Formula One - its steering wheel

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Formula One - its steering wheel

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Formula One (Spirit Software)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... ormula_One

It claimed it came with a plastic steering wheel. This ad explains it:

"It gives the car the level or precision to steer the car..."

I've amsearched through some mgs but there's no pics of it; obviously I don't expect a marvel of tech and design, but I'd like to know if any of you had it and tell how it was. And pics please!!!

"It will be used for many games in the future..."
. It seems it won't... :roll:
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: Formula One - its steering wheel

Post by Stefan »

If the title in the advertisement claims a sterring wheel, then it’s destined to be a red herring.

Was this a March edition, ready for an April 1st?
Last edited by Stefan on Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luth714
Drutt

Post by Luth714 »

If I remember comments from magazines (Maybe the Crash sports game special) it was barely more than a plastic ashtray you put on top of the middle of the keyboard. Guess it held down/ nudged the keys to steer left and right as you “turned” it?
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

And then there’s the ominous half page notice in Your Computer. https://archive.org/details/your-comput ... 4/mode/1up
NOTICE

Your Computer has been asked by Kensington CID to announce that they are currently investigating Spirit Software.

Readers who have responded to their advertisements will be contacted by the CID in the next 8 weeks.
Were they stealing the sterring wheels out of real cars perhaps? 🤔
evilpaul
Manic Miner

Post by evilpaul »

Presumably it was a bit like the "surf board controller" from SurfChamp?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

From the Mastertronic re-release:

"6. Steering wheel - Use a sellotape tin or similar object, about 4 1/2" in diameter and 1" deep, hold it at the top and position it at the centre of top row of keys so that it nestles against the ridge at the back. Roll it to the left or right with moderate pressure to steer. To begin with, a rocking motion on the wheel may help get the feel of the car."

It's woeful, isn't it?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

evilpaul wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:18 pm Presumably it was a bit like the "surf board controller" from SurfChamp?
I thought the same
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:32 pm From the Mastertronic re-release:

"6. Steering wheel - Use a sellotape tin or similar object, about 4 1/2" in diameter and 1" deep, hold it at the top and position it at the centre of top row of keys so that it nestles against the ridge at the back. Roll it to the left or right with moderate pressure to steer. To begin with, a rocking motion on the wheel may help get the feel of the car."

It's woeful, isn't it?
I tried that back in the day, didn't help steer that damn car round the corners.
Actually the idea of having extra keys for different amounts of steering (ignoring the wheel idea) was good, the implementation not so much
Van_Dammesque
Manic Miner

Post by Van_Dammesque »

I tried using a roll of sellotape, didn't work, surprise surprise. Probably because it was a 48k + keyboard! :lol:
IIRC, the steering keys were next to each other, if they were separated by a single key even, then it might have worked better as the roll could rest in the dead zone and not have to 'hover' it.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Amazingly, Formula One Simulator was Mastertronic’s biggest seller - over 500,000 copies sold across all formats.

http://www.guter.org/mastertronic/maste ... _stats.htm

Although on the C64 and Spectrum, Ghostbusters was the biggest seller (I think everyone had a copy of the Ricochet re-release?!!), but Formula One SImulator was the biggest seller on Amstrad and C16 formats.

I had it on the Twenty Chartbusters compilation, I remember it being not bad, I suppose good for an early Mastertronic £1.99 release. It would have been nice to have got the simulation of Chequered Flag mixed in with the racing of Formula One Simulator.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

toot_toot wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:39 am Although on the C64 and Spectrum, Ghostbusters was the biggest seller (I think everyone had a copy of the Ricochet re-release?!!)
I think Exolon beats it, as it was bundled with Дельта-С and Синтез (at least 200 000 units taken together), maybe with something else. Every Russian ZX Spectrum user knows this game, unlike Ghostbusters.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:37 am Wait, wait - ONE AND A HALF Pembroke Mews?
Probably a broom cupboard that's now on the market for £1500,000 leasehold.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Has ANYONE EVER seen a real sellotape TIN? From what I can tell they haven't sold Sellotape in a tin since the 60s!
I vaguely remember my Nan might have had a battered and corroded one on a shelf (and this was late 70s) in which she kept drawing pins and paper clips and other tatty bits of stationery. Next to the pile of 'Coalite' headed notepaper that every house in Bolsover seemed to have reams of stashed away :lol: . But that's really stretching the limits of my recollection and thus highly likely to be completely wrong.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I've been on this spinning lump of rock since 1973 and I have to say that I've never seen a tin of Sellotape!!:

Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:37 am Wait, wait - ONE AND A HALF Pembroke Mews?
Cupboard-Under-The-Stairs
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I vaguely remember actual surfers at the time, and since, commenting that the Surf Champ board controller did actually work quite well.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I see you 1½ Pembroke Mews and I raise you...

I would assume that 1½ was an alternative for 1A, which both addresses would have been somewhere else. And if that was the case, it's a good job Whip-ma-Whop-Ma Gate isn't in my new base in the marshlands, where there are more As, Bs and Cs than an entire month's worth of episodes of Sesame Street, and Station Road has a 48J.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!