Disassembly of Horace Goes Skiing - any co-operators out there?

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
popeymon
Drutt

Disassembly of Horace Goes Skiing - any co-operators out there?

Post by popeymon »

I am doing a disassembly using SkoolKit of Horace Goes Skiing. The READ_KEYBOARD routine disassembly is https://popeymongames.co.uk/2021/04/23/ ... -at-28234/.

I have identified most of the routines, and the main loops, plus some of the locations of the data.

But due to other commitments, it has stalled recently.

Is there anybody who would like to work on it with me? Of course, I will credit you on my website and on the disassembly.

If you have experience with Z80 assembly and with SkoolKit, that would help. I can teach you a little bit, but if you haven't done Z80 before, that might be a bit too much of a learning curve.

If you also have experience with GitHub, you might be able to teach me that, in return.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: Disassembly of Horace Goes Skiing - any co-operators out there?

Post by Bedazzle »

Nice, but link is broken. :)
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Bedazzle wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:24 pm Nice, but link is broken. :)
Try this one instead: https://popeymongames.co.uk/2021/04/23/ ... -at-28234/
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Interesting, it just checks any of the movement keys (keyboard, interface 1 etc.). No controls select menu. Just realised.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

PROSM wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 pm Try this one instead: https://popeymongames.co.uk/2021/04/23/ ... -at-28234/
This one is better. But personally I not very interested (never liked Horace cause game was too ancient when ZX came into our country), and right now have several active projects, where I switch from one to another.
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Assuming that the sprite graphic data in HGS is laid out in a similar way to the graphic data in HH, it might be worth looking at the sources of the HH disassembly for tips on how to construct sprite images.
popeymon wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:24 pm If you also have experience with GitHub, you might be able to teach me that, in return.
Anything in particular you want to know about GitHub? (I've been using it for a while now, so I might be able to impart some useful knowledge.)
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool