The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by equinox »

+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:29 pm Yeah, or INPUT USR n works fine too, I dont thought in the cross interference between RAND USR and the RND seed, sorry, a small bug.
I specifically did nonsense like VERIFY STR$ USR n because he was asking for weird keyword usage. I don't think it should count because obviously the USR will never return and so the keyword doesn't "happen" (nothing is VERIFYed) but what can I say, I'm a slut.

The question (raised in the 48K manual about 40 years ago) about how to use CONTINUE inside a program is still unanswered and I've got some nice champagne truffles for anyone who has an answer before 1 January that sounds actually useful and not bullsh*t.
+3code

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by +3code »

equinox wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:45 pm The question (raised in the 48K manual about 40 years ago) about how to use CONTINUE inside a program is still unanswered and I've got some nice champagne truffles for anyone who has an answer before 1 January that sounds actually useful and not bullsh*t.
CONTINUE without arguments makes a GOTO 1

Edit: well, CONTINUE has no arguments :D
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

I did some testing on 128K with CONTINUE and got odd results.

10 POKE 30000,201
15 print ".";
20 IF USR 30000 THEN CONTINUE

This prints a bunch of dots.

10 POKE 30000,201
15 print ".";
20 IF USR 30000 THEN PRINT "o": CONTINUE

This prints one dot and a lot of 'o's

But editing or subsequently running the program gives unexpected results - it doesn't return but also doesn't keep printing stuff.

Or it might return.

Or you might get a Statement Lost error.

It's very odd.
+3code

Post by +3code »

+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:32 pm CONTINUE without arguments makes a GOTO 1

CONTINUE as first statement in a line, or as IF blabla THEN CONTINUE (if that IF is the first statement in a line) makes a GOTO 1

Edit: but only with the first RUN, then goes crazy
Last edited by +3code on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
+3code

Post by +3code »

+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:05 pm
+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:32 pm CONTINUE without arguments makes a GOTO 1

CONTINUE as first statement in a line, or as IF blabla THEN CONTINUE (if that IF is the first statement in a line) makes a GOTO 1
Nice, thanks!
+3code

Post by +3code »

+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:06 pm
+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Nice, thanks!
Nothing, man
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

+3code wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:32 pm
equinox wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:45 pm The question (raised in the 48K manual about 40 years ago) about how to use CONTINUE inside a program is still unanswered and I've got some nice champagne truffles for anyone who has an answer before 1 January that sounds actually useful and not bullsh*t.
CONTINUE without arguments makes a GOTO 1

OK that's the most boring thing I've heard in my life, but ok, if you insist on a prize for that, I will send you truffles. I was hoping for something fun, or useful :D
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Pobulous wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:47 pm I did some testing on 128K with CONTINUE and got odd results. [...]
When you poke, all bets are off. I'll send this person truffles too if they want. Because I like the nasty POKE attitude.

lol I just actually tried the program... are you putting something in BC there? You have to use CONTINUE, you can't just -- oh god.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

[mention]equinox[/mention]

Because I like truffles....

By priming the system variables:
23662/23663 OLDPPC - Line number to which CONTINUE jumps.
23664 OSPCC - Number within line of statement to which CONTINUE jumps.

...You can use CONTINUE effectively as a GOTO a sub-statement within a line.

so

Code: Select all

5 print "Hello ";
10 poke 23662,100
15 poke 23663,0
20 poke 23664,3
25 continue
30 stop

100 print "Goodbye":print "There ":print "World"
Prints "Hello World".
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Crikey. That's a full corned beef and truffle sandwich for that one! Anyway...

END OF WEEK 50:

The canonical end-of-competition flurry continued unabated, until yesterday. And to think that I was originally planning to run this competition between February and November. Got to say, I'm glad I did it this way.

This final week's four contributions were:
#56 - Avoid Santa, for the 16K Spectrum by [mention]firelord[/mention] (which didn't get any demerits!);
#57 - Psycho 3, for the 16K Spectrum by Luny;
#58 - Dragon Tale (demo), for the Spectrum +3 by [mention]+3code[/mention];
#59 - Advanced Fishing Simulator, for the Spectrum +3 with ULAplus! by [mention]+3code[/mention].

That's the end of the last of the weekly round-ups. I never missed one, and that's because I run a tight ship. In just over five hours, it'll also be the end of the competition. I fully expect these to be the final entries, but you never know what might happen right at the bitter end...

