Christmas high score challenge is HERE!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: Christmas high score challenge is HERE!

Post by Morkin »

I'm sure I remember enjoying Deflector but I played a few games and like Pete failed miserably to get past level 1... :lol:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I started to enjoy it in the end. Level 2 is a steep learning curve but it doesn't really get harder after that. Got to level 12 I think.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Jbizzel wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:35 pm 46730

I started to enjoy it in the end. Level 2 is a steep learning curve but it doesn't really get harder after that. Got to level 12 I think.
Oof! Beaten by 1,100... Well done!
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Hi,
I had midnight session with Chuckie Egg. My top score is 22350 (6 level). I have real 'elevator issues' that are fatal most of time :(
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

As we go into the final event, here are the scores. I sense there is some EGGcellent Chuckys amongst us so its all to play for.

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Just a quick blast to get he ball rolling...

spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:13 pm As we go into the final event, here are the scores. I sense there is some EGGcellent Chuckys amongst us so its all to play for.

I did try Deflektor however my scores did not get into the highscore table, it was 1200 something as I'm useless at it, so its best disregarded :) No matter :D
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

[mention]spider[/mention] I think that game put some people off. It was very hard tbh. Your score would have still netted you 5 points. It was a low turn out.

Re Chucky egg, I feel level 6 is the first hurdle to get past for me, quite a few tricky jumps which often cost me many lives. On my quick go today I didn't get past it.

I love the level design, the learning curve, fast passed game play and responsive controls. This one of the very best spectrum games in my opinion. :)
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

I finally cleared the horrendously evil Level 32. Getting to the eggs at the top is the always challenge with the last screen layout and with the double the chickens it's nigh on impossible as you're relying on a bunch of things happening in perfect synchronisation. I'd saved up quite a few lives but burnt through them all and still had 2 eggs on the top row to get. I'd basically given up hope at that point but then the miraculous happened. I hoped I'd do better on the level after which happens at double speed, but I messed it up. Might have one more go before the round closes!

spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Jbizzel wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:47 pm @spider I think that game put some people off. It was very hard tbh. Your score would have still netted you 5 points. It was a low turn out.

Re Chucky egg, I feel level 6 is the first hurdle to get past for me, quite a few tricky jumps which often cost me many lives. On my quick go today I didn't get past it.

I love the level design, the learning curve, fast passed game play and responsive controls. This one of the very best spectrum games in my opinion. :)
Yes its certainly a bit different. I guess I'm just not processing it properly. It is something for me to revisit at a later stage though I think.

Moving onwards, a personal best for Chuckie Egg. I realise its going to be at the lower end of the rankings, if at all but I enjoyed it and that is imo the main thing. I played half a dozen times and this was the best score. It does get too hard with the Big Hen following you, but at least she's a bit slow and you can jump about, trying to avoid landing on another hen or falling through the gaps at the lifts!

I guess all those years with Manic Miner, JetSet Willy and other platform games have paid off! :lol:

:D
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Managed to get to level 24 with a score of 269,220, after losing many lives on level 22 (not for the first time!).

It's such a playable game, 9 times out of 10 death is a result of your poor timing or a bit of overconfidence. The lifts are far more forgiving than some games (Booty, I'm looking at you). I had some hilariously inept deaths, but also the odd moment of platforming brilliance. I love moments when you mistime a jump near the top of the screen, bounce around a few platforms, and yet end up on a lift that has *just* reappeared at the bottom!

RZX of my playthrough is here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTlVBT7m7TAg6NPfCN ... w?e=8EKDwB
Mikie
Microbot

Post by Mikie »

Is it allowed to submit a score that I achieved in a playthrough a few years earlier?
I don't have time to play now...
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

Final score of the night
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Currently, my Chuckie Egg hi score is 24,600. I've still yet to get off Level 6...

This has been my best achievement in the three hours I've been streaming it! Video evidence! [mention]namco[/mention] witnessed it!

I say "currently", I'm just going to have dinner, then I'm going to return to this. What a game. I mean, the term "classic" is so overused in retrogaming, but this one really is astoundingly good (even if I'm rather poor at it at the moment, where's my muscle memory gone?). So much better than yer Manic Miners, Jet Set Willys, Knight Lores...

I hope to respond to this thread later today with a >24,600 score!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

I managed to get to Level 33 again, this time with 4 or 5 lives remaining. Shortly afterwards I was reminded that Shift-Q instantly quits the game. Q also being the key I use for "up". Waaah! :cry:
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

clebin wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:15 pm I managed to get to Level 33 again, this time with 4 or 5 lives remaining. Shortly afterwards I was reminded that Shift-Q instantly quits the game. Q also being the key I use for "up". Waaah! :cry:
Oh no! That must have been gutting. But I suspect you are safely in number 1 position anyway. :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I have improved on my previous (level 6 based) score...

...'cos I got to level 7! Ooh, that's fiendishly insane.

As usual, video evidence!

If I've got this right, the scores currently stand as:

438590 (level 33) clebin
269220 (level 24) mousey
119570 spider
31920 (level 7) prodge
25070 (level 6) namcos
24330 jbizzel
22350 (level 6) catmeows
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

equinox wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:50 pm Not planning to play any more Chuckie Egg (and I suck at Deflektor), but here is the RZX proof of my 208,640 score:
https://paste.c-net.org/FiscalDinner

There are quite a few stupid deaths (missed the lift on level 3, ugh!) so it should be easily beatable. Like an egg. This game is very generous with the extra lives. Watch out for that ducky.
[mention]PeteProdge[/mention] Don’t forget equinox’s score. :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Mousey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:51 pm @PeteProdge Don’t forget equinox’s score. :)
Gah, how did I miss that?

438590 (level 33) clebin
269220 (level 24) mousey
208640 equinox
119570 spider
31920 (level 7) prodge
25070 (level 6) namcos
24330 jbizzel
22350 (level 6) catmeows
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Couple more goes and did better! Not going to be touching these CE experts!!

PS - level 8 and I ran out of time :(
Mikie
Microbot

Post by Mikie »

I don't have time to play now, but I have a rzx of a playthrough of Chuckie Egg I did in 2017. I did not play for a high score, I just wanted to play through the whole game, so I ended after level 40 with 2 lives and a score of 592780:
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:36 pm I have improved on my previous (level 6 based) score...

...'cos I got to level 7! Ooh, that's fiendishly insane.
I can't pass level 6, and my limit score is 25K, I must give up :D
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Level 8 just seems like a bit of a pain. Maybe I'm doing it wrong
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

I wasn't going to post another score but after [mention]Jbizzel[/mention] beat mine I decided to have another go and had another good run (Sorry [mention]PeteProdge[/mention])

That was level 11: