Scrolling K on 48k+ start up

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
alanpwhelan
Drutt

Scrolling K on 48k+ start up

Post by alanpwhelan »

Hello everyone, I’ve dipped my toe back into the world of the Spectrum and have bought a 48k+ on eBay.

I’ve gone to switch it on for the first time and as soon as the Sinclair copyright info appears at the bottom of the screen the letter K starts racing across the screen. I thought the key might be stuck so I pulled it out and the letter kept on scrolling. It will only stop if you press and hold down another key.

The seller has performed the following mods: recapped it, fitted a new membrane, replaced TR1 and TR2, composite mod and a heat sink fitted to the ULA. It’s an issue 3 motherboard.

Any thoughts on what could be causing it?

Thanks
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Scrolling K on 48k+ start up

Post by PeterJ »

Welcome [mention]alanpwhelan[/mention]

It sounds like the keyboard membrane may need replacing.
alanpwhelan
Drutt

Post by alanpwhelan »

Thanks for that.

I’ve seen various sellers on eBay selling membranes, is there a particular seller, eBay or elsewhere, that anyone would recommend?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Some modern membranes are of poor quality. Looks like the membrane was assembled before the conductive paint fully cured. You should be able to fix that by gently massaging that area.

On the other hand, if by “pulling out” you meant you disconnected the membrane from the logic board, this means that one of the lines got stuck. Since you can’t get the letter K to appear by pressing the “K” key, I assume you mean the K mode cursor. Then it’s likely that it’s the SPACE key that is stuck.

The SPACE key are pin 1 on KB1 and pin 8 on KB2. I’d start by carefully following the trace coming from pin 1 on KB1 and making sure there are no shorts (e.g. solder splatter, etc.) or breaks. Also check R69. Then do the same by following the trace from pin 8 on KB2. Check D8. Finally, reseat the ULA.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
alanpwhelan
Drutt

Post by alanpwhelan »

Yes I meant the K mode cursor. Thanks for your replies

:)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Yeah, it could just be dirt or a mechanical problem with the keyboard causing the membrane 'bubble' to be pressed for the contacts for the [space] key.

As suggested above, very carefully disconnect one of the membrane tails and then power up and see if the problem is still present.

New membranes are available from Sell My Retro

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
alanpwhelan
Drutt

Post by alanpwhelan »

Thanks Mark.