Main logo link when in forum

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Main logo link when in forum

Post by hitm4n »

Just throwing this in the ring...

Just below the main Spectrum Computing logo right at the top is a "Forum home" button.
Considering this is there, could the main logo go to the sites homepage rather than the forum home?
Or could a main homepage link be added to the Quick links pulldown?

No biggie if not.
Have fun.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Guesser
Manic Miner

Re: Main logo link when in forum

Post by Guesser »

hitm4n wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm Considering this is there, could the main logo go to the sites homepage rather than the forum home?
NO! They just changed it from being the way you describe to suit me! :lol:
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

I'm with hitm4n: I much preferred the original way. There are other links to the forum home page, but none to the main site.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I wondered why it changed! I have to say I preferred it as hitm4n says.

Sorry to keep adding to the chores Peter. This is one I could change if that was what you wanted & general consensus.
Digital Prawn
Drutt

Post by Digital Prawn »

I also preferred it the original way i.e. the logo links back to main web site. As mentioned there is already the "Forum home" link to get back to the main forum page.

Guess it is isn't possible to please everyone all of the time. :lol:
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

hmph :oops:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser, we're very disappointed in you.
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

Yeah well... I'm gonna go build my own forum. With blackjack. And hookers!

In fact, forget the forum.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

We definitely need an easily accessible link to the main SC page, because now we dont have one on forum.
It may be a good compromise to put that link at the bottom of each page or revert to the original way.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Guesser wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm Yeah well... I'm gonna go build my own forum. With blackjack. And hookers!
Peter, we've got to keep the punters happy. I'll take care of the blackjack, could you dig out the stilettos and take care of Guesser's other needs?
jmk
Drutt

Post by jmk »

Guesser wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm Yeah well... I'm gonna go build my own forum. With blackjack. And hookers!
Just like before, it's yesterday once more.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I have reverted this change. We will use polls in future to get an agreement on such changes.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

The "Spectrum Computing" just to the left of "Forum home" now looks a bit redundant.

But it works for me.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RMartins wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm The "Spectrum Computing" just to the left of "Forum home" now looks a bit redundant.

But it works for me.
Ignore him Peter! Looks fine! Thanks for changing.

(Hi Rui :-p)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm
RMartins wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:45 pm The "Spectrum Computing" just to the left of "Forum home" now looks a bit redundant.

But it works for me.
Ignore him Peter! Looks fine! Thanks for changing.

(Hi Rui :-p)
Just to be clear, I was not asking for it to be changed.
Just noticed the redundancy, since it links to the same URL as the main logo.

Hi, R-Tape :D
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

You're right.
There should be a "Forum home" in the first place, because the logo now links again to the main SC web page.
It's not a big deal, but it would look more natural.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Peterrr!

Can we change it back?

(kidding)
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Winner is me - haha. Having only joined today i didn't know it was this way before... Well, makes sense to me, glad it does to most of the rest fo you too :)
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Wow, a fight, and after only a few days since most current members discovered this forums existence :lol:

Maybe the link in the logo should go to a new page that is neither the web site home page or the forum home page, but instead is a page which has (currently) two big, easy to see (and use) links, which at the moment will be to the web site home page and to the forum home page.

Further, you could add say, a couple of other useful links, one useful example being, to say, the forum active topics page.

Oh, and by the way, this problem affects other forums where there is also a main site with other content, so the issue is not new...

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Hikaru
Microbot

Post by Hikaru »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 am Maybe the link in the logo should go to a new page that is neither the web site home page or the forum home page, but instead is a page which has (currently) two big, easy to see (and use) links, which at the moment will be to the web site home page and to the forum home page.
This is normally where both camps are supposed to turn around and yell, 'Shut up!'. :lol:

I dunno, I've never seen it as a problem. IIRC even the old WoS forums worked the same way. I'm not even sure why anyone would want to move back and forth to the main site using a link on top of the forums in the first place, while on the other hand you might probably want to come back to the main page of the forums somewhat often if you were browsing the forums. So it makes sense.
Inactive account
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Personally, on phpBB based forums, nearly the only time that I use the home page, is on forums where I am a moderator and am checking each sub-forum. Normally I just use either a bookmark to the active topics page, or use the quick links (top left of the page) to get to the active topics page.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.