THE HUMANS

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
gabriele amore
Microbot

THE HUMANS

Post by gabriele amore »

Hello all
I would like to share a game John Davies and I made using AGDx mini

It is called "THE HUMANS" and it is a Lemmings-inspired mini game (25 screen)
In each screen you need to save at least 1 human to pass to the next level

you can skip levels, or repeat the same (see the instructions in the info screen)

hope you like it

THE HUMANS tap file https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5557xir7fnog ... S.tap?dl=0
THE HUMANS AGDx mini script https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ixh5fta51ajl ... x.szx?dl=0

I am also sharing the link to the AGDx mini script in case somebody would like to change things around (it never happens... but you never know!)
Gab
PS I just discovered there is an ATARI game called THE HUMANS... but as far as i can tell, the mechanics of our game are much more similar to Lemmings

Credits:
Game code, level design and loading screen: GabAm
Level Design: John Davies
Music: Alone Coder, A-Fer, Cj Echo

Game devolped with AGDx mini by Allan Turvey (which as usual provided useful and patient support)
AGDx mini is a derivation of AGD by Johnathan Cauldwell
gabriele amore
Microbot

Re: THE HUMANS

Post by gabriele amore »

I forgot to mention:

To operate you move the selector (keys 1 and 2) and then point (use the hand QAOP) at the chosen human and press M

the suicide action can be used even when there are no more actions available (you start with 8 actions, but you can carry over some of the actions from one screen to the next one)

The loading screen was done using Zx Paintbrush
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Humans are a good and very well known classic game made for many platforms. They are some kind of Lemmings clone,
but with many interesting differences:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/humans

Funny that you called your game Humans, having not heard about those Humans ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Wow. This is a complex game that I would have thought a game designer like AGD wouldn't do properly, but it's done it brilliantly.

You've broken your rule of making games too difficult from start Gab :P This one is pitched perfectly—I reached level 5 and managed to learn on the way without being overwhelmed. I still have to learn a lot of the actions, but I feel like I've been eased in.

Great work all involved.

I love that crazy music too!
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:44 pm
You've broken your rule of making games too difficult from start Gab :P This one is pitched perfectly—I reached level 5 and managed to learn on the way without being overwhelmed. I still have to learn a lot of the actions, but I feel like I've been eased in.

Great work all involved.

I love that crazy music too!
That Is because John designerd the first levels and i designed the last ones 😀
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:44 pm Wow. This is a complex game that I would have thought a game designer like AGD wouldn't do properly, but it's done it brilliantly
Thanks , it was a very nice challenge ... And i am very Happy with the end result!😀
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

gabriele amore wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:01 pm That Is because John designerd the first levels and i designed the last ones 😀
:lol:
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

The game is built using AGDxMini, which uses a similar script language to AGD but much of the engine has been rewritten to use 8 x 8 sprites and can have a lot more happening on screen. AGD games can be a bit samey so I hoped that this would freshen things up for creators. Both Gabriele and John have made some great games with it.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Since some people complained about the O+P and Q+A combos to skip or restart screen, i added two more icon that can be selected by the selector
to skip or restart the screen

the link should be the same but now you should see a screen with two more icons... please let me know if that is true
tnx a lot
G
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

gabriele amore wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:20 pm Since some people complained about the O+P and Q+A combos to skip or restart screen
I didn't accidentally quit, but I was worried about doing so.
the link should be the same but now you should see a screen with two more icons... please let me know if that is true
Yep now we have skip & redo on that same link. Cheers. Need more time to play it!
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:18 pm
gabriele amore wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:20 pm Since some people complained about the O+P and Q+A combos to skip or restart screen
I didn't accidentally quit, but I was worried about doing so.
Yep now we have skip & redo on that same link. Cheers. Need more time to play it!
OK that's great thanks: if you are not afraid of keys combo, here is a new version of the game where you can abort (O+P and then any key)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hey641gsfvitw ... s.tap?dl=0

Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

All excited loaded it and realised it’s a 128k… I don’t own a 128k maybe one day.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

Hedge1970 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:38 pm All excited loaded it and realised it’s a 128k… I don’t own a 128k maybe one day.
Can't you use an emulator?
come on! give it a try! :D

THE HUMANS TAP file: www.dropbox.com/s/hey641gsfvitw0c/THE%2 ... s.tap?dl=0
THE HUMANS AGDx mini scritp: www.dropbox.com/s/2ixh5fta51ajlt7/THE%2 ... x.szx?dl=0
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

gabriele amore wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:35 pm
Hedge1970 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:38 pm All excited loaded it and realised it’s a 128k… I don’t own a 128k maybe one day.
Can't you use an emulator?
come on! give it a try! :D

THE HUMANS TAP file: www.dropbox.com/s/hey641gsfvitw0c/THE%2 ... s.tap?dl=0
THE HUMANS AGDx mini scritp: www.dropbox.com/s/2ixh5fta51ajlt7/THE%2 ... x.szx?dl=0
Of course its an option, I like the feel of the hardware as much as the pace of the games, but sadly have no desk space left :lol:
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

i took a look at the source code and was wondering if i could add more humans to it? it looks like the code is repeated 8 times to draw each human, although im not sure about this. and i couldnt find a repeated loop or variable that would do this, so im guessing it must be. any help would be appreciated.
i started programming the spectrum when i was 8 :-

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

oh that is an interesting question...
I wouldn't know the answer as i only used AGDx mini to write the game... perhaps Allan Turvey might answer this...
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

i dont understand what you mean. do you have his contact deets?

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Allan here - when you say source code, do you mean the AGDxmini script or the actual assembly code? If it's the assembly code, then you should look at the AGDxMini script. If it's the AGDxMini script, then you should ask Gabriele as he wrote that!
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

i mean the agdx mini script

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Congratulations on a great game, very well executed and balanced.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

777 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:04 am i mean the agdx mini script
if you look for the AGDx mini script (i mean: the code i worte using the AGDx mini editor) you can find it at the link i posted at the top of the thread
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

what i need is an idea of how the script works, so i can add humans. what code i need to add/change

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

777 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:57 am what i need is an idea of how the script works, so i can add humans. what code i need to add/change
if you want to have more humans on screen, go to the EVENTS, then hit S7, then go down that code until it says "IF A<=8" and change that into the number of humans you want
but if you go higher than 8, everything will run slower
Manic Miner

Post by 777 »

ty.
35 is the max
what about the space between them?

1 plot rnd*255,rnd*175
2 goto 1
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

777 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:11 am ty.
35 is the max
what about the space between them?
the spacing is set by the pma value (>EVENTS>S7). the higher the value the higher the spacing between humans (pma cannot be higher than 255 btw, just like any other variable in AGD)
you can set the max value for PMA right at the beginning of the code for Sprite type 7 (S7; that is te sprite type that corresponds to the entry door for the humans). The pma goes in a loop from 0 to 25. So "IF PMA=...." sets the max value for pma (right now is 25, you can go higher so it will take more time to release each huma from the entry door)