Help! I can't load any Rasputin 48K files

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Help! I can't load any Rasputin 48K files

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I can't load the 48K TAP file neither in Spin, nor Fuse nor SpecEmu. Neither in ZX UNO+. The same to the TZX file.

At the starting screen I can select any of the control options without problems, but when pressing 0 key (start game) nothing happens. The starting tune doesn't sound either.

I only could load it in Spectaculator, but then I try to make a Z80 file in order to be loaded in other emus/hardware but it doesn't work!!! :x

128K TAP/TZX are ok.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Help! I can't load any Rasputin 48K files

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Try my bug-fixed version. It should work.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Thanks! I'll try it.
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

Sorry, this message wasn't here... :oops:
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

[mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention] : I did not try to load the TZX or TAP files of Rasputin on a real 48K yet so I cannot tell whether the same phenomenon occurs on real hardware as well.

By "bugfixed" do you mean that the game cannot actually be played on real hardware, or is it an emulation issue?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:10 am By "bugfixed" do you mean that the game cannot actually be played on real hardware, or is it an emulation issue?
Can’t remember off the top of my head if I’ve tested it on real hardware. I don’t have a 48K Speccy either, only a Toastrack and a +2A.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:56 pm I can't load the 48K TAP file neither in Spin, nor Fuse nor SpecEmu. Neither in ZX UNO+. The same to the TZX file.

At the starting screen I can select any of the control options without problems, but when pressing 0 key (start game) nothing happens. The starting tune doesn't sound either.

I only could load it in Spectaculator, but then I try to make a Z80 file in order to be loaded in other emus/hardware but it doesn't work!!! :x

128K TAP/TZX are ok.
I got it to work on FUSE but needed to select Issue 2 Keyboard in the options.
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

TomD wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:38 am I got it to work on FUSE but needed to select Issue 2 Keyboard in the options.
I have a Z80 file that runs on Fuse but after displaying a message about a 'interface 1' issue.

Anyway, it starts on a screen that is not the first screen. Weird.
TomD
Manic Miner

Post by TomD »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:43 am
TomD wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:38 am I got it to work on FUSE but needed to select Issue 2 Keyboard in the options.
I have a Z80 file that runs on Fuse but after displaying a message about a 'interface 1' issue.

Anyway, it starts on a screen that is not the first screen. Weird.
If the Z80 was captured with the IF1 on you are probably missing the IF1 ROMs as they don't come with Fuse anymore.
Retro enthusiast and author of Flynn's Adventure in Bombland, The Order of Mazes & Maze Death Rally-X. Check them out at http://tomdalby.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I've just tried Ast. A. Moore's TAP both in ZX UNO+ and my Spectrum Plus and it works fine.

Thanks for all the answers! :P
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:43 am Anyway, it starts on a screen that is not the first screen. Weird.
The file I had starts in this screen:

That's the pic included in the game entry, btw.

I don't remember the origin of that Z80 file I had.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Maybe this 17 years old tip, will be useful.

The first screen is the one you need to go to at the end of the game. Just turn 180 degrees and wakk out of that screen. This will lead you to a set of "corridor" screens where you can then enter other rooms. Hope this helps.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:43 am Anyway, it starts on a screen that is not the first screen. Weird.
The file I had starts in this screen:

That's the pic included in the game entry, btw.

I don't remember the origin of that Z80 file I had.
That looks like the first screen from the Your Sinclair demo given away with the first issue of Your Sinclair?
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Nice looking game but an absolute s**t to play. I think I've tried to play it 2-3 times and gave up after 15 mins or so.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:15 am Can’t remember off the top of my head if I’ve tested it on real hardware. I don’t have a 48K Speccy either, only a Toastrack and a +2A.
Yesterday I loaded the tzx in my Spectrum + with a tzxduino. After loading the file, the starting menu appears just for a sec and then the screen crashed.

I'll do the same in the ZX UNO+ to see what happens.

To make things more confused, the initial & problematic file only loads in Spectaculator for Android (just discovered), but as [mention]toot_toot[/mention] said, it seems a sort of demo game so I definitely deleted it.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:23 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:15 am Can’t remember off the top of my head if I’ve tested it on real hardware. I don’t have a 48K Speccy either, only a Toastrack and a +2A.
Yesterday I loaded the tzx in my Spectrum + with a tzxduino. After loading the file, the starting menu appears just for a sec and then the screen crashed.
Does your Speccy have the standard ROM?

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

[mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention] : I think it doesn't... I mean, it has the Basic messages in spanish... 'Error de Carga' instead of 'Tape Loading error'.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:38 pm @Ast A. Moore : I think it doesn't... I mean, it has the Basic messages in spanish... 'Error de Carga' instead of 'Tape Loading error'.
Oh, in that case the TZX file won’t work. I preserved the original Softlock protection scheme, and it uses data in the ROM to decrypt the code against, byte by byte. That’s why the TZX (i.e. original) version of the game won’t load on anything but the original 48K Speccy. It won’t even work in 48K mode on any 128K machines.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:50 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:38 pm @Ast A. Moore : I think it doesn't... I mean, it has the Basic messages in spanish... 'Error de Carga' instead of 'Tape Loading error'.
Oh, in that case the TZX file won’t work. I preserved the original Softlock protection scheme, and it uses data in the ROM to decrypt the code against, byte by byte. That’s why the TZX (i.e. original) version of the game won’t load on anything but the original 48K Speccy. It won’t even work in 48K mode on any 128K machines.
Well... at least it will work in all the emulators I have and in the ZXUNO+, assuming the core is compatible, right?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 pm Well... at least it will work in all the emulators I have and in the ZXUNO+, assuming the core is compatible, right?
Yes. Besides, you can always use my TAP version.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:27 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 pm Well... at least it will work in all the emulators I have and in the ZXUNO+, assuming the core is compatible, right?
Yes. Besides, you can always use my TAP version.
Yeah, I didi it (the tap file) and it works, but I'm trying to test if your tzx file works in any real hardware.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Well, the easiest way to check would be to burn the original English ROM image onto an EEPROM and stick that in your Spectrum (assuming your current ROM is socketed).

Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] I guess I am following you around a bit since you're the man finding problems :)

All the issues with Rasputin have been mentioned here already... the 48K version requires an issue 2 keyboard so any 48K machine issue 3 and later will not be able to run the program. This includes any emulator or any fpga implementation that is not switching to an issue 2 keyboard. Also already mentioned, the tzx needs an unmodified rom to load properly.

I tried the 48K tap on the spectrum next and that works fine as long as you switch to issue 2 keyboard. I imagine you should be able to do the same on the UNO.

About Z80 snapshots, Z80s encode the keyboard issue (issue 2) and the machine type (48K) into the snapshot header. Any emulator or fpga machine capable of switching keyboard issue should run it correctly. I tried that on the spectrum next as well -- after loading from tap and changing keyboard issue, I saved a z80 snapshot. I loaded the z80 and sure enough the keyboard issue was changed to issue 2 so the snapshot ran fine.

I am wondering if Spectaculator somehow noticed through a heuristic that the keyboard had to be issue 2. When it saved the Z80 it might not have stored an issue 2 indicator since it identified through the heuristic. I would try loading in other emulators and switching to keyboard issue 2 in the options, then save a Z80. That Z80 should work as expected.