Cyrillic version of the Spectrum ROM

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Cyrillic version of the Spectrum ROM

Post by TMD2003 »

Vaguely related to all this, and this is a question for [mention]Alone Coder[/mention] and any other Russians:

Was there ever an agreed standard for a Cyrillic version of the Spectrum ROM character set? I've made one myself, in case I ever need it, but some of the characters still don't look right. It's much the same with the equivalent Greek, which has a lot more curly characters and isn't particularly suitable for 8×8 character squares.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Re: So what actually IS the story with the Pentagon and Scorpion?

Post by Bedazzle »

TMD2003 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:27 pm Was there ever an agreed standard for a Cyrillic version of the Spectrum ROM character set?
AFAIK, no. Every author did translations differently.

Some used Microsoft-style, when all alphabet letters are one after another - А, Б, В, Г...

Some by "pronounce" (like picture below)
A = А
B = Б
C = Ц
D = Д

Some used character positions by similarity
A = А
B = В (letter V)
C = С (letter S)
3 = З (letter Z)
and used other letters for additional characters, that was placed randomly, and possibly not full charset for getting more free memory.
TMD2003 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:27 pm I've made one myself, in case I ever need it, but some of the characters still don't look right.
Cyrillic letters for Russian is ok here:

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Cyrillic version of the Spectrum ROM

Post by PeterJ »

Topic split by admin.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

96 chars were used in old releases, but modern programs use 256 chars with "CP-866" encoding. Usually such font (2048 bytes) is encoded in screen format (inc h).
Cyrillic ROMs were very rare (I never touched a computer with that).
SamC
Microbot

Post by SamC »

Maybe a shared standard exists by computers with both latin and cyrillic alphabets in ROM?
Spektr48, Blitz, Hobbit, Orel Bk-08
At least some of them follow the KOI-7 character standard (do not know which one).
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Alone Coder wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:53 am Cyrillic ROMs were very rare (I never touched a computer with that).
Friend of mine bought some 48k clone, where was hardware switches to choose from regular/turbo loader and English/Russian font in ROM.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

Bedazzle wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 pm Friend of mine bought some 48k clone, where was hardware switches to choose from regular/turbo loader and English/Russian font in ROM.
That's interesting, can you please provide more information? Name, date, serial number, packing, manual, story etc.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

http://speccy.info/%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D ... %D0%B0-002
В шрифте вместо строчных латинских букв располагались заглавные русские.[1]
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Alone Coder wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:34 am That's interesting, can you please provide more information? Name, date, serial number, packing, manual, story etc.
К сожалению, подробностей не знаю. Это было в середине девяностых, друг привёз его из Севастополя.
На корпусе два рычажка переключения турбозагрузки с ленты и шрифта. Видимо, ПЗУ менялось либо полностью, либо частично.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

azesmbog wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:56 am http://speccy.info/%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D ... %D0%B0-002
В шрифте вместо строчных латинских букв располагались заглавные русские.[1]
Клавиатура другая была, пластиковые клавиши и краской написано, точно не цветная.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Bedazzle wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Cyrillic letters for Russian is ok here:

The 3rd set are Greek characters. Is there a modified Greek Spectrum ROM?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

firelord wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:56 pm
Bedazzle wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:51 pm Cyrillic letters for Russian is ok here:
Not that I know of - I drew that character set myself. But there is some Greek-language software out there - it was some posted uMIAs a while back. Some kind of "teach yourself chemistry", as I remember...

Theo Develegas was not involved.

ALSO: I have just discovered (on Es.pectrum) the Ukrainian Orel BK-08, which has all the error reports translated into Russian and a Spectrum-style Cyrillic character set, although it uses some weird italic-style characters without actually being italic. It's probably for clarity.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:54 pm
firelord wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:56 pm
Not that I know of - I drew that character set myself. But there is some Greek-language software out there - it was some posted uMIAs a while back. Some kind of "teach yourself chemistry", as I remember...

Theo Develegas was not involved.
Ok thanks.
The programs you mention make their the letters for foreign languages using software. I was hopping that it might be a hacked ROM with that implemented.