Brilliant games that didn't make it to the top (Hijack, anyone???)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ashley Pomeroy
Drutt

Re: Brilliant games that didn't make it to the top (Hijack, anyone???)

Post by Ashley Pomeroy »

bluespikey wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:13 am Swords and Sorcery had a dedicated fan section in the letters of the adventure bit of Crash for a while, and Chaos had a brief revival in the strategy bit after a couple of years. So people were playing it during the original release and the more famous yellow YS cover tape.
There might be a generational aspect at play - I got my Spectrum in 1986, a post-Sinclair grey +2 model, so I've always thought of anything pre-1986 as belonging to the primitive dark ages. S&S stands out because it's unusually sophisticated for the period. I didn't realise it had a following, albeit a brief one.

This thread lit a small spark in my mind. There was a detective game. I remember it being fun, but beyond the initial release it seemed to vanish. What was it? I popped open the Internet Archive's Your Sinclair archive and looked through some old back issues of YS. June 1987. The second issue I bought, with Hydrofool on the cover.

An lo, on page 80 an advert for Killed Until Dead. If the database is to believed it was released at full price in 1987 and never re-released on budget or put on a covertape or a compilation, so if you missed it when it was new you missed it. It's one of those icon-driven logic puzzle games like The Fourth Protocol or Vera Cruz etc but with a more comic tone. I remember almost nothing about it. The "Murder at Midnight" subtitle on the title screen implies it was the first in a planned series. It would probably have been more successful if they had managed to get a suitable licence albeit that it's an odd mixture of techno-sleuthing and old-fashioned Poirot-style politeness. There's a surprisingly thorough blog post about it here:
http://frgcb.blogspot.com/2014/10/kille ... -1986.html

But again it's one of those games that doesn't get talked about a lot. I have no idea how many copies it sold. It was released on a bunch of different formats (C64, then Apple II, then ZX Spectrum / Amstrad) so obviously somebody believed in it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Ashley Pomeroy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:12 pm
An lo, on page 80 an advert for Killed Until Dead. If the database is to believed it was released at full price in 1987 and never re-released on budget or put on a covertape or a compilation, so if you missed it when it was new you missed it. It's one of those icon-driven logic puzzle games like The Fourth Protocol or Vera Cruz etc but with a more comic tone. I remember almost nothing about it. The "Murder at Midnight" subtitle on the title screen implies it was the first in a planned series. It would probably have been more successful if they had managed to get a suitable licence albeit that it's an odd mixture of techno-sleuthing and old-fashioned Poirot-style politeness. There's a surprisingly thorough blog post about it here:
http://frgcb.blogspot.com/2014/10/kille ... -1986.html

But again it's one of those games that doesn't get talked about a lot. I have no idea how many copies it sold. It was released on a bunch of different formats (C64, then Apple II, then ZX Spectrum / Amstrad) so obviously somebody believed in it.
Killed Until Dead - that's a really good one, very high reviews by all magazines.

I enjoyed it at the time when I played it - the characters have great animated expressions when they start panicking when you question them. A lot of the game is about being in the right place at the right time to eavesdrop on people's conversations.

The main issues I recall I had was with re-playability of scenarios, combined with the multi-load. Despite enjoying the game, once I discovered the plot of each scenario I didn't really feel it was worth loading again. I just moved on to the next one, and kept playing till they were all done.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
kokkiklhs
Dizzy

Post by kokkiklhs »

Morkin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am Killed Until Dead - that's a really good one, very high reviews by all magazines.

I enjoyed it at the time when I played it - the characters have great animated expressions when they start panicking when you question them. A lot of the game is about being in the right place at the right time to eavesdrop on people's conversations.

The main issues I recall I had was with re-playability of scenarios, combined with the multi-load.
Yes, brilliant game this one and with a fine sense of humour! But multiloading was a pain in the arse...
Was there ever a disk version (even unofficially) released? This would be great!!!