48K music tracker? does such a thing exist?

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
Altairst8te48k
Drutt

48K music tracker? does such a thing exist?

Post by Altairst8te48k »

Does a spectrum music tracker exist? something like Protracker but AY sounds instead of samples...

I have always wondered if such a thing existed! surprised I have took so long to find out.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: 48K music tracker? does such a thing exist?

Post by Stefan »

There's Soundtracker, although this is classed as 128K. There's also SQ-Tracker. And there is also a soundtracker which uses samples, although I cannot find it in ZXDB at the moment - Yerzmyey has created all sorts of fantastic compositions.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Found it, just needed to read a bit more carefully, it’s Sample Tracker .

Yerzmyey sets the bar very high. https://youtu.be/5QToYfmMygw
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I think most people use Vortex Tracker 2 for AY. For 48k with no AY, i.e beeps, you can try Beepola.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Yup, Beepola is a really good one for multi-channel 48K beeper music. It runs on PC and includes a number of different replay engines. I usually end up using the Plip-Plop player, though that has a bug in it such that it can't cope if the tune data rolls over a 256-byte page. I think it's a INC E you need to change to INC DE. Which is fairly easy as you can export the tune and player as an assembly listing. Also handy if you want to include multiple tunes but only one player.
http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/beepola/
Thompson
Drutt

Post by Thompson »

Stefan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 pm Found it, just needed to read a bit more carefully, it’s Sample Tracker
It requires additional hardware (Covox or DAC output), developed IICR for Russian Speccy clones. But I think that Czech/Slovakian enthusiasts made something similar.
So it's not plain vanilla ZX48k solution
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

Thompson wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:44 pm
Stefan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 pm Found it, just needed to read a bit more carefully, it’s Sample Tracker
It requires additional hardware (Covox or DAC output), developed IICR for Russian Speccy clones. But I think that Czech/Slovakian enthusiasts made something similar.
So it's not plain vanilla ZX48k solution
No, it does not require additional hardware. The tracker editor (and song compiler) can output to:
  • AY chip
  • Speaker
  • D/A out
The quality of the output obviously differs greatly between these three.