My Next isn't responding to my new PS2 mouse

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
llewelyn
Manic Miner

My Next isn't responding to my new PS2 mouse

Post by llewelyn »

I have no idea what to do or where to look for advice.
I did reboot the computer but that had no effect and yet the mouse's diode/optical is lit up
Can anyone help me please?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: My Next isn't responding to my new PS2 mouse

Post by Luzie »

Have a look here: https://wiki.specnext.dev/Mouse
especially:
Mouse

The Spectrum Next has a PS/2 port for connecting a PS/2 keyboard or mouse (or both via a splitter).

WARNING: Do not plug in or remove PS/2 devices with the power on.

A USB mouse plugged in via a USB-to-PS/2 converter will only work if the mouse itself supports the PS/2 protocol.
PS/2 Port and modes of operation

The "ps2" setting in the /machines/next/config.ini file determines the PS/2 port mode:

PS2=0 is KEYBOARD mode where a PS/2 keyboard is plugged into the Next, or with a splitter you can use both a mouse and a keyboard.

PS2=1 is MOUSE mode where the mouse should be plugged in directly. Do not use a splitter in this mode as it can have funny effects.

You can set this on boot by holding down SPACE, then pressing "E" to edit, moving down to "PS2" with the down arrow, and changing from Keyboard to Mouse with the right arrow.

You can use the "ps2mode" dot command to see which mode is active. The best place to set the value is in the tbblue .ini file, but if you start in the wrong mode then on the Next (or a membrane) keyboard you can type ps2mode -m to select MOUSE or ps2mode -k to select KEYBOARD.
Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Re: My Next isn't responding to my new PS2 mouse

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

Just to shed some light as a point of explanation:

The ps2 interface can connect up to two devices at the same time. One device goes on the primary pins and the second on the secondary pins. In the ps2 world, both keyboards and mice are wired to the primary pins. A cable like a ps2 splitter (you can use that on the Next as well) moves the mouse to the secondary pins so that both can be plugged into the ps2 port at the same time.

In the Next's case there are two versions. One is the complete version with keyboard already. In this case we want a mouse to be plugged in directly to the ps2 port without need for a splitter. The second is a bare pcb. In this case we want a ps2 keyboard to be plugged in directly without need for a splitter. The Next itself expects to see the keyboard on primary pins and the mouse on secondary; they are not interchangeable since they speak different protocols. There is a setting "ps2=0" or "ps2=1" in the file machines/config.ini that will swap the signals internally to allow either directly plugged in keyboard or directly plugged in mouse.

If you're not seeing what you expect, toggle that ps2 setting.