Sir Lancelot

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Sir Lancelot

Post by jdanddiet »

I've just interviewed Stephen Cargill about Sir Lancelot for Retro Gamer.

The graphics were created by Andrew Arnold, aka Arnie.
As far as Stephen is aware, he didn't work on any other games.

Interestingly, Stephen mentioned a completed game he wrote prior to Sir Lancelot called Attack Of The Mutant Micros. He reckons he has a tape of it somewhere so will update everyone if he finds it.

Watch out for the feature in a couple of months.

Cheers
Graeme
✓ Reviewed
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Re: Sir Lancelot

Post by Daveysloan »

Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

I adore this game. It's one of those games I would not have played as a kid, but came to it 10 years ago and fell in love with it.

But the bit where you die and have to wait 3 hours for the next go!!! :D :D

It was also ported to the

Z88
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:36 pmBut the bit where you die and have to wait 3 hours for the next go!!! :D :D
The Tipshop has a poke for that (no death tune):
https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/i ... ne%20House
MtM
Dizzy

Post by MtM »

It is still a great game, one, I think though I am probably wrong, of only two 16k Spectrum games to
get a Crash Smash, I think the other was The Train Game by Microsphere, but as I say I am happy to be
corrected on that.

The main tune on the title screen is excellent too. Maybe I will finish it one day ;-)
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Jbizzel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:36 pm But the bit where you die and have to wait 3 hours for the next go!!! :D :D
Don't die then. Simple! :mrgreen:

Can't be worse than Wanted Monty Mole's death sequence surely?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Thanks [mention]jdanddiet[/mention] Any information about roles and the real name of the authors is always welcome, so we can keep populating the database.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Daveysloan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:32 pm Image
Unfortunately, dropping Monty Python and the Holy Grail references into the article wasn't right for my idiom.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

jdanddiet wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:06 am I've just interviewed Stephen Cargill about Sir Lancelot for Retro Gamer.
Cool, I'm lookin forward to reading that. I always loved Sir Lancelot (also the first game I remade for the PC).

I was writing with Steven on and off from 2010 to 2014 and got a lot of his life history before and after coding for the Spectrum. He agreed to let me interview him for an article in Retro Gamer, but nothing ever came out of it. I guess he was too busy with RL things in the end and never got back to me. Too bad, but I'm glad you managed to succeed where I failed :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Will be interesting to read the interview.

Always quite liked Sir Lancelot.

Paul J reviewed it in a recent The Spectrum Show and got quite frustrated with it - I'd forgotten how awkward the second screen was, quite the difficulty spike. That screen could've probably been put a bit later in the game.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Morkin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 am Will be interesting to read the interview.

Always quite liked Sir Lancelot.

Paul J reviewed it in a recent The Spectrum Show and got quite frustrated with it - I'd forgotten how awkward the second screen was, quite the difficulty spike. That screen could've probably been put a bit later in the game.
Yep, I had a quick play yesterday and in comparison to screens 3 & 4 screen 2 is a bit of a b45t4rd!!!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Nice little Manic Miner clone for the lesser Spectrum.

Back in 1985-86, I think I reached as far as level 13. These days, I don't believe I would have enough patience to try to complete it :mrgreen:
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

stupidget wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 am
Morkin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 am ... I'd forgotten how awkward the second screen was, quite the difficulty spike. That screen could've probably been put a bit later in the game.
Yep, I had a quick play yesterday and in comparison to screens 3 & 4 screen 2 is a bit of a b45t4rd!!!
I think it's kind of a good thing that the player gets that difficult screen so early. If you die that early in the game you haven't wasted much time and can restart the game and start again. Imagine getting 15 screens in and getting this screen, which - unless you've had a lot of practice - will probably kill you. Much more frustrating ;)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Sokurah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 am
stupidget wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 am

I think it's kind of a good thing that the player gets that difficult screen so early. If you die that early in the game you haven't wasted much time and can restart the game and start again. Imagine getting 15 screens in and getting this screen, which - unless you've had a lot of practice - will probably kill you. Much more frustrating ;)
Haha - that's an interesting take on things.. I suppose if you beat screen two you've also then learned most of the skills needed to get you a lot further in the game, Dark Souls style.. ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

MtM wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm It is still a great game, one, I think though I am probably wrong, of only two 16k Spectrum games to
get a Crash Smash, I think the other was The Train Game by Microsphere, but as I say I am happy to be
corrected on that.

The main tune on the title screen is excellent too. Maybe I will finish it one day ;-)
Deathchase is the only other 16K Smash I can think of. Although strictly speaking that was a Game of The Month, not a Smash.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Vampyre wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:25 am
MtM wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm It is still a great game, one, I think though I am probably wrong, of only two 16k Spectrum games to
corrected on that.

Deathchase is the only other 16K Smash I can think of. Although strictly speaking that was a Game of The Month, not a Smash.
Strictly speaking, Deathchase was "New Game of the Month".
Durell's Jungle Trouble was the actual "Game of the Month" in the same issue of Crash, and that was 16k too.