Editing pieces of a program (i.e. text) from PC

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
alban lusitanae
Drutt

Editing pieces of a program (i.e. text) from PC

Post by alban lusitanae »

Hi to all

I was thinking to just for fun change a few of the texts in old games and programs with a PC Program
without damaging the integrity of the program. I used DiskX in the AMiga, where it read sectors of the 3 1.2 disk
and presented clear text found in the middle of the programming.

Do we have any PC Program which (like a kind of debugger or something) enter and locate text bits which we can edit?

I don't want to change routines and graphics, or anything like that, just the texts.

Best regards
Luis Lima
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Editing pieces of a program (i.e. text) from PC

Post by Alessandro »

For this task, I use ZX-Blockeditor. Just double-click on the code block you want to modify, select "ASC" in the drop-down menu. Then you can scroll through the code and modify each character by double-clicking on it.

p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

You can edit snapshot files ( .Z80 / .SNA ) in any hex editor, if you just want to find / change text.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

You can indeed use a hex editor for any files. Just keep in mind that editing TAP and TZX files will affect the checksum, which will have to be recalculated. For tape blocks that use the standard XOR method for the checksum byte, I find Tapir to be very convenient. It’ll highlight the offending block in red and will report the expected checksum for you.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

If you are working with a snapshot, you could just use any emulator with a debugger. Switch the display from binary to text and you'll see your texts.

With tape images, just like others, I would recommend Zx Blockeditor. It'll deal with the checksum for you, while any random editor probably won't
alban lusitanae
Drutt

Alessandro wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:51 pm For this task, I use ZX-Blockeditor. Just double-click on the code block you want to modify, select "ASC" in the drop-down menu. Then you can scroll through the code and modify each character by double-clicking on it.

Do you have the best / safe link for the latest version incvlusing the ZX Modules? It seems the site is down
alban lusitanae
Drutt

Ralf wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:17 am If you are working with a snapshot, you could just use any emulator with a debugger. Switch the display from binary to text and you'll see your texts.

With tape images, just like others, I would recommend Zx Blockeditor. It'll deal with the checksum for you, while any random editor probably won't
Ok i tried Spectaculator. Interesting. Will take the modules and test