Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Re: Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Post by Pegaz »

Excellent, I will test this core over the weekend.
Cheers.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

desUBIKado wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:22 pm Hi @Pegaz ,

Spark2k06 has been looking at the Spectrum core code and has seen that for the 512K ZX-Uno the maximum size of the .PZX files it could handle was 128K, while for the 2MB models the size increased to 1.5 MB.

He has synthesised a test core so that the 512K models can handle .PZX files up to 224K. I tested it with The Lyra II Megademo file, which occupies 204 KB and it worked until the end. With this demo you have to use the 128K EN rom, with Derby++ it works badly.

I'll leave the file here so you can try it thoroughly and let us know the results. If everything is OK, we will synthesize the final cores with this modification.

COREx_PZX_224KB.ZX1 (336 KB)
I tried about 50 pzx files with this test core and compatibility improvement is noticeable.
Still I failed to load some 128K games with custom loaders.
Loader from Arcade Trivia Quiz, who I have in several games made me the most troubles and has proved to be the very sensitive and unstable.
Here are four example files, which I can't load for now, if someone wants to try.
https://easyupload.io/uotlre
Thanks to all involved, I hope there will be solutions for these problematic loaders.
As soon as I can, I will test more games...
btw, the largest file I managed to load for now is The Pawn around 210Kb.
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Hi [mention]Pegaz[/mention]

Yesterday was an intense day synthesising test cores. We are working hard on it in the Telegram group and are still testing.

This is the last core synthesised today: https://github.com/spark2k06/zxuno/blob ... /COREx.ZX1

However, we have already found some problems with it and we are trying to fix them.

We will keep you posted.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Pegaz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:47 pm I tried about 50 pzx files with this test core and compatibility improvement is noticeable.
Loader from Arcade Trivia Quiz, who I have in several games made me the most troubles and has proved to be the very sensitive and unstable.
Here are four example files, which I can't load for now, if someone wants to try.
Just one question now: It´s a .TZX-File you uploaded in this "pzx_test2.zip" package and no .PZX-File: "Arcade Trivia Quiz (128K)(All-In-One)(6).tzx"?!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

desUBIKado wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:48 am Hi [mention]Pegaz[/mention]

Yesterday was an intense day synthesising test cores. We are working hard on it in the Telegram group and are still testing.

This is the last core synthesised today: https://github.com/spark2k06/zxuno/blob ... /COREx.ZX1

However, we have already found some problems with it and we are trying to fix them.

We will keep you posted.
Thank you all for the effort, really appreciate.
I will also try new core and give feedback, as soon as I can.
Luzie wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:51 am
Pegaz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:47 pm I tried about 50 pzx files with this test core and compatibility improvement is noticeable.
Just one question now: It´s a .TZX-File you uploaded in this "pzx_test2.zip" package and no .PZX-File: "Arcade Trivia Quiz (128K)(All-In-One)(6).tzx"?!
Sorry, I picked up those two files by mistake, from my TZX folder.
They are here in the PZX format:
https://easyupload.io/5osaam
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I didn't make a big progress with latest core, but I managed to load one of four tricky loaders (Arcade Trivia Quiz) from yesterday's session.
To my big surprise, +2A Rom proved the best in reading these custom loaders, followed by Derby 32k and standard 128K En Rom.
The other three pzx examples I sent yesterday, are still untouchable, but now the percentage of non-working files is drastically smaller than before.
Maybe these games also require some wierd configuration to work, but for now I haven't discovered it.
I don't know what new problems are found with latest test core, but I hope they are solvable...
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:27 pm I didn't make a big progress with latest core, but I managed to load one of four tricky loaders (Arcade Trivia Quiz) from yesterday's session.
To my big surprise, +2A Rom proved the best in reading these custom loaders, followed by Derby 32k and standard 128K En Rom.
The other three pzx examples I sent yesterday, are still untouchable, but now the percentage of non-working files is drastically smaller than before.
Maybe these games also require some wierd configuration to work, but for now I haven't discovered it.
I don't know what new problems are found with latest test core, but I hope they are solvable...
Regarding the test files, "R-Type Remix Mod" and "Renegade" have loaded without problems. The other two, "Arcade Trivia Quiz" and "Athena128K_MAC" did not load.

The problem I mentioned at the end was not with the core, but with Bob Fossil's browser. He will release a fix in the next test version that will fix it.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

desUBIKado wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:55 pm
Pegaz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:27 pm I didn't make a big progress with latest core, but I managed to load one of four tricky loaders (Arcade Trivia Quiz) from yesterday's session.
Regarding the test files, "R-Type Remix Mod" and "Renegade" have loaded without problems. The other two, "Arcade Trivia Quiz" and "Athena128K_MAC" did not load.

