spectrum Next or a compatible system (e.g. N-Go, Mister etc)?
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

Stefan123 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:38 pm
Magic Knight wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:32 pm Great, thanks. On my machine, the graphics which are animated turn into rectangular blobs and the game freezes. A saved file is created, but the game cannot load it up. Savind and loading is otherwise fine.
Just to make sure, do you have a "real" Spectrum Next or a compatible system (e.g. N-Go, Mister etc)?
Yes, I have a real Spectrum Next. Here's a picture:

Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

[mention]Magic Knight[/mention] Thanks, I just wanted to make sure. Hopefully, I will be able to reproduce this issue tonight :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Merging this with the other thread. PJ
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Ups, I messed with the link, and included a Chameleons videoclip instead... lol

This is the link I meant to post:

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... rland.html
Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

[mention]Magic Knight[/mention] FYI, I have reproduced and located the bug. It was an IM2 blunder from my side :oops: I will report back when I have a new version available.
Stefan123
Drutt

Post by Stefan123 »

UPDATE: An important bug fix has been made to Wonderland version 1.1.0 and the downloads for Wonderland and the Magnetic Scrolls Compilation have been updated. Previously, the game could crash when saving or loading a game position during playback of an animation. This has now been fixed.

Thanks [mention]Magic Knight[/mention] for finding and reporting the bug.
Magic Knight
Drutt

Post by Magic Knight »

Stefan123 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm UPDATE: An important bug fix has been made to Wonderland version 1.1.0 and the downloads for Wonderland and the Magnetic Scrolls Compilation have been updated. Previously, the game could crash when saving or loading a game position during playback of an animation. This has now been fixed.

Thanks @Magic Knight for finding and reporting the bug.
Thanks for fixing it up, I'm glad it wasn't a big job.