Cheers to everyone, everywhere, who made a positive contribution (and anyone who might just squeeze a 60th entry in before the door slams shut).

I'm now finalising the Awards Ceremony! I don't expect anything to change in it at this stage, and I'll be revealing all over the weekend.

It's been an exciting journey.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:36 pm (and anyone who might just squeeze a 60th entry in before the door slams shut).
How much time we have until the competition is over?
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

[mention]TMD2003[/mention]

Just a heads up, game 58's download appears to be missing. And it looks AMAZING!!
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

firelord wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:47 pm How much time we have until the competition is over?
About three hours...

I sense something... coming.
uglifruit wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:51 pm Just a heads up, game 58's download appears to be missing. And it looks AMAZING!!
Oh, crap! Right, let me fix it.

Done! There was also another glaring error from much earlier int he year that nobody ever noticed, which I've also fixed.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

This is the clock you need to be watching...

23:58 in London, that's your deadline.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:05 pm

23:58 in London, that's your deadline.
Send ...
This is based on a very small Basic program I found on WOS.
It is an example of how good Sinclair basic was and is for beginners!
Last edited by firelord on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Well, we got to 60... again. Lee Tonks would be proud. Wouldn't he?

Right... *cracks knuckles* time for one final review for the year. Will it be the final review? Part of me is saying it had better be!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:43 pm Right... *cracks knuckles* time for one final review for the year. Will it be the final review? Part of me is saying it had better be!
Famous last words. With an hour and a half to go, I've just gone up to 61 entries. Guess who's going to be up half the night writing reviews for bare-bones last-last-last-minute entries at this stage?
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Sent a nanogame.
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

GODDAMMIT [mention]uglifruit[/mention]...

(I like it, though!)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

The last few reviews will be released tomorrow... I still have one to write. There could have been three further entries, but two were unfinished (and both really couldn't stay in an unfinished state just to get them into this competition), and the other is so complicated I might not be able to run it at all.

So apologies to Chris Born (that's Crisis from t'other forum), [mention]1024MAK[/mention] and [mention]flatduckrecords[/mention] - your entries were in time, but are going to have to be passed to the next host.

For now, I'm cream-crackered. I'm going to bed. Briefly...

Then there will be Awards and the reveal of the Bonus Games!
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:01 am And I had a 63rd entry with ONE MINUTE left to run! And it looks like it might take longer to look at than some of the others have done...
Sent mail:

Phew! Just squeaked in under the wire, thanks [mention]TMD2003[/mention]!

~ Edit ~
TMD2003 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:01 am So apologies to Chris Born (that's Crisis from t'other forum), @1024MAK and @flatduckrecords - your entries were in time, but are going to have to be passed to the next host.
Ahaha, I was inspired by the (magenta, I think?) award(s) and ended up going for something too convolouted. Should have had it in earlier in any case!

Thanks [mention]TMD2003[/mention], and congrats on a brilliant CSSCGC. Looking forward to the final results!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Thanks to [mention]TMD2003[/mention] making a year of Crap Games entertaining.

You were Terry Wogan to our second rate Eurovision entries.
CLEAR 23855
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:15 am Thanks @TMD2003, and congrats on a brilliant CSSCGC. Looking forward to the final results!
I spent most of today... well, yesterday, now... preparing those final results. And then, that 60th entry came in. Now I have more editing to do! Not much, but I thought it was all finished.

Three reviews will be posted as soon as I've finished the last one, then the Awards will come a bit later, and the Bonus Games on Sunday.

There will still be more to reveal after that - RZXs for the December games are pencilled in for Christmas Eve, and there's an RZX for the Bullseye Bonus Game as well which will be... probably, the day that the 2022 competition opens. I want to give everyone a chance to have a proper crack at it before the solution is revealed, because it isn't all over in a minute, like some of these have been!
uglifruit wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:29 am Thanks to @TMD2003 making a year of Crap Games entertaining.
You were Terry Wogan to our second rate Eurovision entries.
All together now: "My lovely horse, running through the... fields!"

Ireland, no points. Irlande, nul points. Irland, keine Punkte. Irööölü, nüüde püüde.

You're going to get a few treats this coming year yourself. That I guarantee.
+3code

Post by +3code »

As others said, tnks for the compo, was fun.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]TMD2003[/mention]. All planned and executed with military precision. Excellent stuff.