The problem I mentioned at the end was not with the core, but with Bob Fossil's browser. He will release a fix in the next test version that will fix it.
Thanks, its a good news.
I also want to confirm that R-Type and Renegade working now.
With different combinations of Roms/Timings and loading without NMI browser, I got best results.
In this way, I loaded all games tested so far, except Athena128.pzx file.
btw, Arcade Trivia Quiz works with +2A ROM, 128K timing and your method without nmi browser mentioned earlier.
Then, insert pzx file holding SHIFT+TAB (Enter), press ESC to exit in BASIC and use Load"" .
I didnt use turbo mode, so be patient, it has over 1200 blocks on counter...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Luzie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:41 pm
Pegaz wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:42 pm If working, just tell me which setup has been used: BIOS, Spectrum Core, Model, Timing, browser version.
I have BIOS 0.83, ESXDOS 0.8.9, default spectrum core (slot 1 EXP27-220521 from desubikado latest package), Derby 64k rom (tested also with other cores, roms and timings) and latest LFN browser v.018, v.019, v0.20...
OK. I´ll do the tests. But I think it takes some days to find me some spare time. Hope I can test on sunday. Will then respond here.
Sorry [mention]Pegaz[/mention] as I can´t help here until. Maybe next time.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Luzie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm
Luzie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:41 pm
OK. I´ll do the tests. But I think it takes some days to find me some spare time. Hope I can test on sunday. Will then respond here.
Sorry @Pegaz as I can´t help here until. Maybe next time.
No need for apology, at that time I just needed confirmation, that some games don't work on stock ZX-Uno 512Kb and [mention]desUBIKado[/mention] resolved that dilemma.
Now we have updated Spectrum core, which better handle PZX files and still improves.
This is really good progress in just a few days...
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

v0.20
  • Added configurable plugin settings through the .plugcfg command. Plugins now support per plugin configuration files.
  • Added support for a 2nd fire button on Kempston joysticks that support it (tested on DivMMC Future and ZX-UNO Kempston implementations). This button is bound to the parent directory hotkey.
  • WAV plugin now supports configurable waveform display during playback.
  • SCR plugin supports configurable slideshow mode and delay.
  • PT2 and PT3 plugins support configurable playback looping and automatically playing the next song when playback ends.
  • _UNO plugin now supports configuring options for the audio port $F7 (AY/SpecDrum/Beeper), Joystick Splitter and TurboSound.
  • _UNO plugin lets you save and load configurations to 'slots' so you can quickly switch between different machine configurations.
  • Added RAD plugin to load in Radistan format images.
  • .brwscfg now uses browser border setting.
Download here.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Thanks Bob, nice work as always.
Are there improvements to the pzx support, for some non working files ?
desUBIKado
Microbot

Post by desUBIKado »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:28 pm Thanks Bob, nice work as always.
These are the last versions of the core that were synthesised

https://github.com/spark2k06/zxuno/tree ... 7/binaries
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Pegaz wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:28 pm Thanks Bob, nice work as always.
Aside from the updated cores, no.

The PZX support is based on the source for the .loadpzx command so best case scenario is that I'm feature / bug compatible with that. I'm aware of the issue with loading old Speedlock I games (Bruce Lee, Blue Max etc) - the workaround being to not load the tape from inside the NMI browser. I don't know why it fails - I suspect it's related to the Speedlock protection and one of the registers / system variables not being in the state it expects when the PZX tape data is autostarted - and trying to debug the issue on my ZX-UNO is a lot more hassle than inside Fuse.
luptonix
Drutt

Post by luptonix »

Hello,

I am having difficulty using .POK files with this browser. I can open the POK file, I can see that it has multiple entries, but when I choose one entry and hit "Enter", the poke is simply not applied.

My hardware is DivMMC EnJOY! PRO MINI *lite* on a Harlequin 128k Issue 3H (running in 128k mode).

Here is a sample .POK file contents that I am trying to use:

Code: Select all

NInfinite Lives
Z 8 45982 0 0
NInfinite Bonus
Z 8 44665 0 0
NImmunity
Z 8 44546 195 0
Y
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

luptonix wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm Hello,

I am having difficulty using .POK files with this browser. I can open the POK file, I can see that it has multiple entries, but when I choose one entry and hit "Enter", the poke is simply not applied.

My hardware is DivMMC EnJOY! PRO MINI *lite* on a Harlequin 128k Issue 3H (running in 128k mode).

Here is a sample .POK file contents that I am trying to use:

Code: Select all

NInfinite Lives
Z 8 45982 0 0
NInfinite Bonus
Z 8 44665 0 0
NImmunity
Z 8 44546 195 0
Y
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Did you try pressing space on the selected option, e.g. 'Infinite Lives' to set it to 'On'? You need to do that before hitting ENTER.
luptonix
Drutt

Post by luptonix »

Yes, I hit space to toggle the poke between On, Off, and Not Set, then hit Enter. I tried this with a few different games, and it doesn't seem to work on any of them.

