The first Wolfestein game ever

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

The first Wolfestein game ever

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Very surprised when I discovered that Muse Software released Castle Wolfestein in 1981 for Apple II, later on Atari 8-bit, C-64 and DOS:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/castle-wolfenstein

According to Mobygames, "This is the game that was the inspiration for id Software's Wolfenstein 3D. id even got a deal so they could use the name, since they couldn't think of anything better themselves", "[...] is notable for being one of the earliest games that incorporated stealth-based gameplay mechanics".

just imagine this game been ported to the Spectrum back in the day...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: The first Wolfestein game ever

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention],

Your post reminded me of Apogee software who as well as publishing Wolfenstein 3D in the early 90s also did a great range of Shareware platform titles like Commander Keen and Hocus Pocus.

I was part of an IT support team at the time and Friday afternoon we would all play Wolfenstein 3D across the College network on our IBM PS/2s.

I was crap at gaming then, and still am 30 years later!

Those were the days.

https://www.mobygames.com/company/apogee-software-ltd
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:03 pm I was part of an IT support team at the time and Friday afternoon we would all play Wolfenstein 3D across the College network on our IBM PS/2s.
Wow! That sounds amazing! :geek:

Wolfestein 3D was one of my fave DOS games by these years, the true first FPS ever.

I even enjoyed it more than when I later played Doom or Quake (sorry for the blasphemy!!!)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:03 pm @Juan F. Ramirez,

Your post reminded me of Apogee software who as well as publishing Wolfenstein 3D in the early 90s also did a great range of Shareware platform titles like Commander Keen and Hocus Pocus.
Apogee Software have unknowingly contributed to this year's WOOT!. You'll see how in a few days.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:03 pm Your post reminded me of Apogee software who as well as publishing Wolfenstein 3D in the early 90s also did a great range of Shareware platform titles like Commander Keen and Hocus Pocus.
Oh wow, just this morning I was idly thinking about the "jumpy up" game (as we called it) that I used to play when I visited my grandpa, but I couldn't remember the name of it; just that it was a educational/shareware Apogee thing. It was a big hit among my cousins at the time, but I haven't thought of it in close to 30 years. "I must look that up", I thought to myself…

I think it was closer to the end of the 90s until I finally discovered Wolfenstein though!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Glad it brought back some memories [mention]flatduckrecords[/mention]!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I think Apogee was the first company to implement the shareware system in videogames, isn't it?
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:03 pm @Juan F. Ramirez,

ah, yes Commander Keen. I remember playing the shareware version back in the 90s when I was promoted from the shop floor to the CAD office of the Control Panel Design company I worked for at the time. Each time my boss walked into the office whilst I was playing Commander Keen, Fate of Atlantis or Tetris I would turn the brightness down on my monitor and tell him that the PC needed rebooting.

When I moved to another CAD Company I spent several weeks building the company network, using IPX network cards because we were still using Windows for Workgroups 3.11. The network was supposed to have been implemented so would have a central server with all the design files on it, but most of the time it was used for playing networked games of Quake :lol: :lol:
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I loved games from Apogee :D

Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Commander Keen, Bio Menace, Halloween Harry, Monster Bash, Hocus Pocus,
Major Stryker, Realms of Chaos, all were great. And I'm writing these names from memory ;)

And later (without gooogling) I believe they became 3D Realms and released stuff like Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood which
was also great.

And then there was Duke Nukem Forever Saga which was a shame...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Duke Nukem 3D was also brilliant.

I remember also playing a sort of demo/game extension or whatever, where you play inside the White House