Sinclair Quality Control

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Sinclair Quality Control

Post by equinox »

Around the time of the release of the Spectrum +2 (or maybe the 128), a "Sinclair Quality Control" scheme was introduced. You can see this logo on a small number of games, such as the +2 bundled games ("Odd Job Eddie", etc.) and "Moonlight Madness".

Does anyone have a list of all of the Sinclair Quality Control games? It would be nice to include this as a searchable tag within the archive.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Sinclair Quality Control

Post by TMD2003 »

Odd Job Eddie...
Sinclair Quality Control...

...it's a bit like Mercedes-Benz running their own checks over a Shuanghuan Noble.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Lol, except Sinclair (or Amstrad) were notorious for terrible quality hardware, especially the +2. I was reading an old SU the other day and there’s a few letters people complaining about their +2 quality from Dixon. I remember I had to return mine a couple times, as did a friend of mine (except he got a different games bundle, while keeping the original one!j
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I always thought this was just a marketing gimmick. Was there ever a stated criteria for it? Because if not, it’s meaningless really.

Even if there was a minimum ‘standard’ that had to be met, was it set at such a low bar that most of the games on the market would have met it anyway?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:22 am I always thought this was just a marketing gimmick. Was there ever a stated criteria for it? Because if not, it’s meaningless really.

Even if there was a minimum ‘standard’ that had to be met, was it set at such a low bar that most of the games on the market would have met it anyway?
Well, splitting your software into Firebird/Rainbird/Silverbird, or Mastertronic vs. M.A.D., is a marketing gimmick, but we do track those things. Might be historically interesting to somebody, I dunno.
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

toot_toot wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:04 am Lol, except Sinclair (or Amstrad) were notorious for terrible quality hardware, especially the +2. I was reading an old SU the other day and there’s a few letters people complaining about their +2 quality from Dixon. I remember I had to return mine a couple times, as did a friend of mine (except he got a different games bundle, while keeping the original one!j
I always found the grey +2’s to be very reliable. Still got mine from 1987 and it’s still working with no issues.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

equinox wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:59 pm
1024MAK wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:22 am I always thought this was just a marketing gimmick. Was there ever a stated criteria for it? Because if not, it’s meaningless really.

Well, splitting your software into Firebird/Rainbird/Silverbird, or Mastertronic vs. M.A.D., is a marketing gimmick, but we do track those things. Might be historically interesting to somebody, I dunno.
Sorry, I did not mean that we should not include the classification. I was just trying to see if anyone knew much more about the Sinclair Quality Control and if there was anything behind it other than marketing. If there was, then that would increase the merit of including the classification…

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer being good this year.