Also, after I toggle the poke to On, return to the game (by pressing Break), then come back to the browser (by pressing the NMI button), and reopen the same POK file, the status of each poke entry is back to Not Set (rather than to On). Is that expected?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Installed this on my Omni - ESXDOS v0.8.7 - and it seems really nice. Some feedback:

1. It's good. Really good, and much better than the built-in esxdos browser. Makes your NMI a pleasure to press.
2. Browsing without having to hold shift on 5678? Would be nice not to have to. Also would be nice to somehow enable IF2 stick browsing.
3. Feedback! Feedback! You need more. When caching with shift+z, it goes unresponsive for a few seconds while it does it - the message "Caching, please wait..." would not go amiss. Also once done caching, pressing any key should return you immediately to browse mode rather than being forced to wait for the success message to go away.

That's it for now, more as/when I think of it. Obviously at this stage I'm only using it to launch games and demos as I've had the Omni for like 5 minutes. Your configuration tool is finicky as hell, but that's fine as it's a "set it and forget it" kind of deal so no biggie.

Great tool, looking forward to updates.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

ZXDunny wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 am 2. Browsing without having to hold shift on 5678? Would be nice not to have to. Also would be nice to somehow enable IF2 stick browsing.
Dear [mention]ZXDunny[/mention] isn´t it possible to define controls with the Config-program of the LFB?
So you can change control to Sinclair Joystick?
And if I´m not wrong it should also support Kempston-Joystick to move.

I have no time now to test, but I think it should be as I´ve written.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

The plugin configuration system now uses separate .INI files instead of the singular 'plugins.ini'. This has been replaced with WAV.INI, SCR.INI. PT2.INI and PT3.INI. This makes it easier to add in new plugins without having to merge new plugins back into plugins.ini.

The browser now shows the 'Working...' message when creating a browser cache file and timed message prompts can now be dismissed by pressing any key on the keyboard. I've also fixed an issue browsing files if you deleted the last file in a folder (fix ported from over from 2browse).

I think I've sorted the issue with the PZX plugin on the ZX-UNO not starting older Speedlock I games (Blue Max, Bruce Lee) from the NMI browser.

The issue is related to the way esxDOS works. When the esxDOS ROM launches the NMI.SYS file in response to the NMI, it changes the interrupt register (I) to $3e. I is normally $3f in BASIC. This gets restored when you exit the NMI browser by the code in the esxDOS ROM. However, if you call the esxDOS function to autostart a tape file - which the PZX plugin does to feed the tape signal into - this call short circuits the NMI to restore the Spectrum back to a state where it's ready to load a tape file in. I is not restored and is still set to $3e. Now, for 99% of tape files this doesn't seem to be an issue but it is for the protection code in the original Speedlocks. If I manually set the I register back to $3f before I call the esxDOS tape autostart function, the PZX plugin loads the tape and the Speedlock code doesn't crash or hang after the long BASIC block. Maybe something for [mention]lordcoxis[/mention] or [mention]SamC[/mention] to have a look at?
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Thanks Bob. I admire your continued support for the browser. It seems like you're addressing every single issue that comes up and it's much appreciated.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Is there any chance for a way to OUT 32765,48 prior to launching a .tap file? Maybe on shift/symb+Enter? Not sure if it's possible or if I just need to ID the files that need it and add it to their BASIC loaders.

Edit: Saw the option to dismiss wait messages and suchlike, nice job and many thanks :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

ZXDunny wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm Is there any chance for a way to OUT 32765,48 prior to launching a .tap file? Maybe on shift/symb+Enter? Not sure if it's possible or if I just need to ID the files that need it and add it to their BASIC loaders.
You can't currently do this from the browser. Wasn't sure how useful this was outside of the Ultimate games that need it? I could stick it on Symbol Shift + L to 'lock' out the 128 paging?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:13 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 pm Is there any chance for a way to OUT 32765,48 prior to launching a .tap file? Maybe on shift/symb+Enter? Not sure if it's possible or if I just need to ID the files that need it and add it to their BASIC loaders.
You can't currently do this from the browser. Wasn't sure how useful this was outside of the Ultimate games that need it? I could stick it on Symbol Shift + L to 'lock' out the 128 paging?
I've been using your browser on the Omni and I've noticed a few people over the years asking how to get, as you say, the Ultimate games working from DivMMC. If it's not too much trouble, it might be nice to be able to lock paging before launching.

...but then as it only affects a few games, it might not be worth your bother :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

ZXDunny wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:14 am
I've been using your browser on the Omni and I've noticed a few people over the years asking how to get, as you say, the Ultimate games working from DivMMC. If it's not too much trouble, it might be nice to be able to lock paging before launching.

...but then as it only affects a few games, it might not be worth your bother :)
Unfortunately, they are some of the most iconic and fondly remembered Spectrum games. :) I'll add Symbol Shift + L to lock paging in the next